• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Some Nikasil scoring normal?

A
Aug 20, 2008
I just got back from the mountains and decided to check engine (about 170 miles) 08 m8. With a light shining into the exhaust outlets, I can see some nikasil finish gone 1/4 by 1 inch long on pto back side of cylinder and smaller strip on mag side. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Sled runs really well?

Thanks

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
scoring

If they are scored it is not good if there is some marks on them that is normal you need feel them and is if they have any depth to them are they in the back between the ports if so that is normal

A
Aug 20, 2008
Maybe my terminology is wrong, maybe it is not scoring. There is no depth to the nakasil marks port side and they are very smooth. Should I be concerned?

Thanks

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
streaking is probably what is happening and if there is no depth or feel to marks then you have no real issue, but it isnt a bad idea to keep and eye on it. I have had this happen in first 5 minutes of starting a new engine and I phoned plater about it and he said not to worry about it.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
streaking is probably what is happening and if there is no depth or feel to marks then you have no real issue, but it isnt a bad idea to keep and eye on it. I have had this happen in first 5 minutes of starting a new engine and I phoned plater about it and he said not to worry about it.

x2^^^

Premium Features