• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So who ran a single pipe on their 850?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
I think there are a couple single pipe options out there.

What did you run it with, head, can, controller, etc... ?

Good....Bad ...???

Last edited:

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
Built a show sled at work this year. Khaos with the Straightline singe pipe, Straightline clutching with ZRP lightweight mass kit. First day out we had a issue with it hitting DET alot. Changed plugs and got fresh gas in it and it Rips! Felt way stronger than my two other friends stock Khaos's did this year.... We only had it out for 2 days though so not much seat time yet.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I have a Straightline pipe if anyone is interested. About a 100 miles excellent cond.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Tried a BMP setup.....

No thanks, seemed to have more power for a second but then as I stayed on the gas I just kept loosing power (liked almost 1k RPM) on a long 1 minute pull up through the woods. The day with the BMP pipe on is the only day in over 1K miles now on the sled it has ever run that poorly. Normally after a super long pull I excpect slight fade due to system heat soak but this was on a different level.

Stock pipe pulls hard and clean every day and runs the same all the time..

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Some things to keep in mind when reading a "review", also some things to include if you are writing a review.

Snowmobilers tend to suffer from "placebo effect"-- "I spent X amount of dollars, it must be better"

Reviewers area of riding: flat, steep, sea level, 10,000+', dry powder, wet coastal snow, etc

Type of riding, trail vs off trail, trees and drainages, open bowls, chute climbing

Number of miles a reviewer typically does, IN THE MOUNTAINS, OFF Trail

Current mileage on sled and when mod was installed---Currently, there are a LOT of 2020 850s for sale--some stock, some modified with 3-500 miles on them. A LOT of these sleds are not even out of break in mode. Fueling/ Timing is radically different post break in.

Personally, I typically ride 2-2500 miles per year. When home, I can ride right from my property. When the snow sucks here (like it did for a lot of this year) I chase pow all over the intermountain West. I spent over 7 weeks on the road this year primarily in McCall, ID (thanks GreenState) and Wyoming (thanks TRS) putting 1200+ miles on my sled on the road, plus 1000+ miles at home (we are still riding here). The reason I bring this up is that problems/ experiences I encounter with my sleds are diffferent from the guy who might ride 300-500 miles per season and get a new sled every year.

There are a ton of great products in the snowmobile industry, and there is a lot of untested JUNK that is brought to market. I have seen glowing reviews about products from certain members over the years and followed their builds. Then I see those same sleds up for sale and the posted mileage on the sled is sub-500 miles.... doh!

So reviewers, add as much pertinent information that you can in your review.

Review readers-- try and take the reviewers experience in the context of where they ride/ what they ride/ what style of riding they do

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Some things to keep in mind when reading a "review", also some things to include if you are writing a review.

Snowmobilers tend to suffer from "placebo effect"-- "I spent X amount of dollars, it must be better"

Reviewers area of riding: flat, steep, sea level, 10,000+', dry powder, wet coastal snow, etc

Type of riding, trail vs off trail, trees and drainages, open bowls, chute climbing

Number of miles a reviewer typically does, IN THE MOUNTAINS, OFF Trail

Current mileage on sled and when mod was installed---Currently, there are a LOT of 2020 850s for sale--some stock, some modified with 3-500 miles on them. A LOT of these sleds are not even out of break in mode. Fueling/ Timing is radically different post break in.

Personally, I typically ride 2-2500 miles per year. When home, I can ride right from my property. When the snow sucks here (like it did for a lot of this year) I chase pow all over the intermountain West. I spent over 7 weeks on the road this year primarily in McCall, ID (thanks GreenState) and Wyoming (thanks TRS) putting 1200+ miles on my sled on the road, plus 1000+ miles at home (we are still riding here). The reason I bring this up is that problems/ experiences I encounter with my sleds are diffferent from the guy who might ride 300-500 miles per season and get a new sled every year.

There are a ton of great products in the snowmobile industry, and there is a lot of untested JUNK that is brought to market. I have seen glowing reviews about products from certain members over the years and followed their builds. Then I see those same sleds up for sale and the posted mileage on the sled is sub-500 miles.... doh!

So reviewers, add as much pertinent information that you can in your review.

Review readers-- try and take the reviewers experience in the context of where they ride/ what they ride/ what style of riding they do
Murph, such critical critcal points. this is especially meaningful for guys who do mods before riding their sled.

I had about 300 miles on my sled before putting the pipe on, We had a pile of early season snow and I was riding the same zone every few days. The snow was super consistant, weather very similar day to day and I had a great feel for how the 2020 was running at this point. I also had 2 other 2020 khaos sleds I was riding with every time so had a solid grasp on how they should be performing. I put the pipe on and immediately when i got to the real hills from the trail noticed the sled just flat not performing like it had been. I rode for a full day, inspected clutches etc to ensure nothing was broken. The performance loss was so frustrating that I could not get myself to run it a second day. Go home, swap back to stock, and now 800 miles later on the stock pipe. 0 issues with the sled and can condifently say that the addition of the BMP reduced the perforamnce of the sled 100% in the mountains at 8-1000'.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Seen a million big bores with placebo effect. Make more noise so they thought the were making more power and a well clutched stocker would beat them. 800 kit for a m7. Everyone was selling like hot cakes and they were a joke. I even talked to guys that thought they were awesome and they didn't know becaus they never compared them to anything. Just made more noise.

Premium Features