• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So how are the Velocity shocks?

I wouldn't say that they're better or worse but different. They definitely bottom less and spend more time in the middle of the stroke. Along with that comes a very stable and predictable ride. To me it's a little too stable and takes away from the fun factor, I also prefer the quick - easy 3 position switch on the QS-3 shocks.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Teal, I have been curious about this myself. My buddy just installed a riot with those shocks and asked me where I should set them. I don’t have any idea. What would you recommend? On the QS-3’s that I have I pretty much go back-and-forth between “climb” mode and “wheelie” mode. Or as what I sometimes call fun mode, and more fun mode. I spend most of my time with the front shock on soft in the rear locked out. Especially early season when it’s deep and hollow like it has been here in Utah lately. Pretty much rides like an Aro 120.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Velocity shocks on my axys work very well for adjusting to conditions.

Some general notes velocity shock specific.

Low speed compression adjustment (small inner knob) is your wheelie control on the rear shock. Loose = wheelie tight = climb

Front shock low speed soft climbs on top of powder.

Outer knob is bottom out control and big bump compliance.

Soft low speed compression soaks up chatter bumps all around.

Last edited:
Teal, I have been curious about this myself. My buddy just installed a riot with those shocks and asked me where I should set them. I don’t have any idea. What would you recommend? On the QS-3’s that I have I pretty much go back-and-forth between “climb” mode and “wheelie” mode. Or as what I sometimes call fun mode, and more fun mode. I spend most of my time with the front shock on soft in the rear locked out. Especially early season when it’s deep and hollow like it has been here in Utah lately. Pretty much rides like an Aro 120.

I don't have a ton of time playing with settings on the velocity shocks. But for wheelie factor loosen up the slow speed compression on the rear, tighten it to keep the ski more planted.

I agree with everything sheetmetalfab posted.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I don't have a ton of time playing with settings on the velocity shocks. But for wheelie factor loosen up the slow speed compression on the rear, tighten it to keep the ski more planted.

I agree with everything sheetmetalfab posted.
Thanks fellows. Great place to start.

S
Dec 14, 2009
Idaho
Do the clickers drastically affect bottoming resistance?

I had the chance to ride an ARO with the velocity shocks last weekend and it bottomed much easier than I expected.

I didn't realize they don't have external rebound adjustment either.

S
Mar 14, 2019
Velocity shocks on my axys work very well for adjusting to conditions.

Some general notes velocity shock specific.

Low speed compression adjustment (small inner knob) is your wheelie control on the rear shock. Loose = wheelie tight = climb

Front shock low speed soft climbs on top of powder.

Outer knob is bottom out control and big bump compliance.

Soft low speed compression soaks up chatter bumps all around.
I think you have that a little backwards. High speed compression (red outside knob) is for sharp, quick, undulating or what’s commonly called “square” bumps. Low speed compression (silver inside knob) is for landing a drop, or slower shock piston movements, such as loading the suspension in a corner or g outs.

Premium Features