• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobiling Guardsman Pass could be a thing of the past!!

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
I know there's been talk for years about closing off Guardsman's to snowmobiles, and I've just now heard about this latest ordeal, regarding that area (guess I've had my head in the sand).

Please take the survey (shouldn't take more than 5 minutes) and share with friends and please keep comments respectful.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M7LGJGG

For questions 5 & 6, please use the comment box for the "other" selection if you would like to address snowmobiling specifically as they only have "motorized vehicles" as a category. Please also consider showing up at the Park City council meeting on November 9th at 6:00 PM as this is a public comment meeting. If you do go to the meeting, again, please keep the comments respectful. We want to make ourselves, and the sport, look as good as we possibly can. Please share this survey with friends before time runs out!

Here's a link to a Facebook page with lot's of good information on this subject.

https://www.facebook.com/Bonanza-Flat-Snowmobile-Alliance-349207712202954

BonanzaFlatsWebmapV3.jpg

Missy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2012
Samak, UT
www.MissysRealEstate.com
I just saw this. Did anyone make it to the meeting in PC?

I had a girlfriend and her husband go to the meeting. From her summary, it sounded like they were going to allow it this season and assess what messes/damage is done by riders in the area and determine by next season what will happen for sure. ??? Not exactly sure because this was second hand information.

Marty UT

Stirring the pot
Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Utah
Here's a short summary of the meeting, from the Bonanza Flats Snowmobile Alliance page on Facebook.

bf0198381eede50e080c7e96c77a8df1.jpg

Last edited:

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Here's a short summary of the meeting, from the Bonanza Flats Snowmobile Alliance page on Facebook.

bf0198381eede50e080c7e96c77a8df1.jpg

Bonanza Flat was traditionally under the ownership of United Park City Mines. The firm allowed the public to use the acreage for decades with few restrictions. Snowmobiles were permitted. The Talisker corporate family took control of the land through the acquisition of United Park City Mines with few changes to the loose policies that governed Bonanza Flat. City Hall acquired the property earlier in the year from lenders that brought a foreclosure case against the Talisker corporate family. The acquisition, for conservation purposes, puts the municipal government in the position to create a plan outlining the activities that will be allowed.

Mayor elect lying ????

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID

So in one breath he says snowmobilers trespassed on private property for years then admitted skiing up there, also trespassing? The gall of this dude is amazing....

That said...I no longer live in Utah but grew up and learned to ride on Bonanza Flat on Yamaha Enticer 250's and 300's. Built snow caves as a scout, snowboarded, and generally really enjoyed that area. I've been all over that mountainside. I was worried when park city bought the land that this would happen, and now it is coming to fruition. Interestingly, Guardsman road is a state highway managed by UDOT, so I'm not sure they can even gate it.

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
Murray Utah
they cannot gate it and deny access across private land if it is the only throughfare. Similar thing happened a dozen years ago at Traverse mountain in Lehi. The road to the flight park crosses private property and the landowner fenced and gated it, denying access to the hang-gliding and RC flight parks. The courts stepped in and required him to keep the gates open. The problem I see with Guardsman's and Bonanza is that too many "Soft-core" riders use the area because its close. They don't know that ALL of Salt lake county is watershed and off limits to sleds except the road in guardsmans and east canyon. Any off road travel ruins our argument and bargaining power with the anit- sled peeps. Sad to admit it but we are losing acreage every year to those who are more determined to fight than we are.

Premium Features