• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile Gear/Brand Advice

H
Apr 30, 2009
Kansas
Hey guys I’m looking at getting back into the mountain snowmobile scene. The last time I rode was in 08. Sadly all the Arctiva gear I had no longer fits....my belly grew with my age a bit. I’m wanting to find the best bang for my buck. I prefer bibs and a coat. I’m just curious if you guys have any suggestions and or places you buy from with great discounts. I want it to me something warm yet maneuverable.

Thanks

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Lots of Motorfist gear on big discounts out there, including their own site, and web sellers - lots of odd sizes, best bang for buck. AC/Textron owns Motorfist, and given Textron's unconventional approach to powersports, who knows where they'll go with the brand. Good gear can be bought at a great price. Klim is great gear, top shelf, but you have to hunt harder for deals. Most, not all, will be some of the longest lasting gear you can buy. Poo owns Klim. Lots of good gear out there - for mountain riding, find what FITS, can be layered well for you, from cold to warm, and breathes for how you ride, with a pack, helmet and gloves.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Buying the "best" gear you can "afford" is where to start. When you are on the mountain and cold, wet and or frustrated......you will pay just about anything for better gear so do it right. With that I personally recommend taking a look at the Klim line.

You mentioned "mountain" riding, so with that I would also recommend layers and NO cotton!!!

triedit

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
sheridan wy
Buying the "best" gear you can "afford" is where to start. When you are on the mountain and cold, wet and or frustrated......you will pay just about anything for better gear so do it right. With that I personally recommend taking a look at the Klim line.

You mentioned "mountain" riding, so with that I would also recommend layers and NO cotton!!!
Kim

C
Nov 29, 2008
Klim is generally great but if your tree riding be prepared to replace it after a couple of seasons. Trees are still tougher than the fabric and the stock boards on the pro + aftermarket versions are hard on gear. Nows the time to check the clearance racks for klim / fxr / motofist / tobe / etc. Mix and match as long as its quality gear, fits properly and the price is right .....save money for gas and repairs!

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
When price is considered, I end up having a hard time looking away from FXR. Getting my son all outfitted we have gone back to FXR time after time as there always seems to be a good sale or a good value with that brand.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I wear a combination of Klim/Tobe. The gloves I got from Klim last year had the lettering fall off with only 3 days of riding.

The Rex mono from Tobe is badass if you like to tree ride. 2 seasons and it looks brand new.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Little update. I needed a new helmet and boot for myself. A lot of brands were available and I tried on some of all of them. In the end I ended up walking out with 509 for both based on in-store comfort and price. Now the real test starts to see how well they hold up over the years.

For the boots particularly, I wanted to like the TOBE brand, but for my feet particularly, they pressed in on my ankle bones. The new Klim boots also had pressure spots on my feet, which was weird because my old Klim boots bought right around 2015 were super comfy.

E
Jan 17, 2018
Little update. I needed a new helmet and boot for myself. A lot of brands were available and I tried on some of all of them. In the end I ended up walking out with 509 for both based on in-store comfort and price. Now the real test starts to see how well they hold up over the years.

For the boots particularly, I wanted to like the TOBE brand, but for my feet particularly, they pressed in on my ankle bones. The new Klim boots also had pressure spots on my feet, which was weird because my old Klim boots bought right around 2015 were super comfy.

The Tobe boots have to break in as they are primarily leather - they need a couple rides kind of like Cowboy boots or work boots.
I bought new Klims last year and couldn't stand them - sold them after the first ride lol That was after having the same pair for 8 years

Premium Features