• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowhawk back in business

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Good deal , I mounted a home made torque arm on the PTO side since there's three different points it can be done.
View attachment 402491
The ring gear is gone, I was warned that you can't run that clutch on an 800, not true, better than any flinging hammer you can put on it. All the mass stays centralized. Engagement is 2850.
There is a warning on running this clutch, it does not have the weight those others have and if you have a questionable crank that needs the mass don't do it.
Reason why I mention that is do some research on that year 800 you have. It was the transition from an HO to a eTec.
Say high to the crew also :)
I really love what you've done there. Thanks for sharing. Never ridden a SnowHawk but would if given the chance.

R
Apr 18, 2016
I am a big guy, 6'4" 280 ex college football lineman in a past life and I've always wanted to try one of these things. It seems like it would work to me. Yes the front looks wider but it looks shorter and has the nuts. I'm on a CR500 powered snowbike and have ridden all my buddies 450's in various skid lengths. I have to ride half way around the mountain sideways to be able to get up anything. Our snowbikes are 60hp before we put on the skid, after if you could dyno one I but it doesn't put down 40. These things are fun but they are pooches. I'd like to try the snowhawk, I'd like to see what it does in my terrain, I'd like to see what it does with my gorilla butt on it and see if with some manipulation it could do what the snowbike does...I might be able to point it...I never get to do that.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
It really depends on what kind of riding you have access to.

Some areas like this below the Hawk is usually going at a faster clip than most other one or two skis.

Normally the trees are more of a solo run unless it's about getting to what's behind those trees that sleds are usually heading to.
The pace of bikes to make that distance and conserve fuel to make a full day isn't as likely for them to run that far or do it at a much more casual pace.

Those that I know prefer to stay closer and enjoy the trees. Plenty of trouble to get into there.
Sleds, bikes, Hawks all run at a different pace and knowing the happy zone can make or break the day so usually someone is going to take a beating if the group is ignorant and that could be any of the three.

I enjoy riding with all of them as long as the group has an open mind because they all have thier moments.
There's been times after a long day I'd trade anyone for two skis just to put on auto pilot and there's times I'd want that cushy skid of a bike and also because sitting down on a Hawk is usually when it catches me off guard.

IMG_20230402_150911356_HDR.jpg

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Switched out the drivers for 2.86 extroverts.
IMG_20171101_093034157.jpg
The track is a camso 154 Peak 2.5 cut down, and a lot of trimming.

I raised the heat exchanger about an inch for the longer length lugs.
The body panel still fits but is tight. More labor then I care to think about :)
IMG_20171125_164910398.jpg
She sounds good in you video, I'm taking it there's still plenty of throttle to spare.

They can get ugly once their tapped into and let loose :)

K
Dec 7, 2010
Switched out the drivers for 2.86 extroverts.
View attachment 411432
The track is a camso 154 Peak 2.5 cut down, and a lot of trimming.

I raised the heat exchanger about an inch for the longer length lugs.
The body panel still fits but is tight. More labor then I care to think about :)
View attachment 411434
She sounds good in you video, I'm taking it there's still plenty of throttle to spare.

They can get ugly once their tapped into and let loose :)
Hello Hawkster! Thanks a lot for picture! How 154" in deep snow? Maybe do you have video?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Hello Hawkster! Thanks a lot for picture! How 154" in deep snow? Maybe do you have video?
:) hey kotloff, the length has a big factor on flotation but like everything there's pros and cons.

The 136 is the emergency back up but I won't run it by choice when there's any kind of good snow.

It still takes longer to get up on step then a width of a 15 or wider track but is noticeable better then a shorter length Hawk but no where near as long as it takes the 136 to get on step.

You loose some nimbleness going longer, no different then a sled but the benefits out way the cons for me there.

The skid is a big big deal, the 3 shock skid is a trencher, it was not designed to float, it's uncoupled and is designed to dig for traction. The 2 upright shock is much better and the coupler is adjustable for conditions. I have mine set as light as possible and if you carry a wrench you can crank on it in the field.

I'm just babbling and probably telling you things you know. No videos but conditions like below I still take my Hawk over a sled.

IMG_20190218_152149166.jpg

I think I have enough saddle time to say that width is better then length but that's not gonna happen unless you do some serious altercations to the Hawk.

Premium Features