• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowbikes Banned In Montana????

S

screech

Nov 23, 2009
I just heard from some people locally that a law just passed that would ban the use of all snow bikes in MT. Has any other MT riders heard this?? Something about it not being considered factory or fitting into the snowmobile category. I am not sure if this is true, just want to hear if anyone else in MT has heard this... thanks

M
Mar 7, 2008
I don't think so. I just ran into a forest service ranger just off Buck Creek by Big Sky and we were talking about the snowbikes out. He did not indicate that was a problem.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
that rumor went around mn too, talked to a big time dnr officer he said the rumor may have come from the law that outlaws atvs with tracks on front and back.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
get real

this cant be happening!!! once again it is lawmakers with no common sence. I sure hope this is not happening as it will kill the best thing going for our sport.

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Both are banned on groomed trails in Washington also. The issue was the ATVs tearing up the trail system, so they lumped the bikes in with them.

Would you think getting these bikes also registered as OSV's like a snowmobile would help the cause? I know it's kind of a grey area now but perhaps this is a good time to be proactive.

I'm going to call Rob Carlin at the Flathead National Forest office in Kalispell and talk with him Monday. If there is anything going on with any kind of closure, he'd know about it.

Last edited:

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Both are banned on groomed trails in Washington also. The issue was the ATVs tearing up the trail system, so they lumped the bikes in with them.

No truth to this rummer.. We license our bikes with a dual tag, one for snowmobiles and the other a plate or ORV tag..
A snowmobile in wa. is defined as a vehicle with a track for propulsion and a ski for steering.
A quad does not have skis for steering and is banned.

S
Jan 16, 2012
Lewiston, Idaho
Offroad rider is correct as it is the same here in Idaho. 16.00 for summer use and then another 32.00 for the snow due to the track and ski steering. That is how they instantly use taxed the snowbikes in Idaho due to existing legislation. Due to the way it is written they can not outlaw them with out going back and rewriting and specifically discriminating. Don't see that happening due to user fees and the ability to generate revenue unless specifically sought after by a group.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Offroad rider is correct as it is the same here in Idaho. 16.00 for summer use and then another 32.00 for the snow due to the track and ski steering. That is how they instantly use taxed the snowbikes in Idaho due to existing legislation. Due to the way it is written they can not outlaw them with out going back and rewriting and specifically discriminating. Don't see that happening due to user fees and the ability to generate revenue unless specifically sought after by a group.

same in mn

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
No truth to this rummer.. We license our bikes with a dual tag, one for snowmobiles and the other a plate or ORV tag..
A snowmobile in wa. is defined as a vehicle with a track for propulsion and a ski for steering.
A quad does not have skis for steering and is banned.

SD has the same requirement for operation on trails. Track driven - ski steered and licensed as a snowmobile. However since motorcycles and snowmobiles are titled in SD most have found switching registrations between motorcycle and snowmobile difficult.

S
Mar 26, 2009
Mountains
ATV with tracks

So what happens if you have a ATV that has tracks on the rear and skis on the front is it legal to ride the trail system.Because Manta and Radiers are set up like that.

Premium Features