• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snow bike "friendly" DMVs in Washington?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Going to put this in the WA section too, but anyone have recent experience register ing a snowbike for the first time in the Seattle area or Kittitas county?
The bike I bought this year is already WA registered by the previous owner using the track kit vin, not the bike. Previous snowbike, I couldn't find a dmv that would register the kit and not the bike. That was several years ago. I'd prefer to keep it that way . Hoping by just transferring the current registration to my name, can get the tags for the kit again. But I see WA dol now has a snowbike affidavit form to fill out so they're getting smarter about it.
Any "good" DOL offices?

FlyingW

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dayton, WA
The legislature worked on it last session so that you can register the dual sport bike as a snowmobile without having to give up your street plate on your bike. Last year I couldn't get a snowmobile registration for my bike because of the street plate but this winter it should be available although I haven't gone in to try yet.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Yes, I saw the new affidavit for dual purpose registrations .
I did register my newly purchased snowbike last week
In short , I was able to register the Timbersled kit.
Explained it in the WA forum

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I just asked her at the DMV here in Utah and she told me I had to bring my bike in get it registered as a snowmachine, and get a new sticker. I would’ve had no idea if I hadn’t asked when I was registering a different dirtbike. Obviously there’s going to be a big confusion here. Hopefully the cops don’t enforce.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
I just asked her at the DMV here in Utah and she told me I had to bring my bike in get it registered as a snowmachine, and get a new sticker. I would’ve had no idea if I hadn’t asked when I was registering a different dirtbike. Obviously there’s going to be a big confusion here. Hopefully the cops don’t enforce.
I don't know... one year I was able to... last year they said I had to register it as a dirtbike here in heber and they would not let me register it as a snowmobile...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
It was the DMV in Park city where I asked. She said I would have to put the kit on the bike bring it back to get “inspected” and then I would get my snowmachine sticker. I’m not gonna do it until a cop tells me I have to.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
It was the DMV in Park city where I asked. She said I would have to put the kit on the bike bring it back to get “inspected” and then I would get my snowmachine sticker. I’m not gonna do it until a cop tells me I have to.
So they told me they would have to look with the kit... then they went out and looked and still gave me a dirt bike sticker go figure

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Good luck, sounds more clueless than WA if that's possible
At least I got the same story more than once , which was have to title and then register the bike as a snowmobile.
I said, just because my bike dresses like a snomachine sometimes doesn't mean it identifies as a snomachine!

Wonder what the other thousands of snobike riders do?

Premium Features