• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slp pipe ?

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
So how is everyone liking there slp pipe? Rode a pro with a slp pipe and could not ready tell the difference. Can you fell the difference on the axys with the pipe?

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
The SLP pipe responds better to the new 800 HO motor then it did on the old pro 800. The best part about it is no fuel controller is required.

Last edited:
R
Dec 8, 2010
I have the same question. Is it really worth doing the pipe or just the can? The comparisons I have been able to do, it seems like the stock sled is more snappy out of the hole but the slp pipe has more top end. Both sleds were 155 2.6's. Curious to see what others have found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Rode my sled stock for 150 miles. Was pulling 8500 RPM with MTX 74g weights and a 150/340 spring (0-3000'). Put SLP pipe on and added just 1g to heel and was over-revving. Need to add 2g more. So overall I will be pulling 3g more than stock so it definitely is making more power.

I agree it seemed the stock sled had just a little more bottom end snap right off engagement, but mid range and top end has more power. I would say it is an easy win-win, weight loss of 14lbs and gaining hp with no tuner required. I personally DON"T love the sound of the tinny pipe, but at least it isn't obnoxiously loud.

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
As you can see on BMP dyno graph, their aftermarket pipe loose some low-mid hp vs stock when you don't have the fuel controller. When you have the fuel controller it is making more HP everywhere. I guess it is the same with SLP pipe.

C

chap

Dec 10, 2007
It looked to me that the BMP pipe loses more horsepower through the midrange than the SLP pipe. The SLP pipe is very close to stock from bottom through the midrange.......at least on the dyno sheet.

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
I dont have the graph and the dyno test done by Dynotech but we might have our answer there to compare the low-mid from SLP vs BMP vs Stock.

One thing for sure, the BMP gained a lot in the low-mid with the fuel controller.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
When I put the SLP pipe on I immediately gained 150-200 RPM with no other changes, so it definately makes more power. I actually thought my sled had even better throttle response with the SLP pipe vs. stock. You need to clutch with the pipe to load the engine hard or you can get a hesitation. If you look at the dyno chart, the only area you are lossing HP is around the 7250-7750 range, and even then it's only 1-2 HP. For my riding style I'm either below 7000 or full throttle, so I'm just quickly passing through the 7250-7750 range anyway. I weighed the SLP pipe/silencer vs stock and it was 14.2 pounds lighter on my scale. To me the pipe/silencer was a no brainer compared to just a silencer since you don't have to use a controller. I would think that the BMP pipe/silencer performs comparably.

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I dont have the graph and the dyno test done by Dynotech but we might have our answer there to compare the low-mid from SLP vs BMP vs Stock.

One thing for sure, the BMP gained a lot in the low-mid with the fuel controller.

All pipes are not equal, bump pipe made the most peak by 1 hp by raising the rpm by a extra hundred or two rpm above the others, but that's at a expense of the mid range. The ssi and slp showed the broadest hp gain across the board.
The reason the fuel controller makes such a difference is that it also controls timing. They bump the timing to help the loss of power from pipe in the mid range.
Pipes all have give n takes. Take 1 thing 1 way to far and it will effect another thing.
Mid range vs top end.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
This SLP pipe is the first time in several years that I thought it was enough of a gain to warrant installing. Its a true 14lb weight loss and the HP gain is very easy to see / feel. We have three 163x3 sleds in our group, one is all stock, one is stock with an SLP can, and my sled is stock with the SLP pipe and can. the stock sled is running 10-64's, the one with the can is 10-66's and I'm running 10-69's and turning 83-8400. You can also see the same results with track speed, 36mph, 39mph, 41mph. All sleds have around 250 miles on them and are fully out of the break-in period. Eric

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I don't see any problem breaking your sled in with the pipe one. Its just running more efficient. SLP has been making pipes a long time and have a reputation for quality. If someone is not seeing any gains then the installation and calibration of the clutching and other components may not be right. Of course not everyone can feel a 9 HP gain either.

D
Oct 13, 2008
I could not feel the 9 hp gain on either of our new rmk axys sleds, but then again I did not ride them without the stage 2 kits. All I know is the axys is heads and tails above my 12 pros with head and can. My wife felt the power difference the second we left the truck and we only have 1.4 hours on them so far. I explained to her that once they are broke in they will be even snappier and have more power. Her reply was holy s!?t are you serious. I will say the throttle response and power is impressive, even in break in mode.

keithw

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2010
I have the SLP pipe and can. I have MDS weights and added as much weight as available and still turning 8500 rpm at 9000 feet. Is it neck snapping power more no, but I am still adding weight and still turning too much RPM. The pipe/can has to be doing something.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have the SLP pipe and can. I have MDS weights and added as much weight as available and still turning 8500 rpm at 9000 feet. Is it neck snapping power more no, but I am still adding weight and still turning too much RPM. The pipe/can has to be doing something.

Same here. At around 10-11k the stock sled was turning 8400 with 60's. I did the SLP pipe/can and had to go to 62's and still coming close to 8500 at times. I figure I might need 64's at 10-11k! Wow, this motor definitely pulls harder than the Pro did.
Are you guys breaking in your sleds before putting the pipe on?

I did. Mostly because I wanted to see how it did stock and how it did with the pipe/can. A very knowledgable person told me to break in stock, but I'm not sure how to reiterate what he said. The other reason is that I simply didn't have the pipe/can yet.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
It's been a long time since we could sell a pipe that truly makes the power. It easily pulls 2 grams more weight than a stock sled. Combined with our clutch kit we are seeing gains of 5-7mph track speed in deep climbing. We are very impressed with this setup.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
I could not feel the 9 hp gain on either of our new rmk axys sleds, but then again I did not ride them without the stage 2 kits. All I know is the axys is heads and tails above my 12 pros with head and can. My wife felt the power difference the second we left the truck and we only have 1.4 hours on them so far. I explained to her that once they are broke in they will be even snappier and have more power. Her reply was holy s!?t are you serious. I will say the throttle response and power is impressive, even in break in mode.

So how exactly were you suppose to feel a gain with aftermarket parts, if you never rode it stock?

I start to loose faith of any credibility on SW anymore

Premium Features