• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

slp mtx weights vs pol 10 series weights

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I hear lots of debate about the mtx style of weight, ive got the old school set that uses rivits. ive been using them for many yrs and typicaly use the heaviest weight with no rivits in them so , I run them empty. Last yr with my 850 163 2.6, I ran the 74s and all I can say is, it flat out worked, my acceleration was very good and often saw track speeds in the 45/46 ish range.
On one ride, we had a race up a virgin hill, all 160 class trax , alpha and a doo g4. We started one at a time from the very bottom off the hill, no run at the hill, both the cat and doo tapped out about 3/4 way up the hill and I blew over the top with ease. Also in comparision with teth-airs sled, I wasn't leaving any blk streaks on the snow like his was. Im wondering because of the extra load put on the engine in the bottom end with the mtx, is it a positive thing with this motor. slp recommends to use their blu/pink spring and to shim the primary, I do neither, just stock and the sec is also stock.
After the climbing race, the doo guy said to me, your sled is like a tractor.
So guys, can anyone explain to me what is wrong with these weights and explain why i should use reg 10 series or some other style or brand weight or clutching setup.
I talked to a local shop that has a winning history with sleds and they use mtx weights as empty as possible.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I hear lots of debate about the mtx style of weight, ive got the old school set that uses rivits. ive been using them for many yrs and typicaly use the heaviest weight with no rivits in them so , I run them empty. Last yr with my 850 163 2.6, I ran the 74s and all I can say is, it flat out worked, my acceleration was very good and often saw track speeds in the 45/46 ish range.
On one ride, we had a race up a virgin hill, all 160 class trax , alpha and a doo g4. We started one at a time from the very bottom off the hill, no run at the hill, both the cat and doo tapped out about 3/4 way up the hill and I blew over the top with ease. Also in comparision with teth-airs sled, I wasn't leaving any blk streaks on the snow like his was. Im wondering because of the extra load put on the engine in the bottom end with the mtx, is it a positive thing with this motor. slp recommends to use their blu/pink spring and to shim the primary, I do neither, just stock and the sec is also stock.
After the climbing race, the doo guy said to me, your sled is like a tractor.
So guys, can anyone explain to me what is wrong with these weights and explain why i should use reg 10 series or some other style or brand weight or clutching setup.
I talked to a local shop that has a winning history with sleds and they use mtx weights as empty as possible.

And my sled is way leaner than 2 others I know that run stock clutching. I expect it may be more a sensor difference that is changing the mapping and not so much clutching. Yes my clutching is lighter but it is also lighter than the stock sleds. Also one of the stock sled I speak of is geared way higher because it is quickdrive. This should have an effect of loading the motor more so in your scenario this should also make it run better?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
And my sled is way leaner than 2 others I know that run stock clutching. I expect it may be more a sensor difference that is changing the mapping and not so much clutching. Yes my clutching is lighter but it is also lighter than the stock sleds. Also one of the stock sled I speak of is geared way higher because it is quickdrive. This should have an effect of loading the motor more so in your scenario this should also make it run better?
Chris, perhaps I should keep my stk gearing vs gearing down to pro gears.

Premium Features