• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Skis

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I think I landed a super black backed out on expert
I want to put an absurd amount of red on it.
I'd like factory red skis. It seems like on the new gen 5 the new ski only comes in maroon
Are the lynx skis the same? I bet they're red
Are the previous year skis crap or how much different?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I think I landed a super black backed out on expert
I want to put an absurd amount of red on it.
I'd like factory red skis. It seems like on the new gen 5 the new ski only comes in maroon
Are the lynx skis the same? I bet they're red
Are the previous year skis crap or how much different?
I was going to wait till guys rode their experts but one of the main test riders said he like the ds3 ski on the expert better, the skis on the expert are more forward on the spindle and have less out the back to make them less prone to kick out when sidehilling. The keel is also wider at the back than the ds3 ski, this makes the steering harder due to it being more forward and the wider keel also makes it more sluggish, those who jump back and forth between an expert and a summit x, since they have the same front end, will notice this. So you might actually also like the ds3 ski that is on the summit x, freeride sp and edge for 2023 and 2022 2021 2020 and older. cheers dave

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I was going to swap the skis on my 21 Gen 4 to Grippers but after riding it I found that the DS3 skis were pretty damn good so I left them on. You should be able to get a set of the red DS3's through your dealer or maybe find a used set online.

T
Aug 8, 2011
New ski on the expert seems to work pretty well so far. But I sure always liked the tunability of the ds3 ski. Pulling the powder tip off for conditions other than blower was real nice.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
New ski on the expert seems to work pretty well so far. But I sure always liked the tunability of the ds3 ski. Pulling the powder tip off for conditions other than blower was real nice.

Never removed the tips on the DS3 skis, ever. And nobody in our group of sleds ever did either.

Comparing the DS4 to the DS3, you can see small changes. I'm not sure I'm good enough to notice the difference. Especially with the narrower front end and the change in the ski rubber too.

M
Jan 26, 2013
Never removed the tips on the DS3 skis, ever. And nobody in our group of sleds ever did either.

Comparing the DS4 to the DS3, you can see small changes. I'm not sure I'm good enough to notice the difference. Especially with the narrower front end and the change in the ski rubber too.
Conversely I never had my tips on my gen4. Only the most skilled and astute riders would ever be able to discern the difference. IMHO

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
So, what does everyone think of the new ski? Harder to steer? Sidehilling?

I like them. They seem to have more bite on the trail. As far as sidehilling it no longer wants to point the skis to the air and go up. It holds a line right across the face. Even sidehilling a tracked out face they handle the ruts well. I would say they were a win. Read somewhere some of the test riders preferred the DS3 ski on the Expert but I was unsure of their reasoning behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
So I found some ds3 skis and I gotta say I've never noticed such a dramatic difference in any ski change on any sled.
These are junk. Unrideable. Hopping between identical sleds it was painful, literally when I went over the bars.
They plow, tips up, heel down. Then act like there's no rubber and ur screwed
They do look pretty with my colors so I got that goin

IMG_20221210_142812704_HDR.jpg

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I’m running Mohawks. Mohawks are better, not a fan of the single deep keel design of skidoo skis. Fine in deep untracked snow but horrible crossing old tracks.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I tried the Mohawks on my G4. They were great on trail but the DS3s were better off trail.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I tried the Mohawks on my G4. They were great on trail but the DS3s were better off trail.
Could you elaborate- thinking about replacing the DS4s with Mohawks. I thought the Mohawks were a nice upgrade over the Grippers on my Poo... pretty much solely because they didn't push so bad off trail, that came with a bit of additional steering effort, but worth it IMO.

I also destroyed the Grippers in less than 500 miles.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Wondering if Mohawks wouldn't help with the twitchy Doo steering? I don't think the ski is the cause for that though, so maybe not?

X

Xrider

Jul 9, 2001
Montana
So I found some ds3 skis and I gotta say I've never noticed such a dramatic difference in any ski change on any sled.
These are junk. Unrideable. Hopping between identical sleds it was painful, literally when I went over the bars.
They plow, tips up, heel down. Then act like there's no rubber and ur screwed
They do look pretty with my colors so I got that goin
"unrideable" , really?? .

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I thought its the front shocks making the steering all twitchy

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's the sled that makes it all twitchy, too much weight on the front. Feels like an old nytro
Just drove it across the driveway and it was jerking the bars around

Premium Features