• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ski stance

Mr. BB

Premium Member
Sep 7, 2009
Anybody using the 38.5 ski stance setting on proclimbs? If so is it noticebly less tippy? Don't side hill on purpose and would much prefer to have a 40, but don't want a RMK. Matter of pride, ha. Be nice to try a AC 38.5. Getting to be a sit-down rider. If any one has experience with the wider setting would appreciate hearing opinion. Thanx

P
Jan 19, 2009
I had an 09 summit hillclimb, basically a HCR...154 with a wide front end. I loved it, I miss at times now having a 16 SP 154 m8000, as I learn to ride the narrow stance I like it much more. I sit down more now for sure but still like to Rip it up when conditions are right. I ride in the UP and northern Wisconsin to give you an idea. If you value trail riding there is no comparison between and HCR and M. You can ride the m all day comfortably but you will not safely turn or ride real aggressively on tight grooomed trails. The summit pushed significantly less which is what everyone will say for obvious reasons, but I think it differentiated trail riding as something that was still fun and a valid short term option to not really enjoyable, doable only to save time or get your spot.
For crawling along in the ditch terrain that doesn't require a side hill, it felt more planted and stuck to the hill as apposed to the narrow front you have tipped over, in balance on the sweet spot of it pitched over. (Having fun when this becomes 2nd nature)
HCR are beefed up a little for taking hits but i have found the m to be more strong taking bigger hits in less than powder conditions. But taking these hits, especially taking a tight line in a plowed ditch where the best ramp is often smaller, the narrow front end SHINES because you are less exposed to a wide stance throwing the approach off balance. In the power lines and trees where you are launching of god knows what it helps a lot to be narrow for hitting jumps and skirting through narrow passages.
This is a hard decision because both sleds are so similar but yet worlds apart. I see how guys love both in the mountains and here in the flats. If value being more technical, picking lines that will require sidehilling, taking easier routes in back country the narrow front might be for you. Even though you are saying you sit more, it maybe fun to grow into those skills? The wide front end will be way more trail friendly/fun. Both will push, but not push and tip to the same degree as a narrow front end. Both will jump and be playful, I found both a blast in the ditch but the narrow front end way easier to get to where you want to go when they get steep and gnarly...I feel like I can launch off anything versus having to consider more on the wide front end: will it stay flat, am I narrow enjoying enough, is the other side flat enough because if it required a side hill it could be done, I just had to work much harder to get it over and on line...more so if the snow depth wasn't there.
Too me it is almost like riding a x4 seadoo hull and a stand-up jet ski. I love both probabaly equally if both are in the conditions they shine in, the stand up seems to be a little fun for a little longer because it requires a little rider effort to get it to do things. Just like a narrow front end on a sled, the limiting factor (stance) is what ultimately makes it fun and leaving you wanting to come back for more...at least that is my take away going from the wide front.
At first I felt "what the hell have I done" , trail riding is way less fun but now I will, like many others with mtn sleds, find myself wondering what it will be like going narrower?.
Assuming you don't have access to ride a HCR type sled, the overwhelming trend is narrow up the front as your skills increase and finding out exactly why that is. I am an average rider with some photo worthy moments who enjoys riding lazy and aggressive if deep snow hills ditches and back country.
All that said, the HCR (my hill climb summit) was a blast in all the same conditions.
Good luck with your decision-

Premium Features