• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski pressure on Alpha 2019

Rune80

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Hi,

I wondering if anyone have an quick fix to get less ski pressure on my Alpha 165" 2019mod?

Thanks

Sent fra min LYA-L29 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
More air in the front skid shock and Gripper skis..
If u want easy steering, i recommend an RMK or Summit.
Cats have been hard to steer since 2008. Believe it or not, ur Alpha is easy to steer compared to the Mseries.

Sent it

Rune80

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
More air in the front skid shock and Gripper skis..
If u want easy steering, i recommend an RMK or Summit.
Cats have been hard to steer since 2008. Believe it or not, ur Alpha is easy to steer compared to the Mseries.

Sent it
Thanks for the answer.
I have now 85psi on the center shock and klikk 2
And I'm not happy.
I want less pressure

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Yeah, I'm right there with ya.
I was fine till i rode a 19+ rmk... steering on those are so much easier and summit's are even easier....

I should have just stayed off those sleds and wouldn't have been any wiser.. dumb and happy Lol

Sent it

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I could be wrong but cat is the only one using a vertical steering meaning if you sit it's a push pull. Ski doo and poo run angled steering, it makes it easier in my opinion when standing and playing around because it's tough to move your hands kind of straight VS being able to almost pull on the handle bar 1 end and make it turn which happens on the doo and poo.

The cat you can run angled steering, if you google (I can't remember) you will find threads on this and those who have done it liked it greatly. I'm sure you will find it easier to steer that way too.

Rune80

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Has anyone tried the lower mounting hole in the front of the skid? Maybe that can help??

Rune80

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Has anyone tried the lower mounting hole in the front of the skid? Maybe that can help??

Here
ab0ad899ce50438e5db3a01bacd238d5.jpg

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Here
ab0ad899ce50438e5db3a01bacd238d5.jpg

The Alpha already has all of the weight on the front 16" of the rail ... the rear is about 1" off the ground.
Polaris has a different ratio in the steering, they turn almost 180° from lock to lock... vs cats ~140°.... not exact measurements but close comparison

Sent it

Rune80

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
The Alpha already has all of the weight on the front 16" of the rail ... the rear is about 1" off the ground.
Polaris has a different ratio in the steering, they turn almost 180° from lock to lock... vs cats ~140°.... not exact measurements but close comparison

Sent it
Okey I understand, thanks..

When I was driving the 2012 m800.
I remember Bret Rasmussen came with a kit to turn the ski's more on the side.

Is it possible to fiks the steering post so you can turn handlebars 180°

Regards
Rune

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Okey I understand, thanks..

When I was driving the 2012 m800.
I remember Bret Rasmussen came with a kit to turn the ski's more on the side.

Is it possible to fiks the steering post so you can turn handlebars 180°

Regards
Rune

The Wyoming steering mod does let you turn it further. Basically it is a different bell crank. Do your research there are some tie rod clearance issues with this mod You can also buy the lay down post kit (steering from the trail sleds). Some guys have drilled out the lower hole in the front of the skid and used the bottom hole on the rear with success. When I say success I mean better clearance in deeper snow, it does make sense the steering would be easier also. Setting the air pressure in the rear skid and skis is just as important you need to get the right combination for your weight and riding style. Lots of threads on this. When you are done all this it still wont steer as easy as the Ski doo Gen 4 it also wont stand on it tail and give you surprises like the Gen 4 either.

O
Aug 17, 2019
Twin Cities
Start with shock air pressures and limiter strap adjustments. That’s a FREE mod that can make a sled epic vs un rideable. Small psi changes are noticeable. Check all your shocks psi often!! Heated shop or trailer? Check them every ride if so. Everyone I know with an ALPHA is always fighting too keep the skis on the ground!

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
Hi,

I wondering if anyone have an quick fix to get less ski pressure on my Alpha 165" 2019mod?

Thanks

The front , center and rear shocks form a teeter-totter. Lowering the front and rear, and raising the center is the quickest way to lower ski pressure. Don't go above 60 psi in center shock per guidelines in manual as I believe it increases track wear (not proven). I have also heard remounting and lowering the skid works plus increasing the length of the limiter strap but I have no experience with that.

Cinno

skiutahcabin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 6, 2012
Timber Lakes Utah
watch your center of mass. I'm 200 w gear and I put my sled ( stock set up) on 4 scales and it came perfectly balanced- if you alter this COM point it will alter how it behaves in the air, usually not in a good way.

Cinno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Stillwater,Mn
watch your center of mass. I'm 200 w gear and I put my sled ( stock set up) on 4 scales and it came perfectly balanced- if you alter this COM point it will alter how it behaves in the air, usually not in a good way.

You tune to your riding style and conditions. Deep powder, setup snow, hill climbing, tree riding, trail riding, jumping, different snow density and depth, you name it. It all about compromise. Knowing how to tune is key. Simply shifting your feet position and handlebar location have a big effect . Your tuning will also be body weight sensitive. Don't be afraid to change shock forces on the mountain. Find out what works for your riding style and learn how to adapt to the changes.

Little caution is always advised however especially when lowing your ski pressure, as I did once at the lodge and then blew a corner on the trail ride to the top of the mountain, ended up in the hospital.

Cinno

Last edited:
F

Fredrik

Nov 29, 2007
I think the heavy steering in some conditions is in geometry
when skis turn the skis tilt invards turn
so outside ski gets negative camber and inside ski gets positive camber
on polaris rmk skis stays flat and has alot more steering angle with less effort
wonder if elevate spindles change this or if its controlled by upper a-arm.

kgra

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
British Columbia
Adjust the front track shock pressure. This plays a huge role on gear sleds. All the hard ones here have the fts spring tightened to end of threads. Very playful. Rear entries like no ones business but won’t climb as high as a doo with its limited strap sucked up whe it’s like this.

Premium Features