• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
It's a cool sled if you ride over 10,000ft most of the time. I'm on a modded 19 175" X that flat runs, and it will take alot more than an advertised 165hp at over 8000ft to convince me to drop an extra 4k for one. Now if it had an advertised 40hp over stock producing 205hp, it would be game on!

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Well I am sure that they changed part numbers for no reason. I have owned 17 Etec Summits since 2013 and messed with the clutching on most of them. But you are much smarter than me, so I will step back and listen to your wisdom. Keep it coming.

Yep there are P/N revisions.
Lol, if you owned that many and worked on the clutches than you should of known all of this already.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I don't ride doo, but I love the factory turbo they came out with, more so how its n.a to boost works. It showes how much better the OEM can make a turbo system then the aftermarket. One thing I would like to see is a sensor that can tell the octane, ford eco boost have this. for us low elevation mountain riders we could add higher octane and get more hp. 185hp from sea level up would be nice.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
I truly don't believe Polaris has anything waiting in the shadows. This is an absolute gamble by skidoo, but who better to build it than a company that builds Lear jets.

BRP snow and water recreational products were spun off from the larger Bombardier in 2003 (acquired by Mitt Romneys Bain Capitol). https://www.baincapitalprivateequity.com/portfolio

We will see what's in the shadows soon. ;)

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
It's a cool sled if you ride over 10,000ft most of the time. I'm on a modded 19 175" X that flat runs, and it will take alot more than an advertised 165hp at over 8000ft to convince me to drop an extra 4k for one. Now if it had an advertised 40hp over stock producing 205hp, it would be game on!
I ride at 3500-7900 feet and it flat out rips like it did at 9000 feet.

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I don't ride doo, but I love the factory turbo they came out with, more so how its n.a to boost works. It showes how much better the OEM can make a turbo system then the aftermarket. One thing I would like to see is a sensor that can tell the octane, ford eco boost have this. for us low elevation mountain riders we could add higher octane and get more hp. 185hp from sea level up would be nice.
Rode one today, it's really nice, I've had a low boost after market turbo the last two years, and while this is not quite as powerful, it's gets on the snow really well. It out preforms a stock 850 by alot, honest hp. Great throttle response, clutching is close and very fun to ride. I'll take it over a low boost after market turbo any day of the week.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I spent most of the day on one today as well. Everyone that rode was truly surprised by how smooth, seamless and even it ran. Truly no lag, and pulls good at 9,000 ft. Does not matter if a wide open stab from idle or part throttle, chopping the throttle, it flat runs consistently. We ran a tank of fuel through it today and knocked 27 percent off the break in.

It feels like there is more left in it. Suspect of the reins being held back a bit during break in mode.

IMG_1029.jpgIMG_1024.jpg

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I rode one today as well. The other manufacturers have their work cut out for them. I hate the steering (I ride cat) but the power delivery and lack of lag is awesome. Overall feels like a very refined machine!

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Did they keep 850 bottom right off engagement? Asked my buddy but he said wrong person to ask. Did say equal or better than a good running silber on 5 pounds.

Yes, bottom end snap is pretty much the same feel as a stock 850. Much better than a Silber set up. I rode a few of those, those have some lag, at least the ones I’ve been on.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
Im just trying to understand this bypass valves function.
Well Im at 3500ft here at home, and the sled felt like a normal 850 to me. Yes it needs clutch work like the normal 850’s. I
Doing the math if that turbo was on the boost from engaugement it should have a approximate 20hp gain over my sled.

I’m not about to try to explain how the bypass valve works because I really have no idea, but the video just explains that it will keep the same hp as a stock sled at sea level (165) until you go above 8000 ft., and then the power will start to drop off but will drop off at a rate that will be 40hp above what a n/a sled would have at the same altitude. At 3500 ft, you won’t notice much difference in power. There should be a little more power, but remember that what you test drove was more than likely still in break-in mode (so probably less than what is going to be there after break-in also). THIS TURBO DOESN’T HAVE ANY ADVANTAGE OVER A NORMAL 850 IN LOW ELEVATION RIDING CONDITIONS!!! Or not enough to matter (at 3500 ft). Again, it is in a SUMMIT!! Not a sled for flat landers because it won’t do anything for a low elevation flat lander!!

If you want to understand why this is a game changer, come out west and test drive one at 8000 ft, and then test drive a n/a one at the same elevation. Then, you WILL understand. At your elevation, it has no real advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I’m not about to try to explain how the bypass valve works because I really have no idea, but the video just explains that it will keep the same hp as a stock sled at sea level (165) until you go above 8000 ft., and then the power will start to drop off but will drop off at a rate that will be 40hp above what a n/a sled would have at the same altitude. At 3500 ft, you won’t notice much difference in power. There should be a little more power, but remember that what you test drove was more than likely still in break-in mode (so probably less than what is going to be there after break-in also). THIS TURBO DOESN’T HAVE ANY ADVANTAGE OVER A NORMAL 850 IN LOW ELEVATION RIDING CONDITIONS!!! Or not enough to matter (at 3500 ft). Again, it is in a SUMMIT!! Not a sled for flat landers because it won’t do anything for a low elevation flat lander!!

If you want to understand why this is a game changer, come out west and test drive one at 8000 ft, and then test drive a n/a one at the same elevation. Then, you WILL understand. At your elevation, it has no real advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My house is at 3200ft and I ride to 7000ft.
My 850 summit is only one clicker position away from my max altitude regardless off the snow depth.

The 850T engauged at 4300, and my sled Na850 engauges at 3600.
I jave ridden low boost 800xm’s and low boost G4’s. Even at 3200ft, that also engauged at 3600.
In theory, the 850T should have a 17hp gain, and with a 4300 engagement it should of been felt. But it was not.
Yes the sled was brand new, but Ive ridden brand new turbos during break in at the exact same altitude.
Now that I understand the function of that bypass valve and the primary and secondary intake, I now know why the sled felt the way it did. Technically its a natural Aspirated sled until 6500rpm, I didn’t know that at the time that I rode it, thats why it felt off to me.

I am anxious to try it at higher altitude, the reports from this weekend sound very exciting, its a Very cool sled and Im anxious to see what snocheck brings next month.

Last edited:

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
At 3500 it is 17 or 18 hp difference. That might not be enough to entice someone for the price difference but give me a list of what you would do to get that. Would it be reliable? No warranty. That is still a pretty good gain for this day and age. That is about what Polaris twin pipes are supposed to put out and i bet they are finicky for over $2000. I put an 872 in years ago that wasn't more than that, i bet, for $3000 installed. Made it 242 miles before it locked up. Cost me $1785 to fix it so yes this is worth it at 3500 feet with a warranty. Worth more when you go up and less when you go down. I can say without a doubt it is worth it to me. Everyone has to decide for themselves if it is worth it to them. They just advertised it different. The ones that advertised the other way are susceptible to the same losses. People just don't realize it.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I find it interesting that people have such a hard time understanding what’s going on with this setup and who it’s built for. There’s a reason it was introduced in a 165. It’s made for people who ride higher elevations and deeper snow. If you ride less than 4-5,000ft, this isn’t for you. Most people don’t ride 165’s below 4,000ft.

If you want 200 hp this isn’t for you. Most people don’t want 200hp. They just want another 40hp to get through those deep days better. I know a lot of people on other brands who are excited about this sled because it’s a good bump in power without getting crazy.

If you want better power at higher elevation and every day reliability this is for you.

The intake setup is super easy to understand what’s going on. There’s a check valve in the tube between the engine and the intake. When the engine creates a little bit of vacuum, that check valve opens up and let’s air through. As soon as the turbo makes 1-2 psi (I’m not sure of the exact psi, but 1-2 psi makes the most sense to me) that check valve closes so the air is pushed into the engine instead of back out the intake. So simple of a design that I’m honestly surprised that bd or silber didn’t think of it first.

This will change the way manufacturers build higher elevation mountain sleds. Give it 4-5 years tops and every manufacturer will have a similar setup on the market.

live2beel

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I agree 100%. All mountain sleds in the next couple years will have some sort of boost. We will all look back at this post and just laugh. ?

Winshady

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2019
Northern California
Sea level power at altitude is awesome. I for one, have never felt what my 850 Polaris truly delivers as I’ve never been at sea level with it. I think mild boost to keep sea level hp up to altitude will be a norm in the future. The engine never works harder than it was designed to but we enjoy all the extra hp we never noticed was missing.

T
Aug 8, 2011
These things are the real deal. It sounds like they have 6 grams more weight in the arm than a normal summit. The one I was with today had about a 5mph track speed advantage on a stock expert at 6500 feet. But that isn’t what makes this sled so rad! It is so clean and crisp running it’s tough to believe, but it parlays that into really quick track speed gains. It’s a literal weapon in the technical terrain.

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
A bypass valve in most other turbo applications is to allow metered air to recirculate around the throttle plate and allow the turbo to keep spinning. Otherwise when you blip the throttle with a spinning turbo, the pressure will back up on the compressor and stall it. If you want some incredible examples of it, search the audi group B s1 video's on youtube. They did not run bypass valves on those cars and the noises were phenomenal, but it's so hard on equipment. I had an audi 5 cylinder for a time that didn't run one, it was a lot of fun to drive around for the silly noise. It did end up killing the turbo after a couple years.

Premium Features