• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Never seen extended warranty on mid-season releases, this offer is typical. Sno-check will offer an extended warranty on the 2021 850Ts. Making the mid-season 850T release now - getting it in the hands of consumers and posters out there, combined with the extended warranty will help Doo retain peeps who will be tempted by Poo's new (rumored but pretty likely) 2021 chassis. Good business, good for us.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.
I get it. If you have $40 and lose $40, then find $40 you didn't gain anything because you started with $40. Simple math. If your friend at sea level has$40 and you live a 4000 feet and only have$20 but drive up to 8000 feet and find another $20 then you have $40. If your friend wants to spend his money at the same place, it will cost him money to get there. $40 to be exact. He will have to bring more money to have $40 to spend when he gets there. That is fine if that is what he wants. It is also fine if he isn't there. You don't have to be side by side to spend your $40. Hopefully enough zeroes to understand.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Efficient clutching would have been a nicer feature.
Not sure what they changed this year, but I abused the crap out of my Expert last week in stupid deep snow, and threw some snow on the clutches, it barely melted. The 2020 setup RIPS, and I have had 2 every year since 2017. (And hated a lot of them due to clutch heat issues.)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Inseason turbo can be purchased with extra warranty. Belt temp monitor is a horrible idea with poor factory clutching thats known to make heat. Still using the same helix as the past 8 years, according to the micro fiche
That is incorrect.
800Etec used a 417127386 helix.
17 to 18 850 used a 417127532.
19 (and I assume 20) uses a 417127672.
The old 800 helix was stamped a 40XT.
The older 850 helix was stamped 40XTI.
Don't know what the 19/20 was stamped.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
That is incorrect.
800Etec used a 417127386 helix.
17 to 18 850 used a 417127532.
19 (and I assume 20) uses a 417127672.
The old 800 helix was stamped a 40XT.
The older 850 helix was stamped 40XTI.
Don't know what the 19/20 was stamped.

I dont care about the part numbers or fancy letters at the end, the 40deg helix has been used since 2012, and the new turbo has it as well.

I rode the new turbo and guess what??? Lots left on the table with the clutching

I
Jul 5, 2001
You also here the belt to hot indicator going off at the end of that run , but he was jammin on that sled.
Need to know if its the belt alarm or his finger riding on the brake lever ( that will beep and send a soft code of gas and brake depressed same time ) just turning on the tail light.....
does sound good for champagne powder..... should have one Monday to put some real clutching in and see if I can get the high engagement down and not induce turbo lag ( shouldn't since its not pulling air across the impeller )

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Can someone chime in and answer a question. Im trying to understand the design of this turbo.
The vids ive watched comment on 6500rpm that the bypass valve starts to close, so regardless of altitude this sled is a NA 850 until 6500rpm. Is this correct???

I rode one last night and at 3500ft I was not that impressed with it.

I
Jul 5, 2001
1579275032638.png

1579275032638.png

Can someone chime in and answer a question. Im trying to understand the design of this turbo.
The vids ive watched comment on 6500rpm that the bypass valve starts to close, so regardless of altitude this sled is a NA 850 until 6500rpm. Is this correct???

I rode one last night and at 3500ft I was not that impressed with it.
At 3500' its only gonna boost .5 to 1lb of boost if that....... where your gonna see the difference is your N/A 850 at 6000' vers this boosted 850 that is 30hp difference.... and if you have seen a big bore or piped and head sled run against a stocker and put a mark on a hill the ONLY way the stocker can get there is POACH his line...... go test these turbos against stock or "good clutched" 850's.... fresh line for fresh line...will be as they say "game changing"

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
View attachment 337666

View attachment 337666

At 3500' its only gonna boost .5 to 1lb of boost if that....... where your gonna see the difference is your N/A 850 at 6000' vers this boosted 850 that is 30hp difference.... and if you have seen a big bore or piped and head sled run against a stocker and put a mark on a hill the ONLY way the stocker can get there is POACH his line...... go test these turbos against stock or "good clutched" 850's.... fresh line for fresh line...will be as they say "game changing"
Im just trying to understand this bypass valves function.
Well Im at 3500ft here at home, and the sled felt like a normal 850 to me. Yes it needs clutch work like the normal 850’s. I
Doing the math if that turbo was on the boost from engaugement it should have a approximate 20hp gain over my sled.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
There's the butterfly valve I was looking for. I knew they had to have something to let naturally aspirated air in without just pushing boosted air out the airbox. Thanks for the up close shot!
That is not the intake butterfly valve you are looking at in the picture. That is the internal waste gate valve in the exhaust.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The bypass valve is there because the compressor is a restriction off-idle and into the mid-range. So, you want the engine to be able to pull straight from the intake, but you need a check valve to capture the boost once the turbo spools. Very different from the wastegate, which opens to pass exhaust gasses (yup, it passes gas) around the turbine and keep the speed/boost down. So, yeah, the engine would be exactly like a NA 850 at low RPM; it also gives you more throttle response across the range, because even at speed, the turbo will drop off when you're off throttle.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Need to know if its the belt alarm or his finger riding on the brake lever ( that will beep and send a soft code of gas and brake depressed same time ) just turning on the tail light.....
does sound good for champagne powder..... should have one Monday to put some real clutching in and see if I can get the high engagement down and not induce turbo lag ( shouldn't since its not pulling air across the impeller )
If you read the comments he said it was the belt alarm.

S
Nov 6, 2008
I'm gonna wait and see how it behaves with stock clutching, but what is the latest recommendation for clutch improvements if I go that route? Haven't been keeping up with Gen 4 clutch kits.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
I'm gonna wait and see how it behaves with stock clutching, but what is the latest recommendation for clutch improvements if I go that route? Haven't been keeping up with Gen 4 clutch kits.
I installed IBackshifts kit in my Expert, and love it so far. Once I have the sled completely broke in and some good snow riding I will right up more on it. Last weekend we were in some real deep, and I was watching my rpms on a few climbs. They were rock solid hitting 7,800 when punching the throttle, and climbed to 7,900-8,000 as speed picked up going up the hill! I suggest giving Joe’s setup a look.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I feel like a lot of people don't understand turbos who are bagging on this application. First, off, it's incredible to see on a stock 2 stroker. Seems not too long ago, everyone, and I mean everyone (probably the same complainers) were saying 2 stroke and pump gas was impossible. Possible. Now, those saying 40HP is nothing...it's not just 40 HP, but 40 turbo added HP. Turbos have an incredible ability to maintain RPM and not shoot up and down in power/rpms while pulling because they have stored energy in the form of pressurized air...is almost like a large flywheel to keep things going the same speed. What's that mean? When the track hits a firm spot in deep powder, it keeps track speed (doesn't slow down) and rips you through it. When it can crawl up in track speed, it does. Is one reason turbos work so well in consistent loading applications (diesel towing, airplanes, sled). That consistent, big power HP maintains. And that 40HP is not finicky power on a small bubble...it is broad and maintains. This is awesome. "Pump gas turbo on a 2 stroke will never work" Quote: Lots of guys on SW 10 years ago. Wrong.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I dont care about the part numbers or fancy letters at the end, the 40deg helix has been used since 2012, and the new turbo has it as well.

I rode the new turbo and guess what??? Lots left on the table with the clutching
Well I am sure that they changed part numbers for no reason. I have owned 17 Etec Summits since 2013 and messed with the clutching on most of them. But you are much smarter than me, so I will step back and listen to your wisdom. Keep it coming.

P
Jan 10, 2008
PA mostly
This seriously opens a new era, my only reason for not going turbo in the past was I live. In the east and my sleds live in Co so I don't have time for issues. If I can have a turbo w a 3-4` year extended warranty then I am in. I don't have the shop i have out east in Co or the time to tinker there.

Polaris will fire back and that is good news to keep the oems advancing, sucks were pushing the 15-20k mark these days, but the sleds over the last 10-12 years are amazing.

My current 850 165 has a jaws pipe and BJs clutch kit and for what it is, it is amazing, huge difference over stock for as far as I wanted to go to keep reliability, sure hope my wife likes it as it might be her new whip, anyone looking for a super clean 2016 800 summit x 163 female ridden hahaha

Premium Features