• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important >>> Ski-Doo Summit 850 TURBO OEM at long last!!!!!!

Post number 92 has been selected as best answered.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Is it possible they detuned the 850 motor with lower compression then brought back the power to the stock 165HP level?
Might still be running boost at lower elevations?
Just thinking out loud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There has to be a slight detune built into the bypass exhaust and intake setup at least at high rpm. (Assuming everything was optimized before and now is complicated N/A)

Low boost would easily cure that once up to operating rpm.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
I've been waiting for this. But, I want more than a 1 year warranty so waiting to see what snow check looks like. I ride over 8000 ft in Utah and I really like their solution it makes total since to me. My other thought they will probably add a little more horse power like they did with the side by sides. I do believe they will also bring to this other models as this was a lot of money to develop. When they start adding to trail sleds the horse will probably go up for mtn sleds. Exciting times!!!

DITTO'S Hoping things go well for the 2020.5's that go out this week. This is my trade in year, looks like I may get lucky this March

powwow

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2009
East Kootenay
Hats off to Skidoo. This is great. I don't run skidoo, but have to give them credit for sure. The shot start and now a usable turbo. They do have some great ideas.

MidwestBoondocker

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 25, 2011
SW MN
So I keep hearing this only 10 pounds heavier statement. I just looked it up again but the 165 expert dry weight per skidoo’s spec sheet is 448.

The number I keep hearing for the turbo is 466.

Math isn’t my strong suit but to me that equals 18 pounds heavier. So what am I missing?

K
Apr 12, 2018
As a Polaris rider this doesn't upset me one bit, it will push the other manufactures to follow suit and hopefully factory turbo 2 strokes will continue to evolve from here on out. I am 99% sure Polaris has something similar sitting in their R&D room right now. There is a lot of room to grow in this segment, I am sure the aftermarket is going to have fun tuning these as well for the ones who want more performance.
I truly don't believe Polaris has anything waiting in the shadows. This is an absolute gamble by skidoo, but who better to build it than a company that builds Lear jets. We all know that poo has been chasing Doo on technology since 96. Polaris never would have had electronic reverse or pyramidal frame if not for Doo. Hopefully poo will find a way to make their mountain sleds not feel so dang heavy in the front at slow speed or steep descents. Add some reliability to their primary clutch and beef up the a arms a tad. This will help way more than adding a turbo to their 850.

K
Apr 12, 2018
It’s $3200, for 40hp (for most of us), with warranty.
Il
It is not 40 HP more. It's the way they are marketing it that makes you guys think that. It's only 40 HP more than stock of they are side by side at 12,500'. I talk to Tony about it tonight. This is a huge gimmick and only worth it if you ride over 10,000'. It's the same sled as stock until you get over 8,000'.
I off loaded my sled today. Elevation 8362 feet. I guess I'm using it all the time

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Wow yep a game changer. Interesting to see the data being displayed on the mountain climb. Is there an extended warranty … and is it more? OF course only in yellow?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the turbo is a MID SEASON limited release.
Gotta wonder, what will be available for 2021 SNOWCHECK...

Thats usually when we see the best WARRANTY offered.
And like pretty much everyone else, I would rather like more than just a ONE year warranty on a brand new $18K sled IF the opportunity presents itself.

DYuUhTEWsAAmWKT[1].jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
But it would be nice with an indicator to know before the belt explodes and you have the to deal with that, I think most of the belt failures are from it slipping and rapid heat up. So get more clamping on the belt and still have the option to monitor it. Another nice electronic feature.
Efficient clutching would have been a nicer feature.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Inseason turbo can be purchased with extra warranty. Belt temp monitor is a horrible idea with poor factory clutching thats known to make heat. Still using the same helix as the past 8 years, according to the micro fiche

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
The clutching on the Expert has been good. Quite happy with the clutching on my ‘19 as well, still on the original belt.

I think monitoring clutch temps is a great idea, some people are (Sometimes unknowingly) a little abusive and their opinion is often that the sled “should just handle that...”

It also gives the manufacturer some factual data rather than clouded opinions from the owner, and this will be a huge contributor towards ongoing refinements.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
There's NO way Doo put all the R&D into this sled to have a limited, one time, mid season release.

This engine HAS to be available in the future with snow checks, etc.

Exactly, there is now way they are going to sell the 500 or whatever sleds they have now then not offer it for snowcheck while they wait for the other manufacturers to release their own options that they know they are working on. They will for sure offer some snowcheck incentives to try and capitalize on their gamble of being first and probably steal some serious market share.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The clutching on the Expert has been good. Quite happy with the clutching on my ‘19 as well, still on the original belt.

I think monitoring clutch temps is a great idea, some people are (Sometimes unknowingly) a little abusive and their opinion is often that the sled “should just handle that...”

It also gives the manufacturer some factual data rather than clouded opinions from the owner, and this will be a huge contributor towards ongoing refinements.

If you want more trackspeed, get rid of the secondary setup.

Premium Features