• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo Gen 5 Toe Holds

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
@Norona, if I may offer one thing - users of toe holds/stirrups should take caution to make sure that they have enough room to fully twist or rotate your boot between the toe hold and running board. If they are placed close to your toe when standing on the running board and you fall off the side, your boot can get wedged, causing you at best to be dragged along with your sled. At worst during a roll (e.g. - when you lose your edge sidehilling), the sled can roll and break your leg or ankle. I've known one Axys Rider who suffered a broken ankle, and another who suffered a full tib/fib fracture. Riding out with either is a very dicey proposition.

So yes, they can lower riding effort, but if installed incorrectly can come with a significant risk. I once discussed this very thing with Bret Rassmussen when taking a clinic from him. His principle is "steer to lean, lean to turn". So when I brought this up as a question, he asked "Why are you using your feet to lean? That's what your handlebars are for." I humbly defer to the O.G. "Professor" on this one, so thought I'd share. :)

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
@Norona, if I may offer one thing - users of toe holds/stirrups should take caution to make sure that they have enough room to fully twist or rotate your boot between the toe hold and running board. If they are placed close to your toe when standing on the running board and you fall off the side, your boot can get wedged, causing you at best to be dragged along with your sled. At worst during a roll (e.g. - when you lose your edge sidehilling), the sled can roll and break your leg or ankle. I've known one Axys Rider who suffered a broken ankle, and another who suffered a full tib/fib fracture. Riding out with either is a very dicey proposition.

So yes, they can lower riding effort, but if installed incorrectly can come with a significant risk. I once discussed this very thing with Bret Rassmussen when taking a clinic from him. His principle is "steer to lean, lean to turn". So when I brought this up as a question, he asked "Why are you using your feet to lean? That's what your handlebars are for." I humbly defer to the O.G. "Professor" on this one, so thought I'd share. :)
talk about that in the video, these are higher and also polaris are now adjustable due to that fact, you can also ask yourself why there is a pad to put your foot in a car to push against, its called balancing your body, which actually requires less pull on the bars, same idea as a lower rider, it allows you to use the bigger muscles of your back and your body to steer the sled over the small muscles in your arms. cheers

Premium Features