• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sicamous Snow 2014-2015

D
Oct 20, 2012
Awesome, thanks for the update, been watching Revelstoke Mountain web cam and yes at 6800ft we have snow. Out in Sica next week to prep the machines.

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
Just got off the phone from my chopper buddy who flew from Kelowna over to Slocan/New Denver area, snow is starting to pile up from 5000' and up. With lots of rain and cool temps all next week it's starting to look pretty good! Sherm

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
I spoke to Uncle Gord today at the Snow Show in Vernon, he's the grooming manager for the Club. He said there isn't a ton of snow up top yet although a few die hards are out beating the rocks up. Queest has more than Owls, he's waiting for a few more reports and will post them on their site. As far a Blue Lk goes, he said they will be logging up in that area (on the road to Blue) until around the middle of January. But, no worries, that new trail they cut through from Owls to Blue will be accessible so it should mean some pristine sledding at the back of Blue and even to Sugar Loaf for those that like to venture. Lots of rain last night and lots more in the forecast for the coming week...Sherm

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
According to the Sic sled site there's 105 cm at Blue, and that's measured, not guessed. That was a couple days ago and its been raining and snowing since then so I'm guessing it might be OK to try a trail ride or two, no base yet...Sherm

stusnow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Monashee Mtns
Rode blue lk yesterday and was amazing. Tried getting into owlshead but not enough snow on lower part of trail

stusnow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Monashee Mtns
Took the connector from owlshead. Got to cabin easily. Just rode meadows up to and around cabin. Didn't want to drop into anything to far as it was so deep and the XP in our group was having tough time

S

STACAIR

Nov 6, 2009
what km you guys park at on owls? We gonna ride tomorrow and sunday too if its good!! either eagles or blue.

stusnow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Monashee Mtns
Can you get a truck w/ 2 place trailer into km7, or sled decks only?

I'd suggest decks only to the second lot. road is steep, tight & icy. the upper lot doesnt have much room either. we parked and rode from the upper lot (2.5km) on wednesday so your not saving much and looks like there is a bit of snow in town now

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Did my maiden voyage on the new sled up to Blue Lk today, unloaded at 2.5 km, pretty slick road in some spots but no problems. It was snowing but it didn't amount to much, regardless, it was a great trip. Although I love the deep stuff, I'm still anal about just getting out and enjoying the ride no matter how much snow there is. I was surprised at how much snow was on the road, it definitely could be groomed now (retired groomer voice!). I can't complain about the trail though, the new XM rides 3 times as soft as what my old Nytro did, never missed a beat or a hill! She's all "hero snow" up there now, pretty setup and tracked out all over the place. I did find a few spots down in the meadows though that were untouched and, a big thanks to the guys that marked the deep creeks with their sleds, nice to know where they are! I did a trip down to Blue Lk, I didn't venture out onto it but I see that sleds have been going across, I'll give it another week before I try it out although with this cold snap we've had it is probably OK? Well, there was one "wet spot" as soon as you leave dry land where a sled tore through, I'm in no hurry. Not a soul around today, it was great, even got to open up the Rave valves a couple of times in order to break the belt in! More snow on the way near the end of the week and Unc Gord says they're gonna groom it this week as well..... Sherm

141201d.jpg

Last edited:

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Did another trip up to Blue, thought things might have changed and although there was a fresh inch of snow, its' getting pretty pounded out. Even the trail is to the point where its getting tough to grab some snow on the side, scratchers made a huge difference for temp on the gauge. I did the ridge from the cabin and over to Brown Pants area, not another sled track to be seen! Beauty day, checked out the 911 area but it still looks pretty "iffy" for doing anything to serious over there. Dropped down to the lake and went across it, one big wet spot in the middle but other than that no water thrown up. Back up past the cabin through the meadows and then lunch in the sunshine! FYI, 20 minutes at 6500 rpm, then 4 pulls at 7500 rpm for 1 minute, machine off for 5 minutes, and the leftover stew came out perfect on the MuffPot, what a meal! Two other sledders headed in just when I was headed out, two more at the Owl's turnoff and 3 more at the 2.5 km parking that were just headed out. A couple of the guys parked in the bottom lot but its still pretty snow scarce on the road, we'll see how the grooming goes this week. I don't think they'll be grooming Blue to soon, that path through the trees is getting pretty lumpy and a skidder tried to go through the clearing when you turn off the logging road, looks pretty ugly in there for shallow logs. Sherm

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
Did a trip up to Owlshead this AM, roundabout trip via Skinny Ridge and past the Stash Cabin. Pretty good conditions other than the flat light, a honest 8-10" of heavy snow which made getting around pretty easy. Lots of creek/gulley/holes around, and I see by the tracks a few sledders found them!

I unloaded at 2km, trucks with no trailers can make it up there but the road is getting pretty slushy, as is the sled trail itself. The sled trail is pretty beat up from the weekend, but no where near as bad as the trail to Owl's cabin, it was brutal, even with the XM! We definitely need a big dump of snow to smooth that mess out, and with rain in the forecast for a few days maybe we'll get it by the weekend.

Oh, the chicken wings came out perfect too! 6000/6500 rpm in the meadows/trees for 30 minutes, then 6 pulls at 7000/7600 rpm, let sit for 5 minutes and voila! Sherm

Premium Features