• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shooting/Hunters Do you tell your co-workers you shoot?

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Interesting topic on another forum I thought you guys may like to read. A guy told his boss he shot trap and his career was nearly over. I find it hard to believe you would have to hide such a hobby/interest in your life but here is the facts.....You just may have to! To many dammmmm liberals.

Here is his post........

First of all, I love trapshooting as I have been doing it since 1970. With that being said, I have never been ashamed of my friends in the shooting sports or the game but when your boss can make it extremely tough on you because she is so anti gun I found myself in a very bad position at work as I had a wife and children to support.

Here is what exactly happened years ago. I came back from the Waukesha gun club as I attended the Wisconsin state shoot one year. My female boss asked me how my vacation was? I told her I had a great time as I took my entire family to Waukesha and shot the entire state trap shoot.

Suddenly, there was silence, and then she said "what type of parent would take his wife and children to a gun club where people are walking around and shooting guns? I told her it was safer at the gun club than going to the local mall as most of us know each other. I also invited her and her husband to the club for lunch and she flatly refused my offer.

She then said, " I am going to have to reevaluate having you work in my department as I could never have anyone who likes and shoots guns work for me".

Up until then I thought we had a good working relationship, as things soon changed. Luckily, her boss was a trapshooter and hunter and I went through the chain of command and explained the situation to him. He told me I did nothing wrong, but her husband was shot years ago while teaching at the university of Houston as a foreign exchange student shot him in the shoulder and another student due to receiving a poor grade. She was in her future husbands class at the time and witnessed this.

He also mentioned that both her and her husband are so anti gun that they spend their weekends going to book and magazine shops looking for gun magazines and turning them around in the rack and hiding them so no one will purchase them.

Long story short, we had a lot in common, so he transfered me to his department shortly afterwards, and in a few years I became her boss, which she requested a transer and I obliged her request.

My boss suggested that I keep my participation in the shooting sports under wraps as the boss above him was also very anti gun. I hate to say it, but something is wrong when you have to be censored at work for your involvement in a sport because some indiduals don't approve. Steve

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
I am in the military so I don't have to hide my involvement with guns. :yo:

I have a whole gun cabinet of them and like shooting almost as much as sledding. If it came right down to it the guns would be sacrificed after the sleds were. Maybe it's a survival thing.

I am pretty lucky to live in an area where most people have guns and don't think to much about someone else being involved with them.

Too bad there are places that people have that disarmament mentality.

I still remember ole Archie Bunker having a discussion with his daughter Gloria.

Gloria "Last year XXX people were killed by guns"

Archie "Would it make you feel better if they were throwed out of windas?"

Guns do not kill people. People kill people.

Look at Kennesaw, GA. Every household in the city of Kennesaw must have a firearm. It isn't a question of if you will get shot in that town. It's with what caliber of gun, if you are commiting a violent crime. The citizens CAN AND WILL defend themselves. Their crime rate is next to nothing.

http://www.tysknews.com/Depts/2nd_Amend/crime_rate_plummets.htm

Last edited:

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
sounds like she was a hippie whore

sleeping with her professor and marring him, she's obviously a freak, too bad she didn't fire you. you could of sued the pants off the company for allowing that. not that I condone that. .she's the type of idiot that tries to pet a bull elk or buffalo

S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota
I never tell my co-workers anything i dont think is their business unless i am good friends with them. The way the world is today you are better safe than sorry even if it is right, wrong, or indifferent.

On a side note, i am glad that guy got a promotion and was her boss by the end of it, i bet he was glad she asked to be transferred as well. Hopefully showing her that her stereo typical ways are exaggerated. Sounds like this guy was also very professional about the whole deal.

Last edited:
J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
we are a fairly small group at the office. i have no problem telling them about my hunting and shooting, and on top of that they are all women. my hobbies have nothing to do with my work performance

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I love to promote snowmobiling in a good way to people I works with. One of the guys I work with even is a gun dealer.

S

srx_600

Apr 16, 2009
South Dakota
I should also add that i think it would rely heavily on the field/profession you are in. For me i am in a mental health center doing IT and it is probably different from someone who works at a car dealership (for example).

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
I might discuss shooting at work or hunting but I don't go into details unless it is a friend I happen to work with.

Work is work, life outside of work is outside of life.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
I got caught up in something like that at my last job.

The company I worked for got bought out by an international company, with national headquarters in Georgia. My job involved extensive travel as a trouble shooter, so to get past company policy on computer use, I used my own laptop. In the fall of 2002, I shot a nice 6x6 in Wyoming so I had a picture of it as my screensaver.

While in San Francisco the next spring, the newly hired national operations manager came for a visit and he noticed the picture but did not say anything. A couple of days later at dinner with his boss and a regional manager “that both hunt” he brought up the subject. When he found out he was out numbered he dropped the subject.

Later that night he brought up the fact he liked to hike in the mountains and had occasionally seen elk and then he asked me if elk are “Vicious”. The word made me laugh, and then the others laughed also. We then explained that they might get aggressive, but they are not vicious.

After that my job assignments got increasingly unpleasant. I found out after I resigned that he was embarrassed by me laughing at him.

coolm7cat

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2008
Montana
so i should'nt wear my t shirt to work saying there's a place for all god's creatures right next to the potatoes and gravy.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
If the college professor would've had a concealed weapons permit, he might have gotten off a shot in time to keep from being shot himself. Nothing wrong with guns. But there is some gun carriers that have something wrong with them.
By the way I do not own any firearms.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
HouseSign2.jpg

B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Fortunate to have grown up and live where I do.

I guess I'm pretty fortunate to be where I am. Growing up guns and hunting where a way of life. My parents used to let us skip school on opening day of deer season before we could even pack a real gun. We were tought from the get go how to properly handle a weapon and to respect what it could do. I think that more of today's youth could benefit from some of these same lessons.

I talk hunting/shooting and every other past time I have with any/everyone at work, this is who I am what else am I going to talk about. I never considered it could get me in trouble at work, but if it ever did I think I would be looking for somewhere else to work.

S

sledaddiction

Jul 23, 2012
Wyo
I'm pretty fortunate to have lived my whole life in Wyoming. Hunting and shooting are just the ways things are here. Everyone hunts, and everyone owns a gun. I walked into work tonight, and there were three magazines in the breakroom. American Rifleman, Eastman's Bowhunting Journal, and SnoWest.

I'm glad things turned out alright for this guy. It's strange for me to think that something like this could happen at work.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
I always have a gun at work, my floater operators always have guns and I have pictures of dead animals all over my office.:face-icon-small-coo

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
Where I work if you have a firearm or anything else that could be considered a weapon on you or even inside your vehicle in the parking lot. You will be terminated immediatley.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
Where I work if you have a firearm or anything else that could be considered a weapon on you or even inside your vehicle in the parking lot. You will be terminated immediatley.

Just goes on to say that it really matters on your occupation. I've been in the PNW all my life and guns/hunting/shooting is just a part of life. Some of my earliest memories are plinking beer cans with grandpa and an old stevens single shot .22. I've grown up in the outdoors and guns have always been a part of my life. Cant really imagine life without them. Then again i live out in the sticks and shoot coyotes off my front porch and clays out of the back yard. At work everyone is always showing pics of hunting kills and such, especially this time of year. I'd say that out of probably 20 employees, 18 of us for sure own guns and not sure about the other 2, but i bet they do too. Ive always got a rifle in the gun rack of my pickup and a pistol under the seat. Hell, we boresighted one of the parts guy's new sendero .300 on the parts counter.

himarker

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah

same here, but i still have a little .22 pistol in my consol at all times along with 2-3 knives throughout the truck. the three people i work with all day know about it but i keep it hush hush as far as the rest of the company goes. this is also a pretty big hunting community and most people around here hunt so talking about hunting and such is usually no big deal. hell, a lot of the gas stations and fast food joints even open extra early just for hunting season. the whole "i don't like it so nobody else should do it" mentality is the stupidest bs there is, and in my opinion is one of if not the biggest problem in this country these days. living in utah there is A LOT of that mentality with all the hipocrit mormons running around, and yes technically I'm mormon just inactive as they say.

Premium Features