• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Service Honda- 2013 KX500AF Build Project

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
things heat'n up

when Polaris was struggling with warped cases and crank breaking and warranty issues in the late 90's they did a lot of testing and hired independend labs to test and came away with the number 135 degrees F above which two stoke engines and cases under stress will have a very short life. Two stoke engines are not your honda civic and 210 degress is not an acceptable target temp. By the early 2000's almost all sled mfgs. were making bigger heat exchangers, redid their cooling systems, all about keeping heat temps down for deto relief and case temps down for longer engine / crank life.

Big two stroke bikes don't suffer cooling issues because the people capable of running one hard enough back in the day to worry about engines temps were factory riders with new engines by the week. Check with guys who have adapted these kawi's and Honda's to carts and dune buggies and could really stress one hard without falling off, now its time to keep temps down or dnf.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It's different because of the snow cooling effect IMO. It's not like we're too hot, we are too cold. Need to be in the 140-160 range I believe. Talked to my engine builder and 110-120 is too cold. I believe even 130 is a little low. Maybe on a stock motor its one thing but a lightly modded/ported cyl needs a certain temp. If not your open to wear and a possible cold seize.

Polaris isn't who I would be trusting on those numbers LOL. Their track record is the worst in the 2 stroke sledding history LOL. Maybe they need to up the temps LOL

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey Guy's.
Here is a teaser. I am heading out the door for a ride. I will elaborate details later. Here are some pic's. Too many details to get specific this morning. Here are a few. Full Titanium chassis, full Titanium Jack shaft, Titanium drive shaft, Titanium springs,and every nut and bolt Titanium!!! All small detail parts black anodized, black anodized strut rod, black anodized fork clamps, front spindle hardware all Titanium..... the list goes on and on and on..... I haven't addressed Carbon Fiber or Belt Drive in the secondary yet! The "Mad Scientists" at Timbersled Products never rest.....amazing. This thing is so beautiful I don't know if I should ride it or put it on the coffee table in my living room! hummm....actually, that's not a bad idea!

009small.jpg 010small.jpg 012small.jpg 014small.jpg 015small.jpg 017small.jpg 019small.jpg

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I wanna know ! Everyone wants to know ! Better take it off and buy a scale LOL

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Very nice, if your going for light weight, remove every other outside nub on the track, I'm surprised they run a fully clipped track and there not lightweight clips, but I see there's no extra wheels maybe that's why?

E

eskimojoe77

Nov 30, 2011
Why not?

Why no ti sprockets or track clips. Does NASA make titanium 520 chain or heim joints?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
At the trailhead:

M1020004_zpsb4ff0018.jpg

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
A little bird told me we have the carb heat on the Smartcarb all figured out ! You will have yours before mine so make sure you take a few pics when you get it. I hope my cast Smartcarb shows up sooner than May 1 LOL

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Those little birds! Ha funny. Yes, Corey and the team at APT have two features that will begin testing next week. One is the "roll-over" valve in the carb, preventing flooding after a roll over. I did roll the bike upside down to get turned around on super steep situations. I found it was the same as starting other conventional carbbed engines. I held it wide open and it started after a few kicks. Not anything unusual. The new valve will prevent the flooding and the additional fuel spill into the case. Roll over etc, stand it back up, start and go! That will be very nice. The second feature will be a "bossed" area for easy installation of the currently available carb heater. I am very excited about that. With no carb ice on a system that is altitude and temp compensating will be the ultimate. I will post pic's and details next week.

Last edited:
M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
A little bird told me we have the carb heat on the Smartcarb all figured out ! You will have yours before mine so make sure you take a few pics when you get it. I hope my cast Smartcarb shows up sooner than May 1 LOL

I know! Super exciting stuff. I hope you do to. If not, all of May and June are awesome. Warm, sunshine, spring riding is a kick. You can cover miles and miles and miles.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
It's coming, it's coming. Ha Thanks. The Kansas, Missouri country got pounded with snow and they are struggling with everything. Not used to the deep white stuff I guess! Ha Postal service, UPS etc. should be back to normal soon. I am waiting for the new "heated and roll-over valve" unit to arrived. I will be testing, reporting, and getting some vid of the Monster a.s.a.p.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
Hey everyone. I got the new APT Smart Carb with two new features. The new model I am testing has a "roll over" valve feature that prevents fuel from draining into your engine from a roll over. It is also "heated"! There is a bossed area for installation of the KTM electric heater.

I ran out for a quick test yesterday in some crappy weather. Perfect for testing the Carb Heater though. Just above freezing, foggy, and wet. I ran for two hours and pulled the intake boot for a peek; the carb was spotless. Zero ice. I will be in a variety of temp and humidity conditions and report back on the results. It looks like it is going to be ice free!

The second feature gets tested unintentionally from time to time! ha! In flat light on a steep side-hill I got the bike vertical in a drift. The easiest way to quickly get out and get going, is to roll it over. I got above it, lifted the ski and flopped it upside down, "over backwards, down hill", and pulled it around parallel to the hill then stood it up. I climbed on and did NOT open the throttle. I wanted to try to start it like a warm, normal start. With zero throttle, it started and idled on the second kick. The roll over valve feature is amazing.

These guys are producing some pretty amazing stuff. When we get some sun and blue sky, I will try to get some quality vid's. Here is a little clip of the test yesterday. You can hear the big KX is clean and crisp.

http://youtu.be/CxAwVOoogKk

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smarty sure runs nice ! I see you don't have your pipe wrap on ? Doesn't seem to make much difference when it is jetted perfect lol ! That carb is truely the answer. Nothing but good comments on all the various dirtbike forums ! I am going to buy a couple cast 36mm for my 300 and my wifes 200 for sure !

I love watching the 500 vids !

Premium Features