• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

seizures?

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
if these sleds go down loading at the dealer or in the first mile, two things come to mind.

When you autopsy the motor:
if its a seizure in that sort of time you likely have severe detonation which can junk a piston in about 60 seconds even at an idle. Or are these motor stopping because of some other mechanical interference.

Over the years suzuki has had severe deto on the first 650's that grounded the whole fleet. Case bolts backing out and stopping the flywheel right out of the crate on the first zr700s.

Or when you unbotton that thing is there metal in the wrong place and stopping a bearing. Like loose metal shavings, loose nuts etc.

Cat /Suzuki usually want that destroyed motor back in a bag quick and unmolested. So the mysteries and information vacum continues, corporate cya is usually first priority.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
this is sounding like cold seizes to me, now not saying people aren't warming them up but has everyone checked there intake boots and exhaust donut, either one can suck cold air in and cold seize...

i heard somwhere about loose intake boots..

just another theory! haha

-Aksnopro

H
Nov 26, 2007
Another possibility is a faulty vent on the oil reservoir. Oil lines fill with oil, pump works for a short time then it can no longer suck because of the vacuum in the reservoir. Then motor locks up. I have seen this happen when partner put saran wrap under his oil cap to stop it from "leaking".

S
Sep 25, 2011
That is very true, and I've witnessed it way back when on a Suzuki GT380. Riding bud going down the road about 45mph and the motor squeaked like right now. But it took an hour or so of operation to create enough vacuum.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
this is sounding like cold seizes to me, now not saying people aren't warming them up but has everyone checked there intake boots and exhaust donut, either one can suck cold air in and cold seize...

-Aksnopro

Honestly, really. Do you even know what a cold seize is. If you dont know what your talking about then you should probable not even open you mouth/key board.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap

-Aksnopro

Is the cold air coming though the throttle bodies any different? Every sled should be cold seizing according to your theory lol.

Now if you're talking about lean conditions being a problem, then yeah, could happen.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
If you dont know what your talking about then you should probable not even open you mouth/key board.

Is the cold air coming though the throttle bodies any different?

air getting sucked in through the intake boot seal can mess with the air fuel ratio..

i was throwing it out there and even mentioned i was adding to the 50 theory's.

a lot of things can contribute to the piston and cylinder not heating up to temp and seizing.

a cold seize on its own with nothing else going on, is not common or you would see tons of them everywhere. something has to be going on changing the heating and cooling property's of the cylinder/piston and that's where my theory came in.

people have claimed failures running premix so how can that cause a lean condition? loose intake boots and the oil line having bubble in it.

all i was trying to get out there was check your intake boots, cause several people say they ran premix so it doesn't make sense they all a sudden are getting twice as much cold seizes. so what could be causing them, or the lean condition.....

instead of bashing people trying to help why don't you try an figure out the issue...

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
air getting sucked in through the intake boot seal can mess with the air fuel ratio..

i was throwing it out there and even mentioned i was adding to the 50 theory's.

a lot of things can contribute to the piston and cylinder not heating up to temp and seizing.

a cold seize on its own with nothing else going on, is not common or you would see tons of them everywhere. something has to be going on changing the heating and cooling property's of the cylinder/piston and that's where my theory came in.

people have claimed failures running premix so how can that cause a lean condition? loose intake boots and the oil line having bubble in it.

all i was trying to get out there was check your intake boots, cause several people say they ran premix so it doesn't make sense they all a sudden are getting twice as much cold seizes. so what could be causing them, or the lean condition.....

instead of bashing people trying to help why don't you try an figure out the issue...

-Aksnopro

It is fairly clear that you do not know what a cold seize is. You are talking about a lean condition not a cold seize.

Cold siezers happen when the engine gets very hot before the coolant circulates. Then the very cold coolant hits the hot cylinder and shrinks it around the the expanded piston causing it to stick. This can be caused by a couple of things, running the sled too hard before its warmed up, a sticking thermostat or a air lock in the cooling system.

Nothing to do with intake/exhaust leaks.

Last edited:
A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Im pretty sure im just saying check your intake boots, even if the antifreeze is what caused the cold seize running lean isn't helping...

My sled came in today :) ill be looking her over shortly :)

-Aksnopro

-Aksnopro

superfly333

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
MN
I was told that it could be caused by air in the oil lines, lay it on the clutch side for 5-10 minutes. I heat cycle all of my new sleds many times before they get ridden.

C

Cat Bandit

Mar 4, 2009
By what percentage? Not very much at all. You would have to dump ina ton of oil to cause a problem with leaness and if you did it would barely run.

The way I understand it is that the oil increases the viscosity of the fuel, so it doesn't get sucked through the jets on a carburetor as easy, which makes it leaner. On a fuel injected engine, it would take a lot of oil to make a difference in my opinion. But without testing, who knows really? I don't think mixing 50 to 1 in the tank, and running the oil injection would be a big deal. You're only squirting 50:1 mixed through the injectors, which people isn't hardly anything. You'll likely kill the plugs because they're seeing 25:1, but it won't be lean...

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
It's amazing how many people blame the dealers and not Arctic Cat. Yeah, we have to have some maintenance and mechanical knowledge in this sport, but when you buy a new sled...it should come ready to go. The last three sleds I bought were all ready to go...extra oil added and all.

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
It's amazing how many people blame the dealers and not Arctic Cat. Yeah, we have to have some maintenance and mechanical knowledge in this sport, but when you buy a new sled...it should come ready to go. The last three sleds I bought were all ready to go...extra oil added and all.

Umm, the dealers set the sleds up and do the final inspection before delivery to the customer, not the manufacturer. PDI, you may have heard the acronym before.

Was the extra oil added to your last three sleds by Polaris or your dealer? Your dealer added the oil.

Last edited:
I

izzni

Mar 22, 2009
Vadnais Heights

The dealers are often the problem. When I picked up my sled they told me how to do nothing besides remove the side panels. And that they did at lightning speed without asking if I understood how.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
i have always wondered how its in a dealers benifit to have a sled all tuned up when it leaves..

they will sell twice as many belts if they dont align the clutches, they will sell twice as much oil if they make it run a little rich.

if it brakes under warranty they know cat (in most cases) will pay them to fix it.

where is the bonus for them putting it together having better belt life and being bullet proof reliable?

they dont set them up properly they save coin on paying someone to set it up..

i think there should be a different system... as much as i want to think that most dealers put there heart into every setup. fact is its just not true. i have yet to have a sled that didnt need simple things like the track tightened properly the belt deflection set, and clutches aligned ect ect ect....

i promise i will check for air bubbles, heat cycle the motor, align the clutches, make sure every nut feasible is tight on the biatch!!!

arctic cat give me the option to get it delivered to my house in a crate, for 50 bucks off!! i care about my sled, but does my dealer?

fact is im taking it 30-50 miles into the mountains not my dealer!!!

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
Premium Features