• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sealing exhaust

L
May 15, 2009
What is the best way to seal the exhaust on your sled? What I would like to know is it a good idea to use the copper colored high heat silicone (what I have) around the y-pipe, then put the exhaust gasket on, then silicone over the exhaust gasket, then put the pipe on? Trying to stop the exhaust/oil from coming out where the pipe connects w/the y-pipe. The exhaust gasket is on great shape as it fits tightly on the y-pipe and the springs are really tight also. Any help/information would be appreciated.
Thanks

mx100

Lifetime Membership
Jun 16, 2010
Livingston, MT.
I have used the copper gasket sealer on both ends of the Y pipe. The Y pipe needs good nordlock (sp) washers on the bolts to keep it from coming loose from the head, and that will help keep it from leaking there. I use copper sealer on the gaskets just like you mentioned.

Run a 1/8" bead of copper seal around the donut gasket that connects the y pipe to the pipe, both on the inside and outside of the donut, and make sure it gets seated on the Y pipe and the pipe, spread evenly, and use good springs, this should stop any leak in that area. Make sure you let the copper seal set up for 24 hrs before you fire your sled.

Premium Features