• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

San Diego - Utah......I might be crazy.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Ok so here's my story. 3 years ago I relocated to the San Diego area from Wisconsin. Obviously sledding is non existent here so sold everything but my riding gear. I guess I held on to that out of the hope that I could go back from time to time and ride. Unfortunately its just too much of a production to get back to the Midwest enough to ride.

However, this year I really started getting the itch to ride again. I started looking into it and I am 5 hours or so from rideable snow in CA (Mammoth Lakes) and about 9 1/2 hour from Provo. So I started kicking things around and the wife and I are going to get out there and check the area out around Strawberry Reservior. If the riding is good we would most likely look into buying a second home or a cabin in the area. However, being from the midwest and having never done much in the say of off trail riding I am looking for some input on the area.

Here are some questions I have:
1. Generally, how's the riding there?

2. How long is the season?

3. What is the normal temps there? Seems like mountain riders dress a lot lighter than we did back in Wisconsin/Michigan. I am guess you aren't seeing the sub-0 temps.

4. What size tracks are best suited for the area? I don't really plan on nigh marking. Just general back country riding with my wife and eventually kids.

5. Any other area recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Skidoox

Lifetime Membership
Sep 4, 2001
Provo, UT
Mike,

The area around Strawberry Reservoir has great riding.

Take a look at the following maps

http://snowut.com/trails/complex9/

http://snowut.com/trails/complex3/

2. How long is the season?

It depends on the year, but most years December to April.

3. What is the normal temps

0 - 30 degrees.

4. What size tracks are best suited for the area

154" -155"

5. Any other area recommendations?

You may want to look at the Duck creek area it just above Cedar City, it would save 3 hr on your drive.
http://snowut.com/trails/complex8/

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Skidox answered your questions all pretty well!

If you need a sled rental when checking it out then check us out. www.uintarecreation.com

We have nearly 30 sleds, we buy new every year and have the new axys 800, ski doo 850, T3 800 and a bunch of 600's.

Call me personally (Adam) and mention that you found me on snowest and I'll give you 10% off.

A
Nov 10, 2015
Northern Utah
Logan canyon area is pretty good area to look in to. Plus you could get a cabin/house at Bear Lake and use year round. I think the reason we dress lighter is because mtn riding is a lot more of a workout so your not as cold

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I will be giving you a call Adam. We'll be renting this year and buying next year.

Another question about trailers. Back in the Midwest we primarily used aluminum trailers because of all the salt on the roads. I see a lot of people pulling steel trailers in the west. Do they not use salt out here?

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. I will be giving you a call Adam. We'll be renting this year and buying next year.

Another question about trailers. Back in the Midwest we primarily used aluminum trailers because of all the salt on the roads. I see a lot of people pulling steel trailers in the west. Do they not use salt out here?

Plenty of salt on the roads. Were just mere peasants, thats why you see more steel trailers vs aluminum

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Gotcha. Not too sure about the peasant part though. I see the prices of some of these gooseneck trailers and they make my old Legend look like a bargain. LOL

How sketchy are the main roads through the mountains in the winter? Will a 1/2 ton SUV do the trick or is it better to have a 3/4-1 ton diesel for a 4 place trailer? (Wife wants a Yukon XL and I want a F-350 or 2500/3500)

Last edited:

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
How much are you really pulling that 4 place and what else will you do with it?
Good Tires.
an occasional trailer trip of a 100 miles or so, you should be fine with a Yukon. If you are going to use the heck out of it and drag trailers back and forth between Utah and SD then go for the diesel.

Good Tires and carry a set of chains. Did I mention you need good tires that perform well in snow and ice.
Big mud tires look nice but don't perform well on ice.
and also slow the heck down!!!! You don't have to be the first to the hill. Don't drive like it is the Indy 500. Slow down and make it there in one piece, then pin it to the bar all day long.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
That's what I was thinking. I would be making numerous trips a year from SoCal to wherever we decide to ride. In a a couple years is my time line to have a cabin then I would leave the sleds up there most of the time. But there is a chance that would never come to fruition and I would be towing everywhere. I agree about the tires. I like the looks of lifted trucks on 35's but I wont do that. At most I would level it and keep the stock wheels. I really like the new Super Duty. I will probably look closer at those when the 18's come out. Let them get the kinks out of the 17's.

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Although I live in Boise now, I spent 28 season's riding Wasatch Mt./Soapstone which is next to strawberry. I'm not sure there is any better riding anywhere than in that area. Surprisingly, I only rode Daniels once, but the day I did was a memorable day. One downside is that a few riding areas close to strawberry (Guardsmen, Am. Fork) are under siege from the Ski Resorts and the idiocy of the Mountain Accord, but that won't affect Strawberry or the Uintas.

As for duck creek, we have property there, and the snow is phenomenal when it's there. It's been up and a down with the drought, but we made it down last year and rode in 18" of new in mid January. The case for Duck creek is that it's closer, and the summertime's are equally as epic as the winter. Cedar Breaks is spectacular in the winter time, and you are within 2 hours of 2 of the Mighty Five national parks (Bryce and Zion's).

Either way, riding in either place will top mammoth any day of the week snow-quality wise.

Have fun.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
That's what I was thinking. I would be making numerous trips a year from SoCal to wherever we decide to ride. In a a couple years is my time line to have a cabin then I would leave the sleds up there most of the time. But there is a chance that would never come to fruition and I would be towing everywhere. I agree about the tires. I like the looks of lifted trucks on 35's but I wont do that. At most I would level it and keep the stock wheels. I really like the new Super Duty. I will probably look closer at those when the 18's come out. Let them get the kinks out of the 17's.

Lifted on big meats looks good but not always the best functioning especially when towing. Especially when you start comparing prices on replacement tires if you are going to be running it back and forth alot.

Maybe you could rent some local storage and leave the sleds there. Might be alot cheaper than dragging them back and forth all the time.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Good Luck!

Lots of good advice from everyone. Especially from turbolover. I wish more people would slow down!

Super Duty.
800 155" Axys/Pro RMK.
Avy training is a must. It's not all about avalanches.
We have been trailering 1200+ miles one way for years. I pull a 32' aluminum enclose trailer with four mountain sleds with my 5.4 gas crew cab. We don't get there as fast as the big diesels, but we do get there. Renting at first, smart. You also mentioned eventually kids. That can change everything believe me! Not saying negative, just saying your life changes dramatically. It's all good! $.02 :)
No you are not crazy.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Thanks for all the input. It's much appreciated!

I am fairly familiar with towing around the midwest. I've had a few tow vehicles. (2005 Expedition, 2007 Tundra, 2009 Yukon XL, 2011 F-350, and a 2012 F-150 -- Yes I do go through a few cars). Anyway, the ONLY one I miss is the 350. Nothing tows like a diesel.

This is my old setup:

Download-File

But I am currently driving a 2015 X5 50i and it would tow a two place no problem. Even am aluminum 4 place. But I don't want to get caught on a slick road with a car that light. The wife wants me to keep my X5 and trade in her GLK350 on a Yukon XL Denali. I want to go diesel. If only Ford would bring back the Excursion! Anyway, I travel for work and I am trying to convince her to drive a truck while I am gone and then when I get home she can use my car. I would drive the truck all the time but trucks are a pain in the a$$ in SoCal traffic and I have a 90 mile drive to work that I do 4 times a month.

Anyway, my main concern is what the grades are like. I know pulling a 30' trailer up and down grades with a naturally aspirated gas 1/2 ton can be a work out for it. On maps it looks like I-15 is fairly consistant gradewise until I would get off of it to get up in the hills. Am I correct assuming that?

As for local storage I would definitely consider that. My question there is is there anywhere to wrench on your sled if needed? Anyone have any info on local storage options in the area?

Thanks!

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I should probably put "old" in quotes. I'd love to still have the truck and trailer. Sold everything after my divorce. Regret that now. lol

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
pm me, you can come ride with our crew.I'm originally from the mid west and in utah for 14 years. Grab a sled from Adam and well show you the goods. Where do you plan on living may determin where you ride. I have access to a sled friendly cabin community also if your looking for a second home.

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
I will definitely PM you. Thanks! We aren't going to be moving there. Just buying a second home/vacation home. So we can do that pretty much anywhere. That's why we would like to get out and check out the riding and the areas so we can determine what works best for us.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
I can vouche for the Bear Lake idea. Have family property there and moving up pretty much full time here in about 2 weeks. Fantastic riding with far fewer people. Some days riding during the week I see nobody else IF you go into Bear Lake and not unload IN Logan Canyon. I would assume prices would be less than anywhere outside of SLC as well. Extensive trail system with pay areas EVERYWHERE.

B Lake is an 18 X 8 mile lake so summers are fantastic s well

Pm if you come that way and I can show you around. I usually ride right from my house in St Charles.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

Premium Features