• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

safety & survival gear

P
Dec 7, 2007
Mill Creek, WA
I didn't see a thread dedicated to what safety/survival gear we think we should carry to be reasonably preparred.

Here's what I have come up with....

Avy
Wear a Beacon
Probe & shovel in my bacpack

Survival:
couple road flares - for starting fires
knife
parachute cord
extra batteries for radio, beacon, etc.
traditional compass
whistle
map
space blanket
small hand saw (folding type)
~15 ft webbing, caribeaner
2 4-mil contractor bags, rolled up
small flashlight or headlamp
bic lighter

First aid:
ace wrap
medication- anti inflam, and pain management (plastic film cans work great)
a few Gause '4x4's' (maxi-pads work great as well)
a roll of quality medical tape
Triple anti-biotic ointment
emergency splint - google search 'sam splint'

Other stuff to consider:
small amt. duct tape
cable ties
travel pack of baby wipes
water tablets
food (snack and survival)
Extra gloves/mittens
Laminated map of area
Sterno can (muff pot doubles as cooking pan)

because what I do for a living, its second nature for me to think about the medical stuff, and it doesn't take up much space or weigh very much. It sucks when someone you care about gets hurt, and you wish you had more than what you do - been there, don't want to do that again.

My Lt. suggested 6 oz. motor oil to help starting the fire.
smoked and vacuum packed meat keeps well when cool for snack food.
most protein bars taste like chalk, but work for emergency survival food.
I've commonly heard to plan for 2 days' worth of survival food.

It's been brought up that I didn't put GPS/Radio on this list, and they do belong. So: GPS, and know how to use it. Perhaps a laminated card with alternate frequencies to try if you don't find help on your primary.

Chime in, let's hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited:
M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
Ever since AB_summit dropped off a cliff and had to spend the night on a mountainside, I have many things added to my pack.

A lot of this stuff won't fit in a fly or helipro pack, good for weekend warriers, but they are just too small for the backcountry..

I keep some power bars and emergency water in my pack, and leave it there all season. I take a 2 way radio, and hand warmers to add to the list.
There is a Thermal blanket tarp from coghlan's that I have in my pack also. it s=is about the size of a magazine when folded up.
It is red on one side, and silver on the other. It will keep you warm and is bright red for being spotted. A tarp saved AB_Summit's life!

thermal-blanket.jpg

http://www.survival-gear.com/thermal-blanket.htm

C
Nov 28, 2007
MT/DC
i agree.

i have a dry bag on the back of my sled, in which i carry: heat reflecting space blanket, bivvy sack, headlamp, small dry box with lighter and matches, basic first aid kit, and some power bars...

V
Nov 27, 2007
denver area
Do the space blankets and bivy sacs have expiration dates? I just don't want mine to crumble if I need it. I carry a space blanket for a tarp and a spare and a bivy sac for me. Also heard to watch out for condensation under a space blanket...anyone use one that got wet?

I'm always looking at garage sales for a small stove that can burn on gas.

As far as emergency shelters, read up on a whelen tent if you have a tarp, you can rig up something similar. It's basically a lean-to with sides and top in order to keep warmth from a fire.

Someone ought to do a video on snow survival like man vs. wild or survivorman and put it on youtube or in a sled video.

EDIT: I also carry a canteen cup for melting snow for water. Aluminum foil can be made into a cup in a pinch so at least fold up some and put it in your kit.

W
Jan 2, 2008
Must!

A 10 oz bag of jerky and a 7 oz chocolate bar will keep your energy up and belly feelin good if you hafta spend a night out water proof some stick strike anywhere matches
Buy dipping them in wax {both ends} so they are completely protected from weather
“Remember even when you are out of gas you can still sock a peace of material to start a fire”

B
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City, SD
On the safety side of things. Evaluate whats the worst that can happen before you act. Was in a meadow last year and saw a little valley that looked like it could be wet. Hit it anyway, smoked a rock, dumped the sled, it was wet, sled was upside down in the middle of it. Bad deal. Without thinking, I went after it (water was only deep enough to barely seep through the snow, not even 1/4 of the way up my boots). The water kept rising and before I knew, it was up to my knees. My riding partner and I were just gonna leave the sled and high tail it back to warm up and try to get it the next day but I don't think that the two of us would have been able to get out on 1 sled in the deep snow. Luckily 3 other guys showed up and we were able to hook a strap onto my sled and pull it out. Cold ride home, thought I was gonna loose my feet.

Moral of the story, think before you do something. I did two dumb things in row and luckily help showed up. If they didn't....different story.

B
Nov 21, 2007
There have been 2 good threads about "what to put in your backpack" the last couple of years. Tons of good ideas. Do a search, maybe on the old forum.

As for carrying 6 oz. of motor oil....someone had the idea to just bring a tampon and dip it into the oil res. Seems to me it would be less cumbersome and a lot less messy if the oil ever spilled in your pack or sled. I'd only take the tampon out for true emergencies when you really need to start a fire, your riding group may never let you hear the end of it otherwise!

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
If you ride with a muff pot or hotdogger, no need to carry anything else to melt water. I also wrap duct tape around an emergency candle, carry several size bungy cords, and carry powdered energy drinks that can be mixed with water.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
EDIT: I also carry a canteen cup for melting snow for water. Aluminum foil can be made into a cup in a pinch so at least fold up some and put it in your kit.
Aluminum shovel should work well too...

M

modsledr

Nov 26, 2007
Western WA
Ever since AB_summit dropped off a cliff and had to spend the night on a mountainside, I have many things added to my pack.

A lot of this stuff won't fit in a fly or helipro pack, good for weekend warriers, but they are just too small for the backcountry..

I keep some power bars and emergency water in my pack, and leave it there all season. I take a 2 way radio, and hand warmers to add to the list.
There is a Thermal blanket tarp from coghlan's that I have in my pack also. it s=is about the size of a magazine when folded up.
It is red on one side, and silver on the other. It will keep you warm and is bright red for being spotted. A tarp saved AB_Summit's life!

thermal-blanket.jpg

http://www.survival-gear.com/thermal-blanket.htm

Thanks for the link, Cuso...just ordered 2!!

modsledr

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
small pot with lid, full of first aid and powdered soups cans of tuna, jelly fuel in a can will burn heat for hours and hours. Flares and now a sat phone to accompany my garmin.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
A good old fashioned map is priceless, and making sure someone that isn't not going out with you knows your route and when to expect you. The authorities have to know your gone before they will look for you. I have thought about a flare gun, anyone carry one?

C

cableguy

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Country BC
The authorities have to know your gone before they will look for you. I have thought about a flare gun, anyone carry one?[/QUOTE]

absolutly, some kind of flare kit is essentiall

T
Nov 27, 2007
Cle Elum, Wa
Another item that is light and small is a gps unit. Like a beacon, just having it doesn't make it work. Know how to use you safety equipment. I've had my gps for 3 years now, use it a lot when hunting in the back country and am still discovering features and understanding it better. Make sure to carry extra batteries also. Most items you can throw in at the begining of the season and they will be good till spring. Don't assume because a radio or beacon worked last season or last week it will work today. Do your pre-ride checks.

Premium Features