• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ripped track, no problem

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Rail stabbed my track while in Cooke earlier this month. What happened is the rail cap fell of and took out 3 of the track windows. Had to limp it out for about 5 miles back to camp, but was lucky to be able to drive it back no problem.

Ended up taking off the front track shock and using a rope to tie the front of the skid up as high as it would go, so it wouldnt stab the track again. Also ended up cutting all the lugs off the track in the ripped part. I drove it for a little ways and the lugs were flexing the track and actually making it worse. After the lugs were cut off I could cruise at a nice 20mph.

Once in town I checked around for a replacement track but no luck. It was either 200+ bucks a day to rent or fix what I had.

Took about 4 hours to patch up my 5.1 track and couldn't have been happier with results. Was able to climb just as before and could still hit about 60 on the trail (slight vibration above 45).

To fix I used another chunk of track I cut out of a track I had on another sled. Only takes about 30 seconds to cut a track off a sled:face-icon-small-coo Track I used was a older rmk 136. I ended up using 5 pitches of the donor track to fix up my ripped 5.1

I cut all the lugs off the patch, took out all the window clips and shaved off the inner drive lugs to make the new piece of track completely flat.

I had to remember to cut the patch narrow enough so it didn't interfere with the center driver on my polaris.

I scabbed some studs out of the sno pro we had with. These worked great to secure the patch to my track and hold everything nice and tight. I ended up having to snap the studs off right at the lock nut so they didn't go through the coolers on my tunnel.

I left as much of the ripped track as I could so it would ride smooth on the hyfax and go around the drivers and bogies without catching. Even though the patch didn't sit flat on the track, it ran real smooth and didn't build up with snow or catch any sticks.

This worked incredibly well and kept me from renting a sled for 2 days. If you encounter a problem like this, give it a shot, it works!

Thanks to everyone who lended tools, help, advice or said it wouldn't work.

P4030025.jpg P4030027.jpg P4030029.jpg P4030030.jpg P4030031.jpg P4030035.jpg P4040024.jpg P4050068.jpg

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
Track I used for a patch was well cashed before the trip. Bought it for my old rmk couple years ago for 50 bucks...

I put on over 100 miles on this fix. But yea, I wouldn't prefer to have a track like this:beer;:beer;

jmom

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2009
you my friend, can come sledding with me anytime you want!!!! very nice fix

x2
I got to see the finished fix in person.....good stuff, forest circus guy.
pretty ballsie ripping that up those April chutes with that band aid too.:hail:

R

roni87

Feb 11, 2011
I Falls, MN
x2
I got to see the finished fix in person.....good stuff, forest circus guy.
pretty ballsie ripping that up those April chutes with that band aid too.:hail:

Yep I remember you,

Them chutes were pretty sweet in the snow we had that week!

Premium Features