• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding in or around elko?

H
Jan 13, 2008
Boise
The family and I are supposed to head down to elko in Febuary for the Hillclimbs and I was wondering if taking sled is a good Idea? I was curious what areas are good to ride and if there is a good map or any pics?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
Bring your sled for sure. Located approximately 20 miles SE of Elko near the city of Lamoille is Lamoille Canyon. Drive up Lamoille Canyon to the snowline and ride. There will be about 6 or 7 miles of trail riding then the area opens up into several play bowls, a little tree riding and lots of steep technical hillclimbing. I think you'll enjoy it, most people do. Some folks will probably mention riding north near Wildhorse Reservoir in the Independence Mountains. It can be good riding during a big snow year, but for the most part north of town rarely gets enough snow for a quality ride. Take a look at the other "snowmobiling near Elko" post in this section, there are some photos of Lamoille Canyon.

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
Where do they do the hillclimb? I almost had to heli my ported M-sled out of Lamoille LATE last season during that last snowstorm. Luckily she loosened back up and I was able to ride it out. 2 Dougs, where's it at????

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
in the shadow of the Rubies, Nevada
You might want to re-think your strategy. If you come down for the climbs, its a little hard to attend and ride in the same day because of travel time. You want to reserve at least a half day for Lamoille riding. Be alright if you dont attend 1 day of climbs. Willing to offer... depends if i enter the climbs again or am working... would be more than happy to guide ya'. Actually guided as a profession in Stanley and Sun Valley for 2 winters. Dont worry... it would be free. I just like to ride with new people, make new acquaintences...you know, so you could return the favor if i head to Idaho!:)

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Hillclimbs are at the Elko Snowbowl north of town in the "foothills". Its not to bad an event. Drew around 180 entries last year. I have a vid posted of the "semi-pro" hill on youtube. Search nevadahigh365

D
Mar 2, 2008
Powdercrew, Does that offer stand for anyone? I'm looking forward to heading up to Lamoille canyon this winter since I've lived my whole life riding in the Sierras, but now I want to try something new!

H
Jan 13, 2008
Boise
Powdercrew we are finalizing plans on the arrival dates and how long we are going to stay and then I will pm you if thats ok? The offer sounds great and I also extend an offer If you head to Boise. We spend alot of time around Mccall and Tripod once in a while we head to Trinities. Thanks

PowderCrew

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2007
Offer to ride stands for EVERYONE!!! Just LOVE to ride and there isnt a better community of people than that of sleddin... no matter what state! Feel free to PM anytime with dates or questions. So...dc3655 and hoolee99, its a deal! Trade: ride for ride:D! Had a short experience in "Black Canyon"(?) Tahoe City(?) and definently want to try it again as well as up 88. And had an AWESOME!!! weekend up in the Trinities last year! Try to get up there and over to Fairfield (cow camp) a couple times a year.

Premium Features