• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

reports on the powerclaw

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
so i was thinking about buying a powerclaw for my m7, and i sent out an email to enquire about a price. this was the reply i got back:

"Dave:

I'm sold out of Power Claws and won't be selling them anymore. Had too many complaints about them.

Check with any Cat dealer I hear they have lots of them now that people have found out what they are really like.

If you want more info on them you can call me xxx-xxx-xxxx

Takes too long to type all the problems with them."

i thought people were liking the PC? what do you guys think after a full season of riding them? should i be looking at something else?

T
I would like to know what to watch out for also as I have two. I had a 174 on a sled this year and loved it only the sled kept crapping out so I traded it with every intention of installing the 174 on my new m8, the dealer told me I would be impressed with this track but figured that was just dealer hype but never got around to installing it and after a couple rides decided I don't need any more:eek: this track is the only track I have ran that the rear of the sled lifts in soft powder:p:p I have since sold my 174 and rails and have two sleds running this track,1 with 1500 miles ,1 with about 70 and was going to buy one for my other sons 153 so would like to hear if there is a problem with these. Not to call BS but I have only heard good unless its on a turbo and then I think the HP tears up the thin track. Please post problems or im me with dealers number as I am wondering....Garry

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
The powerclaw RULES. There are tons of posts on here about it. Do some reading.

It does have a lot of fraying issues, maybe that is what he is referring to. I don't know.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
Got about 2000KM on mine and absolutely LOVE it . Best track I've ever had . Frays a bit on the edges but who cares ??? best possible upgrade you could do on any sled .

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
now these are the types of reviews i am used to hearing about the PC. thats what took me by surprise when this track dealer gave me this reply. perhaps he is having trouble getting PC's in stock and doesn't want to lose business?

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have a 162 x 16" Camo Extreme on one of my sleds a 153" Power Claw on the other.

After riding a 153" Power Claw, I decided I didn't need to go to a 162" on my new sled. The 153" Power Claw does very, very well in every snow condition I have encounted.

It's also held up very well with maybe a bent over paddle or two but, that may be from cinching it down tight on the trailer.

Send Free Agent a PM and she will hook you up with a deal on a track.

1Mike900

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Bellevue, Wa
The only complaints i have heard about on here, 1) the track clips came off of some 2) grinding on the edge of the rivets on the new sleds, Hence track fraying "09 M8/10 3) some say they trench more, Could be setup? 4) You have to cut off the middle nubs on the outer edge of the track if your drivers have outside cogs. Otherwise should be an OK track as Skidoo guys are trying them inplace of the heavy 16" wide. I would like to try a 153 version on a M1, But there are both good and bad replies with this. I would like a 156 version, Am thinking of the 2.5" challenger extreme, But it is heavy and hard compound. They need a lightweight version of this with a "little" softer compound?

Mike

Last edited:

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I know 2 guys with turbos running the claw. 1 is an M7 162 race gas at 10 lbs of boost, he took off a 162x2.5 C.E. and said he likes the claw in every condition, there might have been a couple times that the C.E. might have worked better but very pleased with the claw and doesn't plan on going back to the C.E. The other sled is an 09 M1000 162 with a 1200 BB and a race gas turbo at 10 lbs of boost. He likes the claw also, with no complaints.

The only complaint i have is when i ride in wet or heavy snow it throws alot of snow at the back of my helmet and down my back, Brrrr.

P
Feb 28, 2008
Castlegar BC
well since its clear that this track dealer was trying to feed me bad info, i'll post the name of the company... trackscanada.net

i read someone elses earlier post here on the forums and they had recommended tracks canada as a source for the PC. definitely not the case.

i am also interested in which would be the better track to buy... the hcr PC or the regular one... i wonder which one is on the production sleds for next year?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
According to the Cat website its the same as this year 80 duro on standard and sno-pro M8 and 90 duro on HCR M8

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
Put one on my 08 M1000 153 and I love it. I was going to go longer but now I'm satisfied!! Love the track!!!:D

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Anyone know how the P.C. on the HCR is holding up w/the harder durometer -vs- the reg one?.

I have a few 80 duros & 1 90 duro on an HCR, not impressed with braking or traction on the 90. Overall "I feel" it's an inferior track.

I love the 80 though, great track. We had a very bare year up high this season, hit lots of rocks, and all our paddles are intact & they're not bent over any more than one would expect out of a camo track.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I ride a 09 m1000 162 and my buddie rides a 08 m1000 162 his has a camo extreme 2.5 both have slp full exhaust, I have a bdx intake and he removed his hood. he is also running a rtk head and clutching, overall sled and rider we where within 5lbs of each other. But with the head he should have a little more hp and his clutching is better. drag racing up a hill on snow you could only jab your toe into we where side by side almost every run, once he hooked and I didn't and once I hooked and he didn't. the extreme didn't have any advantage over the PC. but in soft snow my sled stock would outclimb his. The only advantage if any was breaking where there was 3" of fresh on ice the pc packs snow in the lugs and skids easily where the CE would get a tiny bit more traction but not enough to really compare. When there was no new snow I was able to maintain traction on steep hill a lot better than I thought I would.
PC is the best track I've ever rode.

Premium Features