• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Recoil problem

M
Dec 23, 2010
I broke a pull cord a few weeks ago. changing it out I noticed where the cord goes throught the body work the insert had a notch in the bottom and the cord was fraying on it. I hung a small pully in front of the hole and thought I had it. Just broke again. The lower insert in the recoil also had a notch. I managed to rotate it to a smooth spot and it is better but what's the fix for this. The inserts are not listed on parts diagrams. Any help would be great.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
Yes, routing means everything to recoil cord longevity.

How hard was it to change the pull cord? I was looking at mine and it's starting to fray. I was thinking of swapping to the new super duper recoil rope. However, I still have visions of trying to change pull ropes on past sleds and it seemed like I always thought I needed at least three hands to do the job. How bad a job is it on these sleds?

A

arctic2009

Nov 19, 2009
Minnesota
Ive changed the rope on a firecat, essentially the same thing. Had quite a few assemblies taken off the M series. Wasn't too bad to do. Just leave the spring etc. in the recoil housing and wrap the rope between the housing and the white recoil piece, it will save a bunch of a time and swearing instead of trying to put that damn spring back in.

M
Dec 23, 2010
Easy enough to change the rope, just pop the can off and pull the recoil. Don't let the spring get loose. Anyone got any ideas for new inserts or a better way or a super tough rope?

Team Pigeon

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2006
Pass Creek, BC.
Your cord breaks because of two potential problems:

1-the plastic guide bushing attached to your recoil wears out to metal. Like buddy says above, it can be turned. This orange/red bushing is actually threaded in so all you do is unthread the whole thing with a couple rigid picks, add an o-ring and tighten it back on. Your groove should now be in another spot.

2-the metal guide bushing in the console where the pull handle butts up to. I haven't successfully rotated this one BUT I'm going to try it again AFTER a new console shows up at my house. It wears out and literally slashes your rope with every pull.

M
Dec 23, 2010
Sorry guys I should have deleted this. I turned the plastic insert and also managed to spin the metal one on top. She's working like new now. If the top one goes again I'll have a tough one turned and glue it in. Don't see a replacement part for the lower one though.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Mike, thanks for updating this!! I bet 99% of M's out there have the same problem...

I replaced the original rope a week ago, and four rides later it's broke because the upper ring ate it where it was worn through. Didn't seem to bother the OE rope, but the new one turned to a fuzzy caterpillar fast, then broke...

I'll be turning both guides when I replace the starter cord again later today... Hopefully I too can get the metal guide to turn. Should be listed as a maintenance item, turn it 1/8 turn each season...

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
For your viewing pleasure, I made a quick vid of turning the guide in the console for my buddy:

I also put a small O-ring on the guide that screws into the recoil cover. That turned it 180°, so should all be good for another 4000 miles!!

Premium Features