• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rebuilding my primary clutch. Any reason I should not remove the starter ring.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
No Electric Start. Why keep the ring gear on. Or can I remove it.

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
If you do remove the ring gear, it would be wise to have the clutch re-balanced. Sledhead Racing offers this service as well as a lightweight clutch mod, which is similar to the Ski-Doo race clutch for far less $$.

This will not shorten the life of the crankshaft and will allow your motor to rev faster. This is why Ski-Doo made their new clutch lighter than the TRA, among other reasons.

I have my TRA down to 12.5lbs. The same weight as the new P-Drive. .

Last edited:
T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
Ran for years with the ring gear removed with zero issues, but do get the clutch balanced. Also you will be playing with your pin weights an springs being you reduced your load on the motor.

B
Sep 24, 2009
Yakima Wa
If you do remove the ring gear, it would be wise to have the clutch re-balanced. Sledhead Racing offers this service as well as a lightweight clutch mod, which is similar to the Ski-Doo race clutch for far less $$

Is the lightening & balancing done in-house?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
We have a local machine shop do the work. We have been using them for many years.

Usually a 1 day turnaround.

We typically do not cut the backside to match the race clutch like mine but I wanted as light as we could get it. That and my sled is a test mule for lots of "ideas"

And yes, I know my clutching was off. We were trying a different secondary spring and it was a bit too stiff...

clutch 1.jpg clutch 2.jpg

Last edited:

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Don't forget the oil lite bushing in the spring cup, and keep a fresh movable sheave bushing in there every 1k miles or so. Add black secondary spring and the backshift is excellent. I'm very happy with my SHR TRA7. That and the RAVE valve cut makes for a snappy and linear power band. I've gone from thinking the etec was way over hyped to pretty happy with it.

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
The ONLY thing that I have seen with the ring gear removed is that it is more difficult to pull the engine over, especially when cold, because of the less rotating mass. Other than that, all seems just fine and the engine revs quicker which is a nice bonus.

rmk8000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2013
saskatchewan canada
The ONLY thing that I have seen with the ring gear removed is that it is more difficult to pull the engine over, especially when cold, because of the less rotating mass. Other than that, all seems just fine and the engine revs quicker which is a nice bonus.

I think that's all in your head haha. It should be slightly easier if anything but doubt you'd notice it on the end of a rope

Premium Features