• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

rebuild begins

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
I was told to get some crows feet and figure out the new torque.
So, I replaced exhaust gaskets and cylinder head/gaskets and started her up for 5 minutes or so yesterday and today. Was supposed to ride today, that's why I didn't replace everything(didn't think I'd get it all done). Anyways decided to replace pistons and took y pipe off and there's a small pool of oil in each cylinder right where they enter the y pipe. Is this normal?

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I was told to get some crows feet and figure out the new torque.
So, I replaced exhaust gaskets and cylinder head/gaskets and started her up for 5 minutes or so yesterday and today. Was supposed to ride today, that's why I didn't replace everything(didn't think I'd get it all done). Anyways decided to replace pistons and took y pipe off and there's a small pool of oil in each cylinder right where they enter the y pipe. Is this normal?

Yea, that doesn't sound unusual. If your set up is rich it may just be residual un burned fuel and oil.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
cylinders are off, peeling gaskets off cylinder base then pull the pistons.
Pistons pulled, that was a little scary on the first one, but now that I've done it, no big deal. Rebuild and put it back together tonight/tomorrow.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
Well the job is done. Glad I've done it, learned a lot. Gonna play with the carbs/air screw now, seems like the idle and air mixture is off. Getting some backfires and starting isn't as easy as it should be. See what happens tomorrow, I'm beat from today.

slash

Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 22, 2008
IDAHO FALLS 83404
If the reeds are chiped they are junk ,buy a set of boysen reeds they last longer than V force and are cheeper

F
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesota
What jets and what altitude are you running?

How many miles on the clutches, if I missed this info?

Skip the boost bottle, it will run better jetted right without it and be more consistant.

1371G needles in #3
38 pilots

mains 2 sizes leaner than what Polaris recommends for a 2000 700 SKS
for your elevation.

It would be best to run the carb vent lines into nipples placed above their respective carb in the airbox to "feel" the pulse of the motor for a more consistant fuel flow and pressure "felt" in the bowls.

Keep an eye on the intake boots where the oil lines go in, the can start to rip.

C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
I've got my jets set up exactly how you suggested. I was at 9k, probably around 55 - 60 degrees. I had to feather the throttle and then it just took off. But if I was kind of heading uphill I was screwed. I'm more than sure the clutches need some TLC, that's the next step in the learning process I guess.

I'll look into some nipples. Should I fill the empty holes in the air box where the ACCS was with foam? The exhaust line runs into one of the screw holes, I put foam in the big hole where the ACCS was, but the other hole is open.

Also need to play around with the air screws.

I would love to find a bolt in skid from a Pro! Is that an option?

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I would love to find a bolt in skid from a Pro! Is that an option?

I would think you could make it work, you would need to take some measurements off of a pro. From the drive shaft to the front mounting bolt, and from the front bolt to the rear mounting bolt so you can match it on your tunnel.
I would have to say that it would not work as good on your chassis as it does on the pro. But it would be a ton better than the old skid, and a lot cheaper than any other skid. I have seen them in the swap meet but im always a day late.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I have to say I don't agree, The pro skid, while rare is way to far and inbetween for you to even bother with on a Gen 2 chassis. If your going to go to a different skid go to a older HOLZ skid or an edge skid that has been PROVEN to work in your chassis. To my knowledge NO ONE has put a pro skid in an older chassis let alone a Gen 2 chassis.

A pro coil over skid is almost identical to an early HOLZ coil over skid but still no measurements have ever been confirmed.Your going to have to do a lot or work to get it in the sled. Lots of hole drilling and real bracket moving. Even moving in PRO skid into a DRAGON isn't that easy. Dont waste your time on it, go to something you know works.

Last edited:
C
Jan 25, 2011
south lake tahoe
I am hoping to get a VanAmberg tunnel and bulkhead in July, would that make any difference? At this point I'm leaning towards dropping the engine, skid into the new tunnel and then saving for a newer chassis and I'll drop an engine in it or rebuild a blown one. I made the mistake of riding one of the newer ones and have seen the light.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
The pro suspension is much narrower then the gen 2 or edge
Anything is possible though, its just a matter of money and time. Like stated before you could save yourself a lot of time and headache by doing the holz or edge suspension. Or even a crazy mountain extreme skid will work if you can find one.

Premium Features