• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Re-coil a recoil?!?! ?

adventure

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Asking for a friend (a younger, closely related one)… let’s say someone accidentally took apart the recoil from an 850 Patriot and the spring has sprung. Has anyone successfully gotten it back together? Or is it as impossible as it seems and that’s why there’s a separate part # for it complete and assembled? TIA

AD8EF3FB-0301-467E-9566-C92620371FAF.jpeg

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
I have on an older sled, not on anything newer. Maybe on my Dragon 800 once IIRC. It can be done, with a lot of patience and thought about how the assembly works, and if you don't get the spring wound tight enough it won't recoil back in all the way, too tight and it might not come out far enough... but again that was some time ago in older sleds...

adventure

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Disregard - I got it! YouTube for the win. I guess I just had to see it was possible. Sledhed is right, patience (and persistence) is key.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Disregard - I got it! YouTube for the win. I guess I just had to see it was possible. Sledhed is right, patience (and persistence) is key.
Yay! I used to end up redoing them a couple times to get them right, and then there is the starter cord / knot / winding up issue too, a pain but you got it!

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I've been there too, replacing the rope, and POP! I worked it back in and everything was fine; I figured there's no reason newer sleds would be any worse. On something relatively new, just put it back together, but on something older it wouldn't hurt to clean out all the old grease and gunk. Soak the spring in gas to dissolve that stuff, finish off with brake cleaner, and put it back together with fresh grease. Again, probably unnecessary unless it's older or seen a lot of dirt, but I've noticed some older recoils are really sticky or finicky, and that's a good place to start.

Premium Features