• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Raptor TRS set and Carl's Clutch kit review

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
I installed both of these items on my 155" Axys RMK with the 2.6" track and the WE clicker shocks. The TRS set was the standard version. With gear, bags, and gas my ready to ride weight is in the 225 pound range.
The springs made a significant improvement to the ride and handling in the tracked up and crusty snow areas. Prior to installation on the stock springs these conditions meant some "twitchyness", and at times a little "head shake" in the chassis and bars. After installation of the springs, both of these characteristics all but disappeared. I believe the initial soft rate of the springs are responsible for the great improvement in this regard. I set the springs to the suggested lengths and left the clickers in the stock position initially, but, made the rear skid shock firmer by 2 clicks and set the spring 1/2" shorter to reduce bottoming and keep the suspension ride in a little higher on the next day's ride. I think with these springs and the WE clickers you have enough adjustment and versatility to adjust to pretty much any riding style and condition.
The clutch kit also provided for improved performance imo. Stock clutching did not load the motor to the extent it should. 3/4 throttle would spool up to 8400+ rpm and did not seem to pull. Going from 3/4 throttle to wide open did not seem to make a difference and things got a little flat as the sled did not continue to build momentum. After the clutch kit, it was a different story. Wide open bursts would pull up to 8400 hard and as the clutches continued to shift out the rpm would slowly drop to 8250 or 8300, all the while building momentum.
Overall I have a very good impression of both these mods and absolutely think they are worth the price paid.:face-icon-small-coo

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Thanks for the review! What elevation are you at and what does the Carls Clutch kit consist of?:face-icon-small-coo

Carl's Cycle Clutch Kit

This year, we are running the same helix as in the Pro with our custom cut, with EPI belly buster weights for your elevation, and our roller bearing in the secondary that replaces the Delrin washers.

We have stuck with the stock springs, as they work well. The nice part about our dual angle helix is it works well for the stock sleds on the primary angle, and if you put a SLP pipe on it, you just rotate it to the secondary angle.

We are all out of helixes for the season, and will not be placing an order till next fall, but if you are interested in a clutch kit, look us up in the fall and we will get you taken care of!

Daniel @ Carl's Cycle Sales

Premium Features