• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling a inline with a half ton

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have a 7x20 5 ft v nose. In the time I have had it I pulled it with a 14 1/2 Chevy with a 6.2. 5 different HD chevys with Duramax’s and now a 21 2500 Ram with a Cummins. The 1/2 will pull it just fine, but the bigger truck is more stable at speed. If you are comfortable at the 55-65 speed use a 1/2 if you need to travel faster than that buy a HD diesel. I would say the big truck allows 10-15 MPH. If you can’t fit a HD into your life, slow down or put up with the fact that setup will scare years off your life every time you pull any distance.

Last edited:
C
Dec 14, 2020
With that 20 gallon tank are you looking for a gas station as soon as you leave one? ?

I towed 900 miles with my old 3500 getting 6mpg, and I was puckering at my 35 gallon tank. I could still make 200 miles, but there's a lot of 150 mile stretches in Montana and North Dakota.

C
Dec 14, 2020
I have a 7x20 5 ft v nose. In the time I have had it I pulled it with a 14 1/2 Chevy with a 6.2. 5 different HD chevys with Duramax’s and now a 21 2500 Ram with a Cummins. The 1/2 will pull it just fine, but the bigger truck is more stable at speed. If you are comfortable at the 55-65 speed use a 1/2 if you need to travel faster than that buy a HD diesel. I would say the big truck allows 10-15 MPH. If you can’t fit a HD into your life, slow down or put up with the fact that setup will scare years off your life every time you pull any distance.

Agree with this, except the diesel part. I have a 6.0 gas, and a Duramax. Both same trucks, crew cab long bed 3500.

The Duramax eats money for no good reason every single day. I'm probably extra pissed I just replaced a $900 DEF heater that I replaced last year.
It was spend the $900, or get speed limited because the diesel exhaust fluid freezes at about 15*, and if the emissions doesn't work you don't drive.
150k miles and it's needed $4k into the emissions garbage in the last 3 years.

My gasser has 300k miles, and only difference is it's way cheaper to run down the road and it likes rpm on the hills.

Sure, my Duramax gets 16mpg while my 6.0 gets 13mpg, but the oil changes are 1/3 the cost, fuel is $1/gallon cheaper, and it's never been in the shop for emissions failure that put it in limp mode.

Gas also doesn't gel in the winter, and you always have extra gas for the sleds in the trailer in an emergency, right?

C
Dec 14, 2020
Sounds like you need to delete your duramax.

The EPA has been chasing shops. I can't find one that will do it (probably because it has company decals on the side). And I'm not going to gamble on an out of country ebay purchase for a tuner when I'm dealing with a $12k engine that has to haul my ass to the job site.

EPA is finally doing something about the coal rolling asshats, cool. But the shops getting $300k fines and tuners getting million $ fines put a damper on the delete kits.

Diesels still cost me about 80% more to keep on the round. It's gotten insane.

They do have all sorts of power I can't put to the ground all winter though. That's pretty cool....

C
Dec 14, 2020
I was able to get mine done this year and I have been happy with the results so far.

What engine?

L5P has been a great engine when it's running. Only thing that has stopped it is emissions.

But I'm not to excited to have to buy a whole ecm to get it tuned. I'm assuming they have to physically modify it since the only company willing to do it says it's a 6 week turnaround on "tuning" the ECM.
They also won't tune the transmission because they claim it's a 50% shot at working or bricking the TCM.

If it was an lml I would have bought a plug in handled tuner and done it a long time ago.

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
2013 LML. Even with the cold, windy weather we've been having I've averaged 18 MPG and my dad's 16 LML is averaging 12.

Premium Features