• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pulling a inline with a half ton

R
Dec 14, 2013
Looking at buying a inline trailer for 4 mountain sleds verses using my 4 place 22’ trailer. Have a 2020 Ram crew cab long box with 8800 lb. Towing capacity. I might pull this trailer twice a year out to Yellowstone but mainly would be used on flat land in ND. Not in the market for 3/4 pickup right now but maybe in the future. How long of trailer can I pull that will fit 4 sleds, 2 are 153” and 2 are 162”?

I
Dec 21, 2016
Good luck to ya.

Played that game with 4 sleds in a 22’+5’ in-line behind a 2017 Chevrolet 1500 with the heavy tow package and 6.2l engine from Minnesota to West Yellowstone. Trailer loaded evenly with brakes adjusted for load. Plenty of power, and a level truck with trailer & gear. My ass was puckered and my hands were sweaty 1/3 of the way thru the trip until the time we hit the parking lot…and I was in the passenger seat. Cross winds & semi truck suck gave that truck/trailer a very hard time. It was a very uncomfortable trip. Same trailer with similar load on the same route behind a 2500 Ram or 2500 GMC, wayyyyy different comfort level.

There’s more to a pleasant towing experience than power.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
You need at least a 7 wide 20+5 inline, and it will be tight. 22+5 is better. Unless weather and road conditions are near perfect, you'll be under-trucked when you need it, maybe like you are with the 22 4 place - added length is more noticeable in cross-winds, even with lower bed height. Same sphincter clinch. I pull a 20+5 with a 3500HD right now.

R
Dec 14, 2013
I can pull the 22’ open trailer fine going out west. Even though the speed limit in ND is 75 mph I don’t pull it more than 70 maybe a little less if it’s really windy. Just would to keep the sleds cleaner on the way out west and storage in the summer is why I’m looking for an enclosed trailer.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I can pull the 22’ open trailer fine going out west. Even though the speed limit in ND is 75 mph I don’t pull it more than 70 maybe a little less if it’s really windy. Just would to keep the sleds cleaner on the way out west and storage in the summer is why I’m looking for an enclosed trailer.
Apples to oranges.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Got it, no high enclosed 22. Opens are a whole nuther world, I ride with some canyon haulers that still rock the open - and still curse the frozen covers and slop. They do work on the passes and open range, but suck long distance, regardless of truck. Go all aluminum in line, got a hunch there's not many out there right now.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Load range e tires on your truck put as much weight as you can in the box. The trailer down an 1 in or 2 in the front and you will be fine. Pulled lots of miles with an Escalade ext with air suspension . Don’t get into all the hype of needing larger for one or two trips if the wind is howling slow down 10 and rock on.

B
Sep 7, 2011
Crew cab f150 short bed eco boost 29ft trailer 5 snowmobiles fwd backward fwd backward 137’s 144’s in trailer. 1 in the bed 11 hour trip southeast Michigan to/near copper harbor UP a many of times set the cruise 70-75 sway bar set tight with load leveling bars and see ya never any issues. Remember lease truck has no payload lol

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
had a 26’ inline previously. Mainly towed with f350 long bed but there were times i used my f150 crew cab short bed for short trips. It’s was alight but I could feel some sway. put A blueox hitch on it and it was a lot better. Still not substitute for a one ton but it was manageable For sure.

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
I pull a 20+5 with 4 sleds with a Tundra. Have load leveling helper springs and a sway controller. Without the sway controller there was some pucker. After adding has been smooth sailing. I pull 560 miles round trip 3x a year with no issues. Generally go 65-70 mph over 2 mountain passes.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
2018 F150 max tow, 3.5 eco, crew with 6.5' box have pulled my 27' inline to Wyoming from Detroit, Mi 4 times. I have airbags on the truck and that helps a ton. Have been in some real strong winds especially around elk mountain, 50+ mph winds. Little squirrely at times when passing semis, but not crazy. Of course a 3/4 ton or 1 ton would be better but I have no issues whatsoever with this rig. 70 to 80 mph unless the roads suck obviously. Getting everything balanced right and the proper tongue weight is the key.

North Dakota 322

Premium Member
I put a sway control on my 7x23 (18+5) legend the other day. Even with the straight pole hitch it still makes a world of improvement.
Just the cheap $50 one from harbor freight.

Left the farm the other day with it empty and made it 2 miles and stopped to put the sway control on as i had decided against it for a 20 mi round trip, What a world of difference!

What also helps is i got rid of my sloppy adjustable hitch for a normal shank hitch. I slid the receiver in all the way and drilled another hole. The extra 4" closer to the pickup and the loss of slop in the hitch made a world of difference alone.
Thinking about adding a anti rattle device to further tighten the connection.
Thought about hooking directly to the bumper to eliminate all slop and move the connection farther ahead, but it wasn't rated for the load. (and looks trashy)

Another thing that is overlooked is the trailer tires/brakes.
Make sure your brakes are in Great working condition and that your hub seals haven't gone out and filled your drums with grease.
I tried Goodyear endurance tires this year and the stiffness of the sidewall has made a substantial improvement in sway and slightly helped with milage.
Run ALL trailer tires at max inflation pressure regardless of load, You don't ride in the trailer so ride doesnt matter and hardly anyone tows enough to wear out trailer tires before they dry crack.
The overkill weight rating and 87mph speed rating also is a good piece of mind.
Also use a good name brand SYNTHETIC grease and Japanese or USA bearings. (not china)
This all sets you up for trouble free towing.

2017 5.3 1500 CC 5.5 with 10 ply tires a level and rear bags. (bags are not needed but help)

The whole setup is at the max of what I feel is responsible load to take cross country and don't expect to run 80 the whole way but it can be done at 70.
But 80% of the time we will take my buddys 6.7 powerstroke.

265613684_1258465514667958_3158507027815727342_n.jpg

Castforcash

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2016
I also put Goodyear endurance on my trailer. Big difference over the crap tires that came on the trailer!

20200221_100017.jpg

R
Dec 14, 2013
Castforcast, how many sleds can you fit in your trailer? I have Goodyear Endurance tires on my tandem axle boat trailer and they have been good.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Hmmmm...some of y'all are scaring me. I'm currently halvsies with my father in law on our 22+4 Mission deckover trailer (aluminum). So far, I've only towed it with his dreamy F350 longbed. But I'm currently in the market for a truck. On the low end I'm looking at the trail boss 1500 and on the high end I'm looking at the F250 Tremor and considering the Power Wagon in the middle. Some of y'all are making me think I should think twice before getting the Power Wagon and really think 3 times before getting the trail boss half ton.

I'll keep watching this thread to see what folks keep saying as I keep shopping.

R

rmk01r1der

Apr 30, 2008
ND
I took a look at the power wagons too, big down fall is they only have a 31 gallon tank. Wont be skipping any gas stations with a trailer behind one.

I
Dec 21, 2016
I took a look at the power wagons too, big down fall is they only have a 31 gallon tank. Wont be skipping any gas stations with a trailer behind one.
Another big downfall is low payload rating, even for a 2500. Sweet truck, but what makes it great for one thing hurts it for another.

jrscirocco

Lifetime Membership
Jan 11, 2012
Maltby Washington
That's the downside of the Tundra as well. Passes anything but a gas station - the older models like mine only have about 20 gallon capacity and I get 7-8 mpg while towing the enclosed trailer.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Premium Features