• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pull start won't grab, 2019 SP starting issue

R
Dec 19, 2021
UT
Hi all, thanks in advance for any answers! I am experiencing starting issues. When pulling on pull rope it does not catch. Yesterday, after rolling the belt forward/back, it caught and would start. It has SHOT, which worked just fine afterward. Today, same issue, only messing with the belt does nothing to get the pull rope to catch. No resistance at all to pull. Unless I am not seeing it, the pull rope is still connected. I have not taken anything apart though.

Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
The rewind starter is known to be problematic. You'll need a new rewind assembly. In a pinch, you can start with the primary and use SHOT the remainder of the day.

R
Dec 19, 2021
UT
The pull rope doesn't start the engine. It pulls effortlessly and retracts as normal. It's parked, nose pointing downward on a slight hill, if that matters. The last two rides have been short duration, and I have used the SHOT during each of those. It then sat overnight outside.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
The rewind starter is known to be problematic. You'll need a new rewind assembly. In a pinch, you can start with the primary and use SHOT the remainder of the day.

Yep that's correct - I used to have a a lot of issues with them, then I figured out it was from heat effecting the pull starter housing, I even bought a heavy duty one made from aluminum. It cured the issue on my 04 Rev. But my 08 did the same thing as well so so then I always keep a spare rebuilt one in the trailer.

I got tired of rebuilding them and dove deeper into the issue. I figured out that it was the heat from the exhaust, so I starting using Automotive thermal insulation (This stuff is about a 1/8" thick with self adhesive) cut just a little larger than the pull starter housing. Haven't had a pull start issue since I started doing that.

I do this on all my sleds first thing when I get them from the dealer, no mater what exhaust can I am running ( yes even stock can ) I always have at least one package of it in the shop. I also put it on anyone's sled that is in the shop for clutch upgrade, suspension, can or cooling vents as part of the reliability service.

I will take a photo of what I use and post it. :unsure: if I remember correctly I bought it from Advance Auto Parts

Something Like This Thermo-Tec 13575 Adhesive Backed Aluminized Heat Barrier, 12" x 24"

R
Dec 19, 2021
UT
Thanks for the replies! You guys nailed it with the rewind mechanism (per the dealer). Sorry for misunderstanding you MNBlizzard. I'm new to the sport. I used the emergency rope and got it to the trailer. Thanks again!

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I put heat reflective tape all over the cover this time.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Here is a photo of the stuff I use + what I put it on (y) I put another layer of it on the Shot Start, Exhaust Probe Wiring & Side of Side Panel after this photo with the same stuff but it I got it in a 2" wide roll.

Heat Sheild.pngheat sheild - tape.jpg

Last edited:
D
Jan 15, 2013
Southwest Montana
Just went through the same thing.

Ratcheting Recoil - 2019 Summit 600R

Premium Features