• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pro 155 or Khaos 165

K
Oct 7, 2018
Hi All,

I currently ride a 2017 Axys 163 800 with the react 36” front end. I am looking to upgrade to a Matryx platform and am wanting something a little more “playful”. I live/ride in Colorado and ride trees/steep terrain mostly. In the pro 155, I am somewhat worried about floatation because I am used to the 163 track. With the khaos, I am worried that it will be too “touchy” and leave less room for error. I am not looking to do wheelies or re-entry. Just want something more playful/all-around. Thanks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My bet is 155 matryx 850 will do better than your 17 in deep snow. Either are more playful due to the tunnel and short flap. Kaos is not out of hand in matryx chassis in 155. Axys they are. Kaos 165 just feels like easier riding axys with lighter steering.

K
Oct 7, 2018
Thanks @turboless terry. The group I ride with has 163/165 Axys 850 Pro’s. Didn’t want to hold up the group if I went down to a 155. Currently keeping up/leading with my sled. Another question I had, does height/weight factor in to the equation at all? I’m 5’7” 180lbs fully geared. Thanks

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I have been on axys 174’s for the last 6 years. I have always bought the longest track available. About a month ago I bought a matryx pro 155 2.75. My plan was to install a 175 track and kmod suspension I have in my 20. I have rode the 155 the last few weeks and love it so far. Gets around amazingly well.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
There is a misconception/fleeting hope that going to a Khaos model will make a 165 feel like a 155. Doesn't work like that. A 165 will never pick up the front end like a 155, and a 155 will never climb as well or be as predictable on a side hill as a 165. That said, the new sleds are so capable that a 155 goes where a 165 did a few years ago. So if you were a long track guy who wanted to try a 155....now is probably the time.

I've traditionally always ridden 16x track lengths since the 2011 Pro came out. This year I'm on a Boost 155" Pro. Even in the Boost with a bunch of preload in the FTS....excessive wheeling is not a problem, and the ski pressure/steering effort is still a bit much for me. Have a Khaos limiter strap going in to it and the shock spacer coming out....think that will make for a really nice ride.

If you want a lighter feeling sled with more adjustment, just go Khaos regardless of track length and/or engine choice. Like TT said, there's nothing out of control about a Khaos in factory Matryx form. If you found were having issues with ski lift, throw a Pro limiter strap in it for basically no cost and away you go.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I always say 200 pound guy is the breaking point from short track to long track.
I'm right at 200 lbs so I could go either way. Doos I definitely go 165", still playful, and their 154" are too much of a wheelie machine for me.

My last Polaris was a 155" Axys Pro, and it was about perfect except for the really deep days. I was thinking of stretching it to a 163" but converting to Khaos geometry to keep it fairly playful, but gain some flotation.

I tried out a 155" Khaos 9r a few weeks ago, my first time on a Matryx. The Khaos was not out of control or trying to wheelie everywhere, it was very manageable. It pops up on the snow and floats better than the Axys in the same length, even comparing a Pro Axys to a Khaos Matryx. Riding that sled convinced me to go 155" for next year, just not sure on Pro or Khaos now

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I love my 165 Khaos and will say it is very sensitive to front skid shock spring adjustments. It can go from planted to out of control with just a few turns of spring tension. Even changing the low speed dampening has it riding higher or lower in the stroke and you can feel the change. This sled is mild to wild with easy adjustment. If you are a guy who has no clue about suspension or too lazy to tinker, don't buy the Khaos, otherwise it will do it all.

Last edited:

wonderxc600

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
MN
What if you do the full khaos kit. Rails, strap and front shock. Plus ice age spindles. How much whould that help get the front up a little more? I did all that minus the spindles on my 18 163 and I felt that it made a big difference, but I also had aftermarket shocks. Which I feel and felt made a difference as well. I run a 155 pro know and love it, but I'm riding in Montana any idaho in the trees

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
At that point it just is a Khaos with only 1 compression adjustment…of course it’ll feel like 1. If buying a new sled, why wouldn’t you just buy the one coming that way from factory tho?

Another thought for guys not finding the 165 tracks fun enough…will ice age or someone make a set of rails that tip up at the back like sleds did in years past? That was actually a pretty cool option.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
At that point it just is a Khaos with only 1 compression adjustment…of course it’ll feel like 1. If buying a new sled, why wouldn’t you just buy the one coming that way from factory tho?

Another thought for guys not finding the 165 tracks fun enough…will ice age or someone make a set of rails that tip up at the back like sleds did in years past? That was actually a pretty cool option.
Yes, and why doesn't anyone make a kit that has new hyfax that is 1/2 thicker at the front and taper standard thickness at the back? Could upsize the front idler wheels to match. You heard it here, first.

Last edited:
Premium Features