• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Primary Clutching Question

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
So I can do most things if not all mods to my sled myself but I am clueless on the clutching.:eek: I am changing the spring and weights in the primary of an 07 Dragon. Can I just take off the primary change the weights and spring and ride again? Or is there more to it than that? All info would be great

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I assume you are adjusting for altitude or something. To answer your question, yes. Just slap everything back together with the new parts and give er heck.

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
Yep, changing everything for my elevation. So I dont need to reshim or anything? Just want as much info before I pull her apart

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
Don't need to take the primary off, just take off the primary cover (six bolts) to replace spring and weights. Be sure to align the "X"s when putting clutch cover back on.

Ok, so now I'm lost:confused: I pulled all six bolts out and now there is not enough room between the primary and the plastic side panel. I'm so close to getting it off but it just won't work. I'm I doing this wrong......apparently! Please let me know if there is a secret:face-icon-small-con

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i think it takes a little elbow grease to force it out also if you acn get the plastic warm (inside or a heater near it it will give alot more) good luck :)

X

XC700116

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 2, 2007
Milliken, CO
If you have a puller, pull the clutch. Check belt to sheave clearance. (should be about .020") depending on the profile or your new weights you may have to shim. for example if using 11 series polaris weights vs 10 series weights or aftermarket weights vs the stock ones. If your using 11 series before and 11 after or 10 before and 10 after then no shimming should be needed. All these things seem negligable but if your looking to have it just right then you can't overlook it. BTW I've seen clutches fresh from the factory that need to be re-shimmed.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
use the clutch bolt

I use a big washer on the clutch bolt to hold the cover in place so I can get the six small bolts out of the cover. Then you can take out the clutch bolt and the cover will come right out. Then just start the clutch bolt with the big washer on it to hold the cover in place while you get the small bolts started and tighten them all down evenly. take the washer off and retorque the clutch bolt.

Premium Features