• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Powder Bog Fixes???

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
HI everyone, I recently bought an 04 MC 900 1m, and found out quickly that our Utah deep powder likes to make this thing bog down when on the right side. I currently have a stock exhaust and intake. I have been reading on the forum for solutions and i see there are some possible options i wanna know what works best for you? is jetting the solution or a new can with the front dump or both? Does anyone have a front dump exhaust they would like to part with? I love this sled other than the bog and would love to solve this issue...? Thanks for the help!

Matt

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Front dump can't won't fix it. (might be only slightly better but not a lot)

Your best bet is get the jetting correct.

The second thing is from riding the sled you will KNOW when it is going to bog. So learn to ride around those spots.

Example, you going downhill, you need to make a turn at the bottom of a hill in 2' of fresh. You know from your experiance the sled will bog when you stuff the right side in the snow. But you also know it will pull hard if you have it wound up before you stuff it. So you learn to get the R's up before this situation develops.

I rode my 03 900 for over 6000 miles. I learned to deal with it.

Sorry but that is the way it its.

Thunder

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
I put a front dump on mine then made a little shield in front of that. Taped over the air intake by the chain case and added a half dozen bulls eyes to the back of the air box. Jetted lean and no bog.

D
Aug 17, 2011
I had the same problem. I put a Jaws front dump (loud as h*ll), an exhaust shield and deflector. Since then, I haven’t had an issue. In 2006, Arctic Cat made the KK with a stock front dump. You can buy the deflector and shield for it. Part number 1612-906 & 1712-253.

A
Mar 11, 2007
Onoway Alberta
Mine had a slight bog when turned to the right. I made a plastic cover and installed it on the right front air intake vent. Then I sealed the stock bellypan outlet for the exhaust pipe with enough silicone to keep the Titanic afloat. This solved my bogging completely. I can now sidehill or do rightside doughnuts until I get tired. I think I will plug the left front intake vent to keep belt dust out of the intake.

J
Dec 17, 2012
Im having the same problem with my 04 900 EFI. I have a fuel controller for the stinger and v force 3s in it. I leaned the sled out as far as I felt comfortable with and it still bogs in the powder I get here. Wish I had an EGT then I could go by temperature. Can anyone tell me what a good running temp would be with a EGT?
DO I EVEN NEED THE FUEL CONTROLLER?

C
Nov 27, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
In my opinion, proper jetting is a given. And I have never had a problem using Cats jetting chart when stock or SLP's when running a single pipe. Also, make sure the oil injection is set correctly. Many of these sled, especially the '04s came with oil oil injection set too high.

As for temps: I had an '03 with SLP single, V-Force and porting and it loved to run hot. It would actually pick up R's when it hit 1300 degrees. But remember, the temp is all relative to where the probe is, so it is tough to know what the correct temp is. Lets just say my plugs were usually running pretty close to white. :)

My current '03 only has SLP single and V-Force and runs perfect, no bog. The key is getting cold air to the engine and not suck too much of the warm underhood air. Venting helps this a bunch, look at the pics of my sled and you will see side vents and shock tower vents and there are vents that you can't see. Clean, cool air is KEY!!

FYI, the '03 does have a much better deflector on the exhaust exit than the newer years.

Last edited:
E
Dec 17, 2012
Drill holes in the airbox, side intake takes in to much snow an motor starves for air, fixed bog;) dnt drill on the clutch side.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

T
Apr 20, 2009
Washington
I have been slowly getting rid of the right side bog with small fixes. First put tape over the air intake on the exhaust side of the engine compartment. Opposite side of the right footwell. Then took high temp silicone (red) and sealed the holes around the end of the exhaust where it drops out the bottom. The silicone helps prevent hot exhaust from being pushed up when you lay it on the right. Also keep the air intakes at your feet as clear of snow/ice as possible. When I'm riding deep I may brush these off every time I stop to rest. SLP makes a frogskin that has an elastic band that is made for these vent intakes. Put the skins over the vents which keeps them from being blocked with snow. If you drill holes into your air box make sure you put a filter on the holes. Otherwise you will be replacing your motor from belt dust and debris getting sucked in. Good luck

Premium Features