• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Poll: Work bonuses and safety incentives. What do you do?

What do you do when you recieve a bonus from work?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Well you got my opinion. Mine is hers, hers is mine. Sorry you didn't have much of a role model, but it looks like you did learn one thing from your dad. It is mine I'll do what I want. I will be done now cause it is looking more and more like you are looking for people to agree with you and I will not. I truly hope the courts don't make the decision for you. They include bonuses in their decisions.

WRONG!! What is hers, is hers. Other than arguing over $$ we pretty much are ok. I'm not getting testy with you because you don't feel the same way I do. But I most certainly am not going to whine on you because of it.

I have no problem with your way of life, but if I did it that way, why the hell have a sled, or an ATV, or bikes for me and my boys.

You totally looked over the statement that I include and teach my boys sledding, biking and hunting. I also don't blow off soccer and hockey games to go sledding. I also volunteer at the rink to make/repair the ice and run the zamboni. I don't coach and I won't. I tried to include my wife and she declined the bikes and sleds thing. She does go ATVing and camping with us and she has hunted with me for a couple seasons. So, being selfish, no I don't think so. And I have stated more than once that bonuses don't always get spent on just myself only. I spend it on my kids, my house, the cars and my hobbies. I just want the say as to where my bonus goes. Not much to ask right there. I'm smart enough to know what the responsible thing is. If I cannot afford to be irrespnsible with it, I'm not.

There was a time when income was minimal (laid off) and I ended up selling off a couple sleds and spare items. So me being a selfish and self centered individual (like you imply) is way off base.

But thank you for the opinion, I'm not disregarding it at all.

hilpulr

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Corvallis MT
Bonus

I also get trimester bonuses - sometimes good ones and sometimes nothing. My wife does the money at our house but she always asks if I want something with the bonus first before she pays bills with it. She is the spender and I am the tightwad in our family. We also have 2 children and they always come 1st.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Savings only. If you can't afford your fun stuff through your regular budgeting, then you really can't afford it at all..

I totally disagree with that. I have always used the extra money coming in to pay the extra going out. The regular mainstream income pays the bills, savings, retirement and kids savings.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
I just want the say as to where my bonus goes. Not much to ask right there.

I guess the easiest thing is to talk with your wife where you think the money should go...

wife says.. (Who is the BIG spender..). If you still have house, cars, and other debt, than that is where the bonus should go. If you still have debt then there shouldn't be any conversations about who gets the money, it should be the banks money. After that you both should decide where the bonuses and extra money (that you won't be sending to the bank anymore) should be spent.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Still disagree. A bonus is not gonna pay off the house or cars, meaning I'd still have to make the same monthly payment I always make and be out my bonus. Now I have no issues paying off a $500 balance on a cc, but my cc is paid off.

If you can afford to go spend $5k on a turbo or 1000 on new gear, without a bonus that's awesome for you, you either make a buttload of money or don't have much for bills. But some, including me look forward to getting the bonus because it means I can get something that I want that I'd normally have to save a while to purchase, without having to take a bite out of the checking account or savings account. I can still make the payments on bills that I need, still put money away for savings and kids without worrying. My bonus is exactly that, a bonus and I see no harm in using it to buy stuff (for me, the wife or the kids) that normally doesn't get purchased.

We want new countertops in the kitchen. We can't just drop $3000 to the granite guy tomorrow to get them. But I can when I get my bonus. And that is what I plan on doing. And contrary to what a previous member said, I don't think that is being greedy and selfish.

I appreciate the feedback from all of you. I wasn't trying to justify me using it soley for my wants. I just wanted to see what others thought about me being the deciding factor as to where/what it pays for.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
Still disagree. A bonus is not gonna pay off the house or cars, meaning I'd still have to make the same monthly payment I always make and be out my bonus. Now I have no issues paying off a $500 balance on a cc, but my cc is paid off.

If you can afford to go spend $5k on a turbo or 1000 on new gear, without a bonus that's awesome for you, you either make a buttload of money or don't have much for bills. But some, including me look forward to getting the bonus because it means I can get something that I want that I'd normally have to save a while to purchase, without having to take a bite out of the checking account or savings account. I can still make the payments on bills that I need, still put money away for savings and kids without worrying. My bonus is exactly that, a bonus and I see no harm in using it to buy stuff (for me, the wife or the kids) that normally doesn't get purchased.

We want new countertops in the kitchen. We can't just drop $3000 to the granite guy tomorrow to get them. But I can when I get my bonus. And that is what I plan on doing. And contrary to what a previous member said, I don't think that is being greedy and selfish.

I appreciate the feedback from all of you. I wasn't trying to justify me using it soley for my wants. I just wanted to see what others thought about me being the deciding factor as to where/what it pays for.

3K for granite is is cheap, my wife spent 12K :bolt:

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
OK i said I was done but here is some more. I keep reading I want, I want. There is a big differance between wants and needs. Ruffy hit the nail on the head when he said pay it to the bank. We took every extra dime we had early in our marriage to pay things off. When starting out in life outgo always seems to be more than income. We had a baby no ins. Big time expenses due to some complications Took 10 years to pay that debt off but we paid every penny hospital was willing to write some down but we said no way.. College paid for by us. No help except for 1 500$ scholarship and nothing from parents. ( Not expected either). Built a house drove used cars. Bought a 86 Dodge pickup in 88 that replaced a 64 pickup, the first new car we bought was in 92 and it replaced a 15 year old car. Yes we made payments on both but paid both off early. Paid the house off in 16 years. We were completely debt free when I was 38 and wife 36. We owed nothing to no one and still do not to this day. Ya know what. We want new granite counter tops for our house also, to replace the 25 year old Formica ones we have now. Guess what we are pondering? Do we really NEED them. This is a I want country today and that is sad. That could be one of the big reasons we are where we are. Now I am done and will not say anymore.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
OK i said I was done but here is some more. I keep reading I want, I want. There is a big differance between wants and needs. Ruffy hit the nail on the head when he said pay it to the bank. We took every extra dime we had early in our marriage to pay things off. When starting out in life outgo always seems to be more than income. We had a baby no ins. Big time expenses due to some complications Took 10 years to pay that debt off but we paid every penny hospital was willing to write some down but we said no way.. College paid for by us. No help except for 1 500$ scholarship and nothing from parents. ( Not expected either). Built a house drove used cars. Bought a 86 Dodge pickup in 88 that replaced a 64 pickup, the first new car we bought was in 92 and it replaced a 15 year old car. Yes we made payments on both but paid both off early. Paid the house off in 16 years. We were completely debt free when I was 38 and wife 36. We owed nothing to no one and still do not to this day. Ya know what. We want new granite counter tops for our house also, to replace the 25 year old Formica ones we have now. Guess what we are pondering? Do we really NEED them. This is a I want country today and that is sad. That could be one of the big reasons we are where we are. Now I am done and will not say anymore.

Do you have health insurance now? If you do, do you call the hostipal/Dr to pay the difference between what the insurance negoiated down to and what the Dr/hostipal wanted???

So I guess you wouldn't approve of my shower :face-icon-small-ton

IMG_4405.jpg

Last edited:

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com
After reading through this I would have to say that your bonus should be yours to spend as you like. Maybe I missed this but what does your wife think should be done with it?

Your credit card is paid off, you have no debt but car and house. And I know that it still is debt but here is how I look at it. We also just have a car and house payment. We could spend our foreseeable future doing nothing but paying off our place (which is nothing fancy, a house, a bit of land for the ponies, don't even have a garage yet but even with a good chunk of money down it was a lot of money.) I could work two jobs, my huband could put in more overtime then he already does. But do we really want to spend the rest of our 20's and 30's doing just that? What about enjoying life? So you have to make the decision as to balancing what is important to you.

The car payment is to build credit (which having paid cash for everything up till now we don't have a lot of.)

We have a joint account and it is our money even though he makes a lot more then I do. But this isn't a perfect world and if that was causing issues between us I would have separate accounts.

I get a yearly bonus in the summer, it's not a lot but I like to buy the horse's hay with it and then something fun for hunting or sledding. Sometimes just having a little bit of money that isn't for the general fund is refreshing.

Maybe if the separate accounts thing won't work, having a bit of spending money set aside for both of you would help things. Even something as small a $20 a month, you can save or spend as you like with no impute from your other half.

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
having a bit of spending money set aside for both of you would help things. Even something as small a $20 a month, you can save or spend as you like with no impute from your other half.
That is what the wife and I do and we both think it works great.

BTW, we use mint.com for all of our budgeting. It works great allowing us to see where our money is going and how much we are spending. We talk at the beginning of the month what we are expecting as to bills and what not, and then try to budget as best we can. It works out great getting control of your own money..

Last edited:

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado

No offense, but I just noticed that you are an older fellow. And here's a few things, that IMO I think you contradict yourself with. You have been saying NEED NEED NEED. Do you NEED a sled? I see that you are riding what looks to be an 07 REV. You need that? I mean if you are driving 15-20 year old cars, why aren't you riding a 1994 Summit?

I'd also be willing to bet that when you and your wife built your house, Square footage wasn't at the inflated price it is today. Most certainly cars were thousands cheaper. The first new truck I ever bought was the one I drive now. And I bought it because at the time it was economical (for a truck) because diesel was way cheaper than gas. Well ,that plan backfired a year later but I am not ditching the truck now.

You said no when the hospital offered to write some off? You aren't the sharpest crayon in the box are you? My son was born premature, ins paid 90% leaving us with roughly 15000 to pay. F*ck yeah, I negotiated for months with them to whittle it down to a grand. I have friends in medical and they helped me go through every single bill. They told me where the Hosp was making well over 300% profit, where the Hosp broke even and where they just made profit. They showed me what to look for to in order to make the Hosp re-submit to ins. I have learned and negotiated the hospitals where I had my back surgery, where my wife re-couped from dual strokes, where they billed me 800 for super gluing my kids cut eye. Last year I even pushed one hosp so hard they ended up owing me money. How do you like them apples?

As for home improvements, thats an investment. Not an extravagent luxery. The cheapazz formica counter tops look like As$ and when I was trying to sell, potential buyers jewed the price down. So I took the house off the market. I do all of my work myself so I don't pay inflated contractor costs, takes me longer as I learn as I go. But I'll take my granite over the sh*t that's on there now with it's flaking and chipping. I'll take my new carpet, ceramic tile and wood floors over your shag carpet anyday. I want a nice, beautiful home. It's where I live, it's where my kids live and I plan on living in it a loooooong time. So yeah, it's gonna look nice, really nice by the time I am done. Not re-doing the floors till my kids are older and stop spilling crap everywhere. The wife wants a blue stain pine bed. Wow!! really pricey. But I can build one almost identical to the picture she gave me for just a fraction of the cost of retail. You seem to want to stereo type me? Go ahead, I'll come right back at you.

You obviously are a very simple man and there is nothing wrong with that. But, I am complicated by nature. Am I gonna go out and get a loan for a hometheater? nope. Wait, I bought one with a bonus and my family loves it. And I bought a hottub with a bonus, landscaped my property with a bonus, lifted my truck with a bonus, built a redwood deck with a bonus, put tires on the cars with bonuses. I could go on forever but I think my point is made. I take them, I choose to spend them how I see fit and more often than not I'm not buying something soley for my use, but my family's.

We live once son. Just once. And I am not going to sit and waste my entire younger years slaving away shoving every nickel and dime into a bill or a savings account. I have those taken care of through my 401k, ECAP whatever before I get my paycheck. As does my wife. Sure, collectively we lost 25k last year but we will get it back when the market rebounds, and it will. So, I have gotten the answers that I wanted to get. I will talk to my wife and I will show her that I don't always blow the entire bonus on myself. I will prove to her that it's not a selfish thing. I don't think she realizes that if I hadn't been getting bonuses, we wouldn't have any of the things that we enjoy as a family. But since I earn it, I want the say. Simple.

So, on that note. Have a Happy New Year and quite being an old cheapskate codger and get the new countertops for your wife. She'll love them and when the wifey is happy, you will be happy, get it? :heart: And when you fart, dogs won't go deaf.

togwotee9

The Baconator
Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2008
Council Bluffs, IA
No offense, but I just noticed that you are an older fellow. And here's a few things, that IMO I think you contradict yourself with. You have been saying NEED NEED NEED. Do you NEED a sled? I see that you are riding what looks to be an 07 REV. You need that? I mean if you are driving 15-20 year old cars, why aren't you riding a 1994 Summit?

I'd also be willing to bet that when you and your wife built your house, Square footage wasn't at the inflated price it is today. Most certainly cars were thousands cheaper. The first new truck I ever bought was the one I drive now. And I bought it because at the time it was economical (for a truck) because diesel was way cheaper than gas. Well ,that plan backfired a year later but I am not ditching the truck now.

You said no when the hospital offered to write some off? You aren't the sharpest crayon in the box are you? My son was born premature, ins paid 90% leaving us with roughly 15000 to pay. F*ck yeah, I negotiated for months with them to whittle it down to a grand. I have friends in medical and they helped me go through every single bill. They told me where the Hosp was making well over 300% profit, where the Hosp broke even and where they just made profit. They showed me what to look for to in order to make the Hosp re-submit to ins. I have learned and negotiated the hospitals where I had my back surgery, where my wife re-couped from dual strokes, where they billed me 800 for super gluing my kids cut eye. Last year I even pushed one hosp so hard they ended up owing me money. How do you like them apples?

As for home improvements, thats an investment. Not an extravagent luxery. The cheapazz formica counter tops look like As$ and when I was trying to sell, potential buyers jewed the price down. So I took the house off the market. I do all of my work myself so I don't pay inflated contractor costs, takes me longer as I learn as I go. But I'll take my granite over the sh*t that's on there now with it's flaking and chipping. I'll take my new carpet, ceramic tile and wood floors over your shag carpet anyday. I want a nice, beautiful home. It's where I live, it's where my kids live and I plan on living in it a loooooong time. So yeah, it's gonna look nice, really nice by the time I am done. Not re-doing the floors till my kids are older and stop spilling crap everywhere. The wife wants a blue stain pine bed. Wow!! really pricey. But I can build one almost identical to the picture she gave me for just a fraction of the cost of retail. You seem to want to stereo type me? Go ahead, I'll come right back at you.

You obviously are a very simple man and there is nothing wrong with that. But, I am complicated by nature. Am I gonna go out and get a loan for a hometheater? nope. Wait, I bought one with a bonus and my family loves it. And I bought a hottub with a bonus, landscaped my property with a bonus, lifted my truck with a bonus, built a redwood deck with a bonus, put tires on the cars with bonuses. I could go on forever but I think my point is made. I take them, I choose to spend them how I see fit and more often than not I'm not buying something soley for my use, but my family's.

We live once son. Just once. And I am not going to sit and waste my entire younger years slaving away shoving every nickel and dime into a bill or a savings account. I have those taken care of through my 401k, ECAP whatever before I get my paycheck. As does my wife. Sure, collectively we lost 25k last year but we will get it back when the market rebounds, and it will. So, I have gotten the answers that I wanted to get. I will talk to my wife and I will show her that I don't always blow the entire bonus on myself. I will prove to her that it's not a selfish thing. I don't think she realizes that if I hadn't been getting bonuses, we wouldn't have any of the things that we enjoy as a family. But since I earn it, I want the say. Simple.

So, on that note. Have a Happy New Year and quite being an old cheapskate codger and get the new countertops for your wife. She'll love them and when the wifey is happy, you will be happy, get it? :heart: And when you fart, dogs won't go deaf.

For once in my life I think I wholeheartedly agree with PJ

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Do you have health insurance now? If you do, do you call the hostipal/Dr to pay the difference between what the insurance negoiated down to and what the Dr/hostipal wanted???

So I guess you wouldn't approve of my shower :face-icon-small-ton

IMG_4405.jpg

that shower looks so delicious :face-icon-small-sho a guy could really enjoy something like that!

Premium Features