• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Pictures of Great White Shark Cage Diving Isla Guadalupe - October 2011

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Note to self: Before going in cage, develop a diaper for my wetsuit that soaks up human feces but not water......

S
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Shaw, Montana
Here's a classic example, why I'd think twice about chilling with great whites from a cage.:face-icon-small-sho Watch video.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w75Pxphb-ss

I watched the same video. If you watch it, the shark's eyes are closed when he hits the fish head. And yes, they are aluminum cages. A great white with determination probably could tear it apart.

My experience so far is that they were more curious then interested in eating me. Even when i sat on top of our submersible cage, I felt very comfortable. That 18' female was within 5-6 feet of me at that time. And I had 5 great whites around me when i was in the submersible cage. Definitely went from me observing them at the top and them observing me at 40 feet. Although they were not aggressive. More curious... Sadly, they do not have hands to feel up what they are curious about, they bump it with their nose or bite it...

There is a group of about 20 free divers from around the world that go there. They are there this week, free diving. That would be a wild experience... To bad I am a fat kid and cannot hold my breath for 5 minutes, otherwise i would want to go.

The Mexican fisherman that live on this island dive it year around. They harvest sea cucumbers and abalone. They never have had a problem. But they are on the bottom and dive in teams.

They are defiantly a predator of opportunity. I think i put some shots of that big male when the mud line off the shore came out. He was just there, out of nowhere. But many are right. If one decided to get you, you would not have a chance nor ever know it...

Regardless, this was one of the funniest trips I have ever went on. Definitely amazing. No longer stereotyping the great white with Jaws like the media does.

Now to prepare for the next trip. Tiger Bay, Bahamas’. Get to put on a suit of chainmail and hand feed tiger sharks!

Skogen

Premium Features