• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Phazer and Nytro rebuilds

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I decided to update my Nytro and the wife phazer this fall. Late last spring I got a turbo for the phazer and installed it quickly without the head shim, I decided to go back and install the headshim and powdercoat some of the phazer parts too. My wife and I moved from Alaska to Colorado this summer so this is the first chance I have had to tear the sleds down since early summer. I found a great powdercoating company right in the small town we live in, they have never done any sled parts, they said they mainly get off road parts and rock crawler parts,, they can powdercoat an entire rockcrawler chassis, so sled tunnels were no problem. I also installed my CR tunnel early last summer, so I had to tear that back off. I am updating my Impulse kit to Pauls new standalone system. I had to tear the Nytro down any way so I might as well powdercoat everything on that too. I will update this as I go.

The Nytro before tearing down
DSC_0362.jpg

Tearing down the Phazer
DSC_0363.jpg

Installing the phazer headshim
DSC_0505.jpg

Getting some powdercoated parts back, I also installed the 2500 nm springs in the phazer to stiffen up the suspension. The hifax were a real PITA to get back on over the powdercoating.
DSC_0507.jpg

The phazers lower a-arms ball joints are shot after two seasons, I have to order some new ones, can't finish the front end until I get them. The garage is a mess right now but I am out of room right now in a two car garage.
DSC_0509.jpg

Cr tunnel back from powder coating
DSC_0512-1.jpg

All my other nytro parts are at the powdercoater right now, the bumpers, tunnel plates, gas, rack, rails, and etc will all be orange, the rest of the sled black. the phazer will be all black will berry colored rails, a arms, bumpers, etc. I also installed all new bearings on the Nytro drive shaft and chaincase chain after 2000 plus miles.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
I did not update this as I had planned, but here is the rest of the pics of my builds.

Here is the wifes phazer almost done

DSC_0005.jpg

I put in the bigger headshim to run higher boost for the new Impulse standalone system. I also ground out the intake cam gear a little more than I already had.
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

After my sled was together I took it to the Impulse shop for the weekend, where I installed the new wire harness and Ecu. I also made a few other changes and adjustments per Pauls recomendations. Paul hooked me up with some black Hifax and m-10 parts he had laying around and was not going to use anymore. Paul has a better inventory than any dealer shop I have ever seen, he has shelves and shelves with every nut, bolt and part you could ever need for Yamaha sleds. We took my sled to guardsmans pass to do some road testing on a couple inches of snow, everything ran great, Paul took my sled for a rip and all he could say is this thing is fast! With the 2860 turbo the sled gets up on step fast, of course it wont have the top end speed of the big boost sleds, but it gets up to speed quick.

DSC_0262.jpg

My wife and I found more snow in wolf creek Colorado, this weekend we took both sleds to do a tune and check ride, and it was good cause we had a couple minor issues with the phazer, after that all was good and the phazer ran great, as the Nytro did also.

DSC_0263.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0322.jpg

The Nytro is great with no fuel tuning at all, with the new standalone system. It was woth the work replacing the headshim.

DSC_0295.jpg

This phazer is really fun with Boost, my only gripe is the extreme lag of the rear mount. I could have ditched the headshim and improve throttle reponse, but that would defeat my whole goal of only running pump gas on both sleds.

DSC_0534.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

All and all both sleds ran great, I am going to wait for more snow to go riding though, in that last pic, I nailed a tree stump with the track of my nytro, everthing is ok, I went riding early 2 years ago and ended up replacing my entire front end on my nytro so I am going to wait for more snow.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
If your running at high altittude on the phazer guys were not running the headshim , and 92 with no problems. Check with high altitude boost.

A

Ak nitro

Dec 1, 2007
Cortez Colorado
If your running at high altittude on the phazer guys were not running the headshim , and 92 with no problems. Check with high altitude boost.

Yeah I have read of people doing that, and I asked in another thread on here about that, and somebody that had installed several phazer kits for high elevation stated that they are removing the shim to improve lower end performance. I had originally installed the kit without the shim for that purpose, but I thought about it for awhile and decided to just install the shim anyway. I want to be able to go to any elevation and ride without worrying about deto. I do not want to carry any race fuel this year, I want both sleds pump gas at all elevations, so I guess I will deal with the phazer lag. I am thinking of changing the kit some, we have been trying to get Paul from Impulse to build a short little header and use a nytro fuel tank or fab up a fuel tank for the phazer, I think the lag issues would be solved head shim or not. He said he would, it is just finding the time, he is really busy right now, maybe later in the year or next summer. I also think a new header would solve some of the phazer turbo fire issues I have read about, a lot of people have had the stock flex joints crack and the heat has melted the tank causing a fire. With a short header, tunnel dump exhaust, and aluminum gas tank, I do not think fire would be an issue on the phazer any more.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
syenergy use to make a front mount kit for the phazer with a aluminum tank.

One thing to help the lag issue is to keep the clutch engagement high around 6500 it helps. McX makes some heavy duty flex joints if you end up needing some.

Both your sleds look great.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
Love your sleds!

I'd love the Phazer with 150 H.p. and very little Lag....this would be a 2 stroke killer and so much fun. Your sleds are awesome man ...some day I dream of boost...LOL. Does anyone know with no head shim on the Phazer can you run at sea level up to 5000 ft. on Av Gas? ( 100 low lead )
How about one of those cast iron Headers from Northwest Turbo's....wonder if they'd design a kit for the Phazer....hmmmm. Now I want one....man what a ride that would be. Nice sleds!

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I'd love the Phazer with 150 H.p. and very little Lag....this would be a 2 stroke killer and so much fun. Your sleds are awesome man ...some day I dream of boost...LOL. Does anyone know with no head shim on the Phazer can you run at sea level up to 5000 ft. on Av Gas? ( 100 low lead )
How about one of those cast iron Headers from Northwest Turbo's....wonder if they'd design a kit for the Phazer....hmmmm. Now I want one....man what a ride that would be. Nice sleds!

Yes there is a guy on ty4stoke running no shim, av gas, 10lbs of boost at lower elevations 2000 feet.

Premium Features