• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PC or extreme...both 15 wide NA Apex...which one?

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
I'm trying to decide which track to go with PowerClaw or Extreme and want to go 15 wide for the ease of carving/maneuverability etc. , my delima is go extreme 174x15 or keep it 162? I like the idea of a larger foot print with a 174but don't want an even clumbsier sled in tighter area's....your thoughts?
Next question, If I go with a PC would it create more track speed because it turns easier and is a lighter track?....(would this over come the taller paddles of the extreme in the same length) I don't care about harder snow riding just powder and soft wetter snow.
I plan to run a K-Mod skid with 9" wheels if your wondering....opinions please. Let's here from some of you who've tried both PC and extreme as I'm sure there are a lot of guys contemplating the same thing! :D

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
come on guru's....give some comparisons

Everyone who's owned an Apex changes the track and everyone who has recently bought one is going to .....come one guys give us some comparisons...pros and cons etc.....how does the PC float compared to the Extreme etc. etc. A lot of guys can benefit from a solid track performance thread for Apex owners current and future......help a brotha out :D

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Can't compare the two as I have never had a CE. Put a PC on this year, NA Apex with some weight loss:) and I have found it to be an excellent track. Hooks up very well in powder, good sidehilling track, have not rode in any real set up snow yet with it. Mostly been lucky enough to have some good stuff all year long and with this past two weeks of snow, should last for a bit longer. Floats quite well. Not disappointed at all.

N

Nikolai

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Apr 17, 2002
Eagle River, AK
I have a N/A Nytro, and ran a 144 CE last year and am running a 150 CE this year. You can't beat these tracks. They are bullet proof and just flat work. I lost a lot of top end but man do they work good in the deep. Both of my CE's have lost track clips though. I'm not sure why, but it seems like I lose a few every ride.

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
couple questions

Can't compare the two as I have never had a CE. Put a PC on this year, NA Apex with some weight loss:) and I have found it to be an excellent track. Hooks up very well in powder, good sidehilling track, have not rode in any real set up snow yet with it. Mostly been lucky enough to have some good stuff all year long and with this past two weeks of snow, should last for a bit longer. Floats quite well. Not disappointed at all.

>>>
Did you gain any track speed or RPMS going to the narrower lighter track? Also does it climb better in the powder and feel more maneuverable lay over carve easier with the narrower track?
Thanks appreciate your input! :D

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I have a N/A Nytro, and ran a 144 CE last year and am running a 150 CE this year. You can't beat these tracks. They are bullet proof and just flat work. I lost a lot of top end but man do they work good in the deep. Both of my CE's have lost track clips though. I'm not sure why, but it seems like I lose a few every ride.

the 3.0 track likes to hit the tip of the rails and this opens up the clip (flat on one side and open on the other) more so if your running anti ratchets as they like to hang on to the track and flip it up into the rail tips

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
have about 600 miles on my PowerClaw, and it is a great track...It all depends upon your riding...

I ride lots of variety, but prefer best performance to be had when in the DEEP fluff...and I have to admit the CE does better in the DEEP...(keep in mind I am talking 2.5" minimum, and preferably the 3.0" track)...I am not naturally aspirated, but have seen the 3.0" with stock XP's and Stock 2.5" CE's do incredible pulls...keep in mind the XP was drop and rolled, and both were 174's...

if your staying 162...get the best for the least price...they are both great tracks...the PC is really good, but it is hard to beat the 3" track when length is the same...

A
Dec 16, 2007
Alaska
I wish

I would love the 3" track but that would involve way to much work to make it fit the Apex, Id' have to d&R or go Avid extended chaincase which is all more money then I want to spend on a track & skid swap. If VA make a front heat exchanger delte for the Apex like they do for the Nytro I would go that route but I'm not sure how to do it other wise? keep them coming......

Bigrock33

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
>>>
Did you gain any track speed or RPMS going to the narrower lighter track? Also does it climb better in the powder and feel more maneuverable lay over carve easier with the narrower track?
Thanks appreciate your input! :D
A little gain on track speed/RPMs. It climbs better than the OEM, which is not saying a lot, but I have also taken out the sway bar, Gen II's and lightened it up a bunch. How much the track figures into all of this, not sure - but it handles and floats a whole lot better.:)

snowdog484

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Winsted, MN
I put the challenger 2.5" on a "01 RMK five winters ago. Had to drop and roll chaincase, Put in an edge chaincase to run bigger gears. Also had to run 8" drivers to make the right clearance for that track. It was a 151", had to trim rails and remount suspension for it to work. Point being I needed a new track and a buddy said it was way worth it to do the mods to run that track.
It was the best thing i ever did to that sled. This year my beloved 800 went down(ate a ring)with a belly ache. It's time to upgrade and I'm jumping ship to Cat 153" so I can still run THAT TRACK!!! It just performed. It did have a tendency to trench once you broke through a crusted snow, but is there a track that doesn't? I also ported it and I don't know if I would do that again. Maybe it was me, but on a long steep climb it seemed like it kept me on top of the snow a little more without the ports.
You absolutely cannot go wrong with that track!

mtnxr

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
I am running a CE on a SC Apex and like it, it hooks up really well but it vibrates alot. The clearance between the track tips and the tunnel is about 1/8" where the ribs on the cooler stick out.

I am thinking you would get quite a bit of additional track speed with the PC track. I ride with a buddy that is running PC on a SC nytro and the thing rips. I am considering swapping to a PC next season to see what difference it makes.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
i'get some pics as soon as i can if i ever get them. i just put the CE 2.5 on my apex and i am amazed at how well it works. I can just get on and off the throttle in steep tress and not worry about trenching or getting stuck flat out works amazing also i got the 16 wide and i was carving hard doughnuts right on the side in about 8 inches of fresh. ya i got super tired doing it but i did it better than the guys on xp's and rmks in my group lol. my vote is for the CE

Premium Features