• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overreving with my 23 khaos boost 165.

J
Jan 1, 2023
Brackendale
No I have not tested it at the 8100 RPM yet but have at the 8500 RPM I was tring to get a honest opion from someone who had tested with the 80 gram weights but all I am getting is snide remarks. I will be testing with the 80 gram weights and will let you know what I discover. For your information I am a retired Auto mechanic and have done all my own maintenance on my sleds for all my 53 years of riding. Because of my knowledge of engines I am sure it is the reason I have only had one engine warranty problem in those years. That is around 25 sleds that have not let me down. I average about 1500 miles of riding a year and yes probably a little over half those miles are trail miles.
As for your loaded question it is loaded more at the lower RPM but the load is not the problem. The problem is at the higher RPM everything in the motor is being stress more from the speed of the parts. The parts can handle the power much easier then the speed of the pistons going up and down. The 400 RPM difference you refer to means that the piston has to make 400 more trips up and down the cylinder each minute. That adds up to much more stress.
Test away.

D
Nov 17, 2008
How dare you bring science into this!

He knows it's being stressed!

(Nevermind the fact that the higher the rpm the shorter the peak dwell time of load on the components are. This is why drag racers love rpm. The same boost levels that would toss rods out of the block at 3000 rpm is perfectly safe at 6000rpm. Also, the reason hp may stop climbing but it will still go faster is simply more power pulses per second. Every combustion event puts out power which is then carried by the flywheel into the next combustion. Faster it spins the more times power hits the clutch. Slow the Dyno run from a 30 second sweep to a 3 minute sweep and you'll get all different data.)
Why would you get different data other then what heat might produce. I am willing to bet that if the heat of the intake air and the heat of the block remains the same the data between the two sweeps would also be the same !!

C
Dec 14, 2020
Why would you get different data other then what heat might produce. I am willing to bet that if the heat of the intake air and the heat of the block remains the same the data between the two sweeps would also be the same !!

Ever done any Dyno tuning?

It's pretty interesting how you can manipulate the power on a graph by playing with the sweep times.

D
Nov 17, 2008
Sooooooo can you put up the links to all this data that you have special access to
Just google Polaris boost dyno results and it will show you the real flat peak horsepower figures. Of course this is the 22 model but I don't think there is much difference in the 23

D
Nov 17, 2008
Ever done any Dyno tuning?

It's pretty interesting how you can manipulate the power on a graph by playing with the sweep times.
Are you controlling the heat or not. If you are not then yes you can get different data but that data is only different because of uncontrolled heat. Heat is what makes the power and if that is not held constant then the data changes

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
No I have not tested it at the 8100 RPM yet but have at the 8500 RPM I was tring to get a honest opion from someone who had tested with the 80 gram weights but all I am getting is snide remarks. I will be testing with the 80 gram weights and will let you know what I discover. For your information I am a retired Auto mechanic and have done all my own maintenance on my sleds for all my 53 years of riding. Because of my knowledge of engines I am sure it is the reason I have only had one engine warranty problem in those years. That is around 25 sleds that have not let me down. I average about 1500 miles of riding a year and yes probably a little over half those miles are trail miles.
As for your loaded question it is loaded more at the lower RPM but the load is not the problem. The problem is at the higher RPM everything in the motor is being stress more from the speed of the parts. The parts can handle the power much easier then the speed of the pistons going up and down. The 400 RPM difference you refer to means that the piston has to make 400 more trips up and down the cylinder each minute. That adds up to much more stress.
You would be no fun to have as a crew chief. The last thing I think about in my toys is how long can I make this motor last. And I have engines that cost over $100 grand that are no longer under warranty!

D
Nov 17, 2008
Are you controlling the heat or not. If you are not then yes you can get different data but that data is only different because of uncontrolled heat. Heat is what makes the power and if that is not held constant then the data changes
And yes I have done dyno tuning. Started in the early 70's in auto mechanic school where I graduated with a associate degree in auto tune up and instrumentation. Have also been involved numerous other times over the years. I have also built and raced dirt track stock cars even one that was turbo charged.

D
Nov 17, 2008
You would be no fun to have as a crew chief. The last thing I think about in my toys is how long can I make this motor last. And I have engines that cost over $100 grand that are no longer under warranty!
You are not going to win any races if you cann't make your engine last the whole race

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
You sound like a poor person. Who in the hell owns a sled long enough to put 1,500 miles on it??? I'd rather have 50 fun hard miles that 1,000 wimpy miles any day.
First you say you don't ride any trails to get in. Then i find out you have to ride some. Then you say you ride 50 days a year. Then i find out you don't ride 1500 miles. Then you say you're 5'11 and i find out you're 5'4. Starting to see a pattern here

Last edited:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.

I take back my recommendation. I can’t compete with your resume but I thought only engineers and liberals did that? Loading the motor more at lower RPM when the electric oil pump is injecting exponentially less oil makes sense. I’m sure the dyno sheets provided data that the natural harmonics are better at 8,100 than 8,500 RPM.
Maybe you could help me understand why Polaris has raised the rev limiter activation since the 800 CFI days?

C
Dec 14, 2020
Just google Polaris boost dyno results and it will show you the real flat peak horsepower figures. Of course this is the 22 model but I don't think there is much difference in the 23

There's actually quite a lot different on the 23, or a 22 with updated 23 mapping.

But you are going to do what you're going to do. You just wanted assurance it was correct, and when nobody agreed with you, you doubled down on being wrong.

I'm not quite sure how being an auto mechanic makes you a professional 2 stroke engineer.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
There's actually quite a lot different on the 23, or a 22 with updated 23 mapping.

But you are going to do what you're going to do. You just wanted assurance it was correct, and when nobody agreed with you, you doubled down on being wrong.

I'm not quite sure how being an auto mechanic makes you a professional 2 stroke engineer.
^^^^^

Y
Jan 4, 2009
The dyno pulls show the best power around 8000 to 8200. At 8500, you are giving up a lot of HP.
Dyno runs are pretty accurate at showing the peak power RPM. Sometimes, there is variation in the actual HP numbers, but the peak rpm will stay the same.

Premium Features