• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Opinions Needed

C
Dec 8, 2013
Central Idaho
I'm looking for a newer/bigger sled for my daughter who is 11. She is coming off a 340 Doo which she has outgrown, probably should have replaced it last year. I don't want something too big/heavy, I want her to be able to really learn how to ride, not just sit on a machine going down a trail.

Typical riding would be logging roads and a few groomed trails to get up higher, messing around in the meadows and a little climbing/boondocking from there.

Looking at 2 sleds for her. One is a 98 440 Fan AC Jag with 4500 miles or so on it, the other is a 94 440 XCR Polaris with about 2200 on it. Both sleds are very clean. Both owners claim they are mechanically sound, will do a thorough check on whichever one.

I would put this on the youth section, but I thought I'd try here first. Always good to get opinions from folks who ride in the same general areas and conditions.

Any pro's or con's for those specific years or models would be greatly appreciated. Used sleds are enough of a crap shoot already.

Thanks!

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Put my daughter on a 600 XC Polaris when she was about that age. Her progression was SnoScoot, Phazer 136", Polaris 600 XC, Summit X 600.

Have fun dad, they grow up way too fast!

:typing:

G
Jul 1, 2009
Years ago I use to ride a 98 AC Z440 fan cooled which I believe has more power than the Jag. However had plenty of power for the situations you have described. I would think it would last a couple years before "wanting" to upgrade to a 500.

I use to ride a 96 XCR 600. Good power but terrible suspension, I was doing a lot of trail riding and ditch banging. I preferably would choose the AC over the polaris. The AC had a better suspension and was a very reliable sled.

Best of luck!

PS - If the budget allows you may want to look into a Yamaha Phazer Mountain Lite 500. You can come across some good deals on used ones. Four-stroke, electric start, etc. I hear many great things about them and sounds like it would fit your daughter nicely for years to come......enjoy!

Overall - both sleds sound like they would be adequate for your daughter, I just prefer the AC brand.

C
Dec 8, 2013
Central Idaho
Thanks for the reply's.

Agreed a Phazer would be a great sled for her, the problem is everyone around here knows they are in demand, including the sellers. Usually pretty high priced and the market right now doesn't have many, the ones for sale are beat up.

The AC Jag is a better deal, just higher miles. I can check compression easy enough, I'm just concerned about the crank. I have no way of doing a run out test on it. We got burned a couple years ago on a 670 HO Doo for my son, crank went out right after we bought it.

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
My son and daughter started at 9 on 96 cougar 550 , those cat's are nice cause they just run... My son is now 13 and is on a 2001 powder special 600.

These are great sleds but I wish I had poped for a skidoo freeride just for the chassis or a summit 550F. They just can't muscle the older chassis at that size.

C
Dec 8, 2013
Central Idaho
I can't hardly lay the older chassis over! Wish I could have found a Doo also, we've got a 670 for my oldest son, but its a lot of sled even for him. Seems like the smaller Doo's in that time frame are hard to come by.

Sounds like I missed the party on this one....but I'll still offer some un-expert advice.

Here is my daughter's progression:

Started riding by herself at 9 and was on a 340 Polaris. Great sled for busting down the trails. Fast enough to keep up but not too fast to lose control.

At probably 12, she started to ride my wife's '08 Phazer. She almost quit sledding because of that pig. VERY heavy in the front end, tough to steer and no way to maneuver anywhere but a groomed trail.

Next was a Ski-doo 550 fan. Great sled! Light, comfortable ride and good off trail. I remember telling her I wouldn't let her ride it until she could start it by herself. It took sometime, but she did it.

Now she is 17 and rides with me and the boys almost every weekend on her '06 M7. How many 17 year old girls would rather go riding with Dad than hangout with their friends!?!?

Enjoy the time riding with your daughter...it goes VERY fast!

Premium Features