• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

On display at local JD dealer

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
I may or may not have ridden on of those, way back when i was about 10 yrs old. It had steel cleats on the track, as i recall and was a little "squirrly" on the ice :)

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
ever take the primary apart on one of those? the sliding puck design was awesome - I may or may not have worked on a few of those back in the day :)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
ever take the primary apart on one of those? the sliding puck design was awesome - I may or may not have worked on a few of those back in the day :)
No, I never needed to, but the recoil was prone to failing. I don't remember anymore what the issue was but I knew it like it was my right hand palm back then. I was working at the local dealership and one of the locals brings his kids Spitfire in saying recoil won't work. I said I'd take care of it, he looks at the service mgr with that "are you really gonna let the high school kid work on this?" look. Service manager said he could have one of the mechanics look at it in awhile. The guy looked at me and said to the service manager "let him give it a swing". Less than 15 minutes later it's working like new. I can still remember how good that felt impressing boss & customer!

Last edited:

Perk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Boise, Idaho
I was in high school too when I was working on those. Great life back then, I would go to school in the morning for general classes and work the afternoons at the Polaris dealership. I even got paid - funny though, I never got a paycheck from them. All of my money went for parts for my sled. I would finish at 6:00pm and then go to work at the hardware/feed store. I'd work until 9:00 pm. And all of that money went to the dealership too :)

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Oh, I wanted one of those so bad when I was young. I picked the reasonable spitfire because I thought maybe my dad would go for it. Never happened but I’ve made up for it in my adult life and I spoil my nephews with lots of toys!

A
Dec 3, 2012
My farmer neighbors had them and my father bought a Evinrude Skeeter with wide track and boggie suspension, how embarrassing, but atleast it got me hooked for life

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
My uncle was the local John Deere dealer when I was in high school. Rode those sleds and for the time the JD sleds were great.

Even won a cross-country race on a Spitfire.......good times!

Premium Features