• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

No business with these co's that support eliminating snowmobile use!

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Winter Wildlands Alliance www.winterwildlands.org
Want to limit/eliminate snowmobile use on public lands and eliminate snowmobiles from off trail travel.

Corporate Partners: http://winterwildlands.org/our-partners/corporate-partners/
REI, Cliff Bar, Patagonia, North Face, New Belgium and more.

Backcountry Partners http://winterwildlands.org/our-partners/backcountry-partners/
AIARE and many more.

Our Successes
• In 2013 WWA secured a historic Federal Court Ruling directing the U.S. Forest Service to manage snowmobiles under the same guidelines used for all other off-road vehicles on national forest lands.
• Working with four coalition partners, WWA’s 14-year campaign to protect Yellowstone National Park resulted in a long-term winter use plan that eliminated the noisiest, most polluting vehicles, put a reasonable cap on total over-snow vehicle use and led to a remarkable recovery for the unique winter ecosystem, wildlife and visitor enjoyment in our nation’s first national park and most iconic winter sanctuary.

Our Values
• We see human-powered winter recreation as an appropriate use of our public lands, and advocate for land management practices that support high-quality experiences for skiers, snowboarders, snowshoers, mountaineers and other quiet adventurers in the winter backcountry. Above all, we are committed to achieving our mission.

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Black Diamond/Pieps is also on the list. What brand of beacon, shovel, probe, pack do you have?

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Black Diamond/Pieps is also on the list. What brand of beacon, shovel, probe, pack do you have?

I run a BCA tracker. Nice to know when I do upgrade that BCA will once again be getting my business.

As a business decision how can supporting an anti snowmobile program be in their best interest? Is the percentage of non-motorized users that much higher than motorized users? Are they not supporting a fight that will decrease sales?

I run a BCA tracker. Nice to know when I do upgrade that BCA will once again be getting my business.

As a business decision how can supporting an anti snowmobile program be in their best interest? Is the percentage of non-motorized users that much higher than motorized users? Are they not supporting a fight that will decrease sales?

Personally spoke with the Executive Director of AIARE this morning, at the time of their involvement with this program they were ONLY supporting backcountry avalanche education to their knowledge. Several years ago it came to AIARE's attention that they were fighting against motorized users and at that point they recognized that it was not in their interest to continue to be a supporter of this program due to the conflict of interest and broke all ties. He is going to be contacting his people to follow up with the fact they are still listed and want it to be clear that they are not funding any fight against motorized users.

I know the guys and gals at AIARE personally and they fully support shared use and most of them ride sleds as hybrid users as well (several own their own sleds). They are interested in promoting safe travel in avalanche terrain.

I will update as information is provided

Thanks
Brian Lundstedt
Tyler's Backcountry Awareness

I will also be recommending that they get a screen name and can speak for themselves on this/any matter that may arise in the future

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
Brian,
When I contacted many groups that supported WWA, many stated they were unaware that the group was against motorized use. I believed this to be true in most cases, since some groups like the WWA can mislead.

Can you ask AIARE why two of their partners (New Belgium and Black Diamond/Pieps) support the WWA?

http://avtraining.org/our-partners/

Not trying to stir the pot, but thought you may be able to put pressure on AIARE to get some of their partners to stop supporting the Winter Wildland Alliance. Anything we can do, will help the sport of snowmobiling and our right to ride.

A
Oct 28, 2013
AIARE

AIARE's mission is to save lives through avalanche education. We do not advocate for nor against snowmobile (or any other user groups) access. That is not our purview. We do support efforts to educate people about avalanche safety, including snowmobilers. Myself and many involved with AIARE regularly ride snowmobiles, some exclusively.

AIARE's involvement with WWA was to support their efforts at avalanche education, nothing more. AIARE hasn't given WWA any money for years. We will however contact WWA and ask them to remove our logo.

AIARE's partners support our efforts in avalanche safety and education. Some may support other interests people in this forum do not like. It is not our purview to tell our partners who and what they should do with their support. If they support avalanche education and safety, then we would not be serving our mission by refusing to work with them.

AIARE's mission is to save lives through avalanche education. We do not advocate for nor against snowmobile (or any other user groups) access. That is not our purview. We do support efforts to educate people about avalanche safety, including snowmobilers. Myself and many involved with AIARE regularly ride snowmobiles, some exclusively.

AIARE's involvement with WWA was to support their efforts at avalanche education, nothing more. AIARE hasn't given WWA any money for years. We will however contact WWA and ask them to remove our logo.

AIARE's partners support our efforts in avalanche safety and education. Some may support other interests people in this forum do not like. It is not our purview to tell our partners who and what they should do with their support. If they support avalanche education and safety, then we would not be serving our mission by refusing to work with them.

Hi Brian! Thanks for getting on and sharing directly!

I agree that is not your place to refuse funding if they also donate to another group you might not agree with. So again I say as members of the motorized community we need to contact The people on this list and let them how we feel as a collective, you can not ask a non-profit to not accept funding... it's hard enough to get (I can speak from experience) New Belgium supports a lot of local and nation companies, that is great but maybe as AIARE did not know the mission in the beginning they are unaware as well

S

snowww1

Nov 26, 2007
So essentially some of these corporations are supporting avalanche education for skiers, but not snowmobilers??? Or they are supporting avalanche education for snowmobilers as long as they stay on the trails or off public lands?

If these companies want to work with or gain business from snowmobilers, they can't be fighting against snowmobiling.

Real simple. You're either for snowmobiling or against it.

Other option may be that you don't get involved with those who have had made a statement by supporting groups that are against certain sports. Stay neutral by not partnering with those who are against some users.

E
Jan 10, 2012
Wisco/Wyo
keep digging up the truth boys

Great conversation here, with some easy research many of you might be surprised to learn that by wearing your beloved Gore tex gear you are indirectly supporting the closure of our riding areas. Gore tex sponsors the Conservation Alliance (easy to find on their website under "community"). In turn, the Conservation Alliance has granted $125,000 since 2008 including $40k in 2013 to the Winter Wildlands Alliance. Gore did make at least one donation to the Blue Ribbon Coalition that i am aware of in the last two years but more pressure needs to be applied to these companies. I highly doubt the dollar amounts are comparable.

N

Nychaze

Sep 15, 2012
Westminster, CO
I would suggest e-mailing the sponsors or posting on their facebook page. Specifically New Belgium and KEEN

KEEN
MEDIA RELATIONS
Julie Atherton, JAM Media Collective
TEL: 415.839.7546
EMAIL: julie@jampr.net

New Belgium
nbb@newbelgium.com
1-888-NBB-4044 or locally at 970-221-0524

Or any of the others...

Last edited:

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
Dang, the list is long. It certainly makes one think about a purchase. It appears that in order to "support" our sport one would need to do a ton of research just to go buy a decent pair of hiking boots or light weight rain gear or even a day/overnight backpack.
It seems as though we may want to take the approach of sharing a list of the businesses that we WANT to support. BCA was mentioned above. If the research has been done and BCA is good to go--we want to support them--then by all means, share the list.
I will support the businesses that support equal access to public land for all users--period.
Thanks Mike for reminding us to be wise with our $$$.

BigT

B
Jan 15, 2008
Covington, WA
I agree with Big T. It really is a crying shame that we are incrementally yet consistently diving those coffin nails into our sport by just trying to buy quality products. A real shame, for sure. Are we really surprised by most of these companies (REI, North Face, Merrell, Patagonia???!!)
Please, let's all aggressively support the companies that DO NOT support these holier-than-thou organizations. The woods were created for all, not just those that have an extreme axe to grind. See you OFF the trail brothers!

Premium Features