• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to Sledding / Board Access

Publiconion

Lifetime Membership
Jul 24, 2014
Squamish, BC.
Hi,
Squamish based and been boarding for a while. Figured I'd try and get into some powder via sled. I picked up an old sled last year to do a few reconisance runs (around Brandywine). Got the avi gear and AST Level 1. First thing I figured out was that I need some sled skills, second is that it would be awesome to find a few buds to give me some advice and show me the ropes.
Upgraded to a 2011 Summit 800 for the coming season and would like to hook up with some people that can put up with a rookie sledder. Would also welcome any advice that more experienced sledders/board access folks are willing to give.
Cheers

snowmoherb

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle - ish
www.butterfieldplumbing.com
Try asking again closer to sled season, it can get pretty dead in here in the summer!

Brandywine is great area for SnowMoBoarding. Tons of people doing it and metric F*ck Ton of riding areas around there...

Cheers

:beer;:beer;

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Get a good split board setup so you can access steep terrain for boarding. I've found that riding doubles up the terrain I'm interested in boarding down just isn't going to work. I built a 174" track sled and it still wasn't working for the steep stuff as well as I envisioned. Leave the board in the truck a few days and just practice sledding. Sidehilling is key. Took me a couple seasons to learn the value of that. Spent much of my first 2 years stuck and not sledding or boarding, just digging. Roll your sled to get unstuck, it's fast & easiest, get over the idea of rolling a $$ toy, it's worth it. Buy a decent rack (CFR DTM works great for me). Stay safe & shred:beer;

Publiconion

Lifetime Membership
Jul 24, 2014
Squamish, BC.
Cool. Thanks for the advice. Falls pretty well in line with what I've been figuring out so far. Ha, our first stuck we dug down about 3 feet before we finally figured out dragging the skis to point downhill.
Enjoy the season and visa versa, look me up if you head up here. I'm just down the road from Whistler.
Cheers!

T
Nov 27, 2013
Hey
I am in a same boat, tons of b/c ski experience but only a season on a sled. Just upgraded to a 800 summit last year and was getting the hang on it by the end. Looking for beg/int sled ski partner to explore, shoot me an email.

D
Sep 6, 2011
Calgary
Hey guys, glad to hear you're loving the sled access. I bought my first sled to go snowmoboarding and 7 years later have never taken my snowboard up there once.

Please keep in mind that while you may consider the snowmobile a means to an end it does not absolve you of your responsibilities as snowmobilers. As far as authorities are concerned you're sledders by virtue of using sleds even though you may not identify yourselves as such. You are still responsible for observing and respecting closure areas(as much as we all hate them). I've seen lots of skiers/boarders take sleds into closure areas thinking it's ok because to them they're just shuttling. This kind of poaching falls back on the local sled clubs and affects our access efforts.

End finger-wagging.

L
Dec 17, 2008
Rule # 1 to newbs. Don't snake others who have spent time putting in a shuttle track. Go find your own zone and explore! Respect others space and efforts.
I have spent many times making a shuttle track, then start skiing, only to have a crew show up and proceed to f**k up the track in no time and put questionable looking lines with lame traversing/wiggle turns and so on...
Now I just go sledding... So FYI.
Rule #2- don't blab about you adventures on the internet. Otherwise, your sled-ski stash will be invaded in short time due, in part, to Canada's immigration policies and ever-expanding population in the "lower mainland".

Last edited:
Premium Features