• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to me 01 rmk 800 151.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
Just picked one up for a decent deal. It's going to be my first sled and is all stock except for a 3" riser and powder sleds. I used to go with my gma back in the late 90s, but haven't gone since. I'm a boat mechanic and feel that I'm able to do all the work needed on my sled, just want to know what should I do before I head out ridding in 3 weeks? What's common on these? I know about the cranks and the water pump belt.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
What's the best oil? I work at a boat dealer, is a good synthetic 2 stroke oil good, or is a certain oil better than others in the cold.

Snow Duck

The Great and Mighty SnowDuck
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2009
Kuna Idaho to Elk City Idaho..
i just bought 01 800 snowcheck roller last night so if you need any parts let me know...i pulled the 800 and put a 7 in the one i have... congrats on the purchase.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
It's got 2022 miles on her.

Any brand better than the others?

And how so you tell of its a snow check and what's different?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Those are good sleds.

I had one until last year. My dad still has his. 3500 miles on his.

Check crank run-out. rebalance the clutch.

Castrol GTX is reportedly the SAME as the Polaris oil. IT's a good oil.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
Snow duck, what color is the skid on the front? This one is yellow. Trying to find a red one.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've got a set of red trialing arms for that.
Brand new take-offs.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
Got the trailing arms covered. Unless a tree monster bites mine. Looking to change all of the yellow stuff to red. Think all I have left is the front skid plate.

R
Oct 7, 2009
washington
I use phillips synjects and that is really good oil. Besides clutch maintenance grease everything that moves before the season, also the carbs should be cleaned if they haven't been serviced. The crank on mine went out at 5000 miles almost on the dot, but that can be prevented with having it rebuilt or getting a big bearing kit. To tell if it is snow checked it will have all fox shocks and a red hood like in the picture posted.

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
O sweet! It's a snow check than. I thought the fox shocks were aftermarket.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Minneapolis,MN
Mainly its just keeping every thing else going like general maintenance stuff . We have three big block 800's with a total of over 15000 miles on them but have never had any engine problems and they were all modified from the get go. I am rebuilding shocks on my 02 rite now and i used to pull the thing apart every year and check all the bearings and make sure none of the bushings are worn too much but for the most part, with that low of miles on it you probably don't need much just check everything over and make sure everything is loose and grease it up good. Make sure you got a good spare belt too :) Change all your fluids and have fun riding

V

villain

Nov 2, 2013
That's great news to me!! Look online and all you see is pto side goes boom. It's good to hear from people who ride them and don't have a problem.

Can't wait for snow. Yesterday I pulled the pipe and can, sprayed some high to paint on it so it looks good. While I was In there I adjusted the oil pump cable, it had stretched a little. I pulled the chain case cleaned it out really good, put on a new gasket and filled it up with 10 oz of polaris oil. Pulled out the worn out hyfax's and replaced with polaris white. Today I'm heading out in the garage to lube all the zerk fittings, set track tension. ( what's the easiest way to set tension?). Change the lights, fix the ignition switch. ( anyone have a diagram for the switch wiring?). And going to pack the bearings on the trailer so I can safely pick up the wife's sled in Utah next weekend.

Premium Features