• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to AV bags - Vest or backpack?

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
Leaning towards a vest - curious what are the pro's and con's of each. Biggest complaint on the vests is they are too hot - but don't you adjust layering to account for the vest ?

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
It's really about weight, mobility, and "features". Vests are heavier, but offer more protection and front pockets. Packs are lighter and offer more mobility, but you have to still wear a transceiver harness and you have no chest protection. Personally, the differences in weight and mobility are small enough that I chose a vest (I have both a BCA MtnPro and a Snowpulse Charger) to get the benefits of having pockets and chest protection. Some people don't like that they can't unzip their coats, but that's never really been an issue for me. Just unzip the vest a bit with your jacket. With the Snowpulse Charger, you can't do that, but it's slim enough I've never really had ventilation issues.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I prefer the vest as well. More comfortable weight distribution and built in impact protection so don't need a techvest especially with the BCA, it has a lot of protection built in. Only time I notice it being too warm is in late spring when most guys have quit riding anyway.

OrangeKowJumper

Lifetime Membership
Jul 31, 2010
Vest all day .. .carries the weight so much better . ..torso protection ..has pockets but totally not enough ..dunno how manufacturers don't get that ya need more pockets ..

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Love mt vest. Biggest issue i have is my lack of access into my jacket. Vest is warmer for sure but love how it doesnt move. If you like to jump, the vests are way better.

I have snowpulse Highmark Spire

K

klarkkentster

Apr 22, 2020
Bremerton, WA
After trying on both options I went with a vest as well. Very comfortable and I can adjust with layers to offset heat. I went with the BCA vest - fit me better the snow pulse.

Premium Features