• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New regulations coming for BC backcountry

S
Nov 29, 2008
Falkland BC
In their own stats, more people died in non snowmobile caused avalanches and snow mobile deaths are way down compared to previous years, yet, we still get targeted , I just don't get it !!!!!

We need our own special interest group to lobby for us !!!!!!!!

wrtmani

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kalispell, Mt
Be afraid. Very afraid...

"Hello. I'm from the government. I'm here to help you."

Words that strike fear in the hearts of men.....

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
this happens in every aspect of life, a few people wreck it for everyone else. if these people are stupid enough to go out there without proper equipment or doing there homework on the conditions of the slopes thats there problem. let em go kill themselves. less dumbasses that you have to worry about hitting you cuz they cut corners on the trails.

Well... sure, "a few wreck it for everybody" does come to mind.

BUT, the headliner we're fighting here is the BIS deaths and that was 200 people on the hill. "Never a slide there in 20 years" I read on here, but basic course will tell you to forget stats and look at the slope with fresh eyes.

What ARE the conditions NOW on this date and time??

Correct use of statistics for me is the number of sledders out there vs. accidents year for year.

Rune

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
snowmobiling is the new skate boarding.....driving around in nelson with a 2010 m8 poking out of my POS 93 chevy gets you: crappy drive through service, shady looks, RANDOM COPS PULLING YOU OVER, and my favorite frequent arguements with the local hippies. i personally think it is jealousy.
i know for a fact the 15 to 20 hippies i run into on the trail hiking SOLO every year sure look jealous as i go crawling by. (because i have respect)

HOWEVER, i do think that there is a lack of knowledge in the back country. and i belive that if we respect our LACK of knowledge as much as we respect what we know, we will see the avy deaths in sledders PLUMMIT to near nothing.
my 2 cents

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
snowmobiling is the new skate boarding.....driving around in nelson with a 2010 m8 poking out of my POS 93 chevy gets you: crappy drive through service, shady looks, RANDOM COPS PULLING YOU OVER, and my favorite frequent arguements with the local hippies. i personally think it is jealousy.
i know for a fact the 15 to 20 hippies i run into on the trail hiking SOLO every year sure look jealous as i go crawling by. (because i have respect)

HOWEVER, i do think that there is a lack of knowledge in the back country. and i belive that if we respect our LACK of knowledge as much as we respect what we know, we will see the avy deaths in sledders PLUMMIT to near nothing.
my 2 cents

Really?? I've never had any such problems....that is very strange

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
When are they going to quit trying to regulate everything that my be dangerous? Every single person that rides in the backcountry knows there is a risk of Avys, and that you could be caught in one. And my not come back. Are they regulating the skiers and the hikers? Motorcycles, four wheelers, Horsebackers, where does it end? Does anyone think this will really take effect? If it takes hold there it will not be long that the same thing will happen in the lower 48. Another way they can use to keep us out of the backcountry.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Typical govt. They will most likely not get as big of peice they are trying to bite off here but I can assure you in the end they will settle for some type of change to they way you sled or organize events. Weather it be a "organized" event or not. They will surely find some way to wiggle in here.

P

powder puff

Nov 26, 2007
Revy
Well... sure, "a few wreck it for everybody" does come to mind.

BUT, the headliner we're fighting here is the BIS deaths and that was 200 people on the hill. "Never a slide there in 20 years" I read on here, but basic course will tell you to forget stats and look at the slope with fresh eyes.

Turbo slid 2 wks. before the incident, things could of been a whole lot worse also if we had of got the other 8 ft. of snow that didn`t fall last winter.
If the licensing fees came back into the snowmobiling organizations and promoting avalance awareness it would be a good idea, but I guess we`ll have to wait and see where that ones goes.
Next time an event of this type is going to happen you`ll see gov. close the mtn. Seriously!!!!!!!!

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
They provide free needles for the drug addicts to make that safe.....
Not sure I was headed with that but it is all a bunch of BS.
How many in gov have even seen a snowmobile let alone get what they are about.
Natural selection - maybe not. Bad luck for some - yep.

Is education important - you bet. So is experience.
BC will die without the tourism $$ in the winter, so I don't see things coming to a hault. Maybe just more of a pain the *** & wallet.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
They provide free needles for the drug addicts to make that safe.....
Not sure I was headed with that but it is all a bunch of BS.
How many in gov have even seen a snowmobile let alone get what they are about.
Natural selection - maybe not. Bad luck for some - yep.

Is education important - you bet. So is experience.
BC will die without the tourism $$ in the winter, so I don't see things coming to a hault. Maybe just more of a pain the *** & wallet.

Government cares about tourism??? Not our government. Look at the Town of West Yellowstone, Montana VS the Yellowstone park system. We have groups of people working with/on the government to shut down our back country. "Sleds are generally destructive to animals and the land" They have no proof but they are getting more sleds on fewer acres. If left alone, sooner or later they will find a reason to lock it all up. Sorry to be a killjoy but a boarder is just a governmental line. We are the only bunch standing before them. Speak with wisdom of the past, not some undetermined future dollar amount. Be as responsible as you can. There is more money behind shutting you down then there is in your wallet. These groups have deep pockets and will sue the government if they don’t like the result. Governments will settle and you'll get sold out every time. Make every meeting in your area and do all you can.

Premium Features